Scenario: Working on Germany (not finished)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Scenario: Working on Germany (not finished)

Post by 103er-Fan »

Hello OpenTTD folks!

With the newGRF support comming along quite well, I am getting more and more interested in openTT. While there are quite a few good big scenarios out there, I thought it would be great to have a proper scenario for Micheal Blunks awesome DB set.

I spend the last few hours with coloring a raw map of germany and parts of the surrounding countries. Now here is my problem:
I couldn't manage to get the height settings right, because of this, everything I have at the moment is a flat shaped land. No mountains, cities or industries yet. Is there somebody out there who is good in creating mountain areas? Maybe we could work on it together....

Cities wouldn't be much of a problem. Actually, I already started to place a few of them at the moment. They just aren't included in the upload.

About the scenario:
I used a pre-made image I found on the web and two-coloured the whole thing with GIMP. Because I am a lazy b******, I could've gotten a bit more out of the surrounding countries, which let you have some interesting international traffic. Size is 2048x2048.
The rivers might be a bit too large......

Sorry for opening a new topic, but since I would really like some help here, I thought it would be more productive to open a new topic about it. I attached the raw scenario, so you can have a look at it.

Greetings,
103er-Fan
Attachments
germany-raw.scn
(327.97 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
LKRaider
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LKRaider »

You could try using the PNGmap import patch to create the map with heights based on a picture; that's if you have a heightmap file wich you can use, heh.

It might be easier than making by hand, tho.
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 103er-Fan »

That is the problem, I couldn't get a usuable heightmap file :(
LKRaider
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LKRaider »

If you get a topographic or relief map, you could draw over it and make a heightmap yourself. It still might be easier than using the scenery editor.

If you have a good atlas, you could try scanning and painting over the image.

There is a (small) map here:
http://www.tordach.org/de/gustnado.htm

There's a bigger map here, bit too big to make a map of whole germany (seems nice for localized regions, if not a bit too old, tho):
http://www.posselt-landkarten.de/map_of ... _index.htm

Also, try this google search: germany physical
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 103er-Fan »

Thanks for the links! I already got something quite usable. I am currently correcting the generated landscape, especially the rivers.
Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jakal »

Awesome, a 2048*2048 map of germany, thats what ive been waiting for :)
[Jakal]
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 103er-Fan »

Will take some time though, just got home from work and... what should I say? This and the following week will be quite busy ones :(
railer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railer »

..together with the dbset, this one will be the best scenario ever!!
good luck!!

Return to “General OpenTTD”