Problems on the AMD64 server at 82.161.56.81

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

markr
Engineer
Engineer

Problems on the AMD64 server at 82.161.56.81

Post by markr »

For attention of the admin of the aforementioned openttd server:

On your "AMD64 (large empty map)" server, desync detection appears to be disabled.

That's to say, it's possible to play for years after a desync, and not get chucked out. If you quit and rejoin, your company is destroyed, trains are all going wrong etc.

This is clearly a server config problem - perhaps you (the admin of the aforementioned server) don't understand what the desync checker is for. Disabling it DOES NOT stop desyncs, it only stops the game detecting desyncs.

Mark
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Desyncs are detected by the client not by the server, if there is a desync the client will disconnect it self. I believe this (companies being completely different after reconnect) has been reported a couple of times before, and is being looked into by the devs - I am not sure, so you may want to pop into the irc channel (#openttd at Freenode).
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

You can a ctually stop desync detection? I didn't know that.

It sounds pretty stupid though, except for testing purposes I wonder why you'd want to do such a thing...
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
dino
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Problems on the AMD64 server at 82.161.56.81

Post by dino »

markr wrote:For attention of the admin of the aforementioned openttd server:

On your "AMD64 (large empty map)" server, desync detection appears to be disabled.

That's to say, it's possible to play for years after a desync, and not get chucked out. If you quit and rejoin, your company is destroyed, trains are all going wrong etc.

This is clearly a server config problem - perhaps you (the admin of the aforementioned server) don't understand what the desync checker is for. Disabling it DOES NOT stop desyncs, it only stops the game detecting desyncs.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I am running these AMD64 servers. The desyncs can occor for just about anything, for some reason the small map kicks me about 10 times in 1 minute, but then runs perfectly fine the rest of the game.

This can be caused by anything. Remember what you did and report it to someone who can do something with it. I report server errors to sf.net when a server crashed (ie stopped running). With your help we can all make openttd run much better.

As lucaspiller said, I cannot switch off desync checks.
markr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by markr »

Desync checking does not appear to be working properly on this server. I don't know how it's happened, but I can imagine that setting the net_sync_freq parameter too high would cause this.

I played for a while earlier and had some desync problems which were not visible until I reconnected.

I also observed the same thing happening to other players. So it's not just me.

Mark
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

I had that stange problem on the server too...
I had played 4 years, after i rejoined, an oil refinery built on my tracks 8)
dino
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dino »

markr wrote:Desync checking does not appear to be working properly on this server. I don't know how it's happened, but I can imagine that setting the net_sync_freq parameter too high would cause this.

I played for a while earlier and had some desync problems which were not visible until I reconnected.

I also observed the same thing happening to other players. So it's not just me.

Mark
Mark,

I have set it to these:

net_sync_freq = 200
net_frame_freq = 3

nff was set to 3 because the server keep telling me that: client bla is to slow try increasing..... so I did.

According to the docs: "A good value for Internet-games is 2 or 3", so I set it to 3.

Any suggestions?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

You may want to try setting net_sync_freq back to the default of 100 to see if that sorts of the problems. I shouldn't think so, but you may want to try it.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com

Return to “General OpenTTD”