README: How to make useful bug reports

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

README: How to make useful bug reports

Post by lucaspiller »

There seem to be a lot of users who are confused of how to create useful bug reports, so I hope this will clear it up for you. It would also be nice if a moderator would sticky it. :wink:

Are you sure it is new?
First, before you make a bug report, have a search around the forum, wiki and on Soureforge to make sure that your bug has not been discused before. It will only waste our time if it has, or if it is infact not a bug. If you cannot find anything, don't worry, and just continue posting a report.

The Title
Include some useful information. If the game crashed when you tried to build a station put that in the title, for example: "Crash when building new station". Something like "OpenTTD crashed" is not useful, so please do not put that.

The report
Make sure that you include as much information as possible! With this, your report will be useful, and the bug will be fixed quicker. Here is a list of what information you should include:
- Game version (i.e. a release: 0.4.0 or an SVN revision: r2357)
- Any error messages produced (if you don't get one, run the game with the debug -d switch)
- How reproducable the bug is, and if it is reproducable the steps to reproduce it
- What you expected to happen, and what actually happens
- And additional information, for example your operating system

Attachments to include
If possible please please please include a savegame near when the crash happens, if you don't have a recent save please post an autosave (in the save/autosave directory). Also make sure you include your openttd.cfg, without this we will not be able to see what patches you have enabled to try and reproduce your bug.

Notes
If you are using a modified version of the game (i.e. Integrated Nightly) or any patches, these will not be supported by the OpenTTD team, so please try to reproduce your bug with the normal version and see if it still occurs. If it does then report it.

I hope this helps to produce more dev friendly bug reports, and feel free to make / suggest any additions or changes.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

It seems people are pretty blind cause there is a stick right on top saying What to do when you find a bug - READ

But I'll merge your tips with that and continue bashing blind bugreporters :P
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I'm sure you've all seen the link in my .sig.

(Hint: That would *not* qualify as a "Useful Bug Report". ;) )
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
zegenie
Engineer
Engineer

Bug tracker

Post by zegenie »

If desired, I can host a bug tracker at my website.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

There is one at the SourceForge
zegenie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zegenie »

never mind then.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”