New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by GeekToo »

Hey Lord,
If I gave you the impression that I was mad or something, that was the wrong impression: I'm not.

It's open source world, so anybody can make and use the graphics they want. And more than a 1000 downloads of my grass already gave me the idea I must have done something right.
I was just wondering, if the grass on 64px and 256px are not considered compatible anymore, than that is a worry for me, because that was the goal to begin with.
So I replied in some confusion: did I go in the wrong direction somewhere along the road, and should it be fixed, so the grasses are considered compatible again, or not.

But the fact that someone does like some other grass better than mine, does not really bother me: that's just a matter of taste. And I made the grass because I liked to do some creative work, that's it.
But seeing the latest developments gave me the idea, that I did not succeed my original goal, that's why I did post my previous post.
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

bens grass is a little bland, and i think yours is nicer. I do however like the grid lines, it makes it feel more like original ttd. i dont know if it would help yours. to me- yours feels like a more realistic grass- like a new grf, and thats a good thing!

i think bens grass at the moment has the advantage that there are more sprites, and i think people will use it because of that, but i think that having yours as the 64px and bens as the higher zoom levels (if it ever happens) will work nicely.

I have to say- in the last week or so, the 32bit branch has really started to take off with all these new bits being done. Its strange how it has progressed grawhicswise fairly slowly for so long. Im really impressed.
previously known as daylight
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

mph wrote: I have to say- in the last week or so, the 32bit branch has really started to take off with all these new bits being done. Its strange how it has progressed grawhicswise fairly slowly for so long. Im really impressed.
It's not branch..It's official trunk BTW :)
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

ha. :oops:

yeah. im up too late. I just meant 32bit graphics in general (but then you knew that i think :wink: )

i just draw graphics in 8bit so forget its all the same thing these days.
previously known as daylight
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

.. just to let you know what I'm donig right now..This is an actual screenshot btw :)
teaser.png
teaser.png (82.39 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
Todo:
Two sprites more + that electricity going over wires...+smoke
Assign good materials...if you like these, tell me, because I myself want to change them only because I think you guys think it would be better :D And I want smb else but me to play with this too :)

UPDATE:

Now I have made some other parts..Comments please..
teaser.png
teaser.png (85.99 KiB) Viewed 10262 times
The original looks like this
original_power_plant.png
original_power_plant.png (46.78 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

I have finished with the power plant...No comments yet :( though.
Anyway...I'm working on the construction phases so you won't get tar yet..
Attachments
power_plant_32bpp.png
power_plant_32bpp.png (23.09 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

lordazamath wrote:I have finished with the power plant...No comments yet :( though.
Anyway...I'm working on the construction phases so you won't get tar yet..
It looks really nice for small zoom, but I think, that for big zoom (I hope, that will be????) it has small details.

I don´t know, if someone do it, so I make a tropical flats:
Which is better? With window shutters or without them?
On the third picture, you can see, how can seem it in game (sometime in a future)
Attachments
trop_flat.png
trop_flat.png (106.25 KiB) Viewed 10191 times
trop_flat_2.png
trop_flat_2.png (104.79 KiB) Viewed 10186 times
open copy.png
open copy.png (618.08 KiB) Viewed 10676 times
Last edited by Wacki on 06 Dec 2007 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

This is absolutely good :) If you can, could you redo the higher ones too (the ones I did..) Mine look...very ugly..Cna't compare to your's :D
BTW..you use Blender, right? If so, then I guess you used UV-mapping for textures? They look fantastic, but I don't know how to do something like that myself...Perhaps if you haven't noticed, I have done ery few things that have some texture too :(

Lord
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

lordazamath wrote:This is absolutely good :) If you can, could you redo the higher ones too (the ones I did..) Mine look...very ugly..Cna't compare to your's :D
BTW..you use Blender, right? If so, then I guess you used UV-mapping for textures? They look fantastic, but I don't know how to do something like that myself...Perhaps if you haven't noticed, I have done ery few things that have some texture too :(

Lord
Thank you!
And I don´t use blender, I am using 3dsmax. Textures I found on http://www.cgtextures.com and this flats was easy UV-mapping it, "rounded" things is very difficult UV-mapping for me too! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

lordazamath: Beautiful Power Plant. It looks really cool.

Wacki: IMO Version 1 looks better.

And here's something from me: building pack - buildings by Ben_Robbins_
Actually there are only five buildings. Replaced: Bungaloes, some small bulidings, castle and statue (not CO)
Sorry that there's no screenshot.
--- removed ---
Last edited by DeletedUser5 on 07 Dec 2007 12:18, edited 2 times in total.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb...Try to get a version with alpha channel..or there will be ugly stripes in edges..
oi.png
oi.png (25.86 KiB) Viewed 10096 times
And now....I represent you Power Plant! Screenshots in previous posts..
Power_Plant.tar
(60 KiB) Downloaded 13583 times
Lord
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

OK. I will ask Ben_Robbins_ for those.

And here's another pack - town pack. Town Roads and concrete. Sorry but I don't have screenshot.
town_pack.tar
(90 KiB) Downloaded 14410 times
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Just an idea to throw in for maybe some further thought down the line. It would be nice to see power plants change over time just like building sets do. Because the power plant used in TT gets kinda old fashioned after a while.

It could go from Old style Coal > Modern Fossil type fuel > Nuclear Fission > Nuclear Fusion/Solar or something.

Would take a handful of time though for a small change gameplay wise.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb..I think you should update this http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/List_ ... 32bpp_tars too :)
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

OK. But somebody else will make a screenshot. I don't have much time for that.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Eddie wrote:It could go from Old style Coal > Modern Fossil type fuel > Nuclear Fission > Nuclear Fusion/Solar or something.

Would take a handful of time though for a small change gameplay wise.
But the power plant always requires coal. You'd have to change that if you change the underlying technology, and that's a big gameplay change.
#################
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Grass: 1 problem the grass I have made currently has is that when you zoom out it blurs because of the stile in which the sprites are scaled down. I have shrunk all the grass sprites now down to the various scales, but I need to work on these. I started and then I spent this evening being blessed with power cut after power cut, so after loosing a lot of work I hadn’t save I have then not been able to get back to where I was which is frustrating. I have pretty much got the full zoom no line tiles sorted though, which is what I needed prier to shrinking them so the lines can be added separately rather than being shrunk proportionately.

Lordazamath: That is very true to the original style, very nice power plant indeed.

Wacki:: That is really good, I prefer it with the shutters personally, it makes it look more lived in. Without the shutters it appears more prison like. The lampposts are nice also, the shadows make them fit nicely. I think the violet tops may look better slightly de-saturated and maybe toned down also. For render where you have got the shadow, did you use a matte/shadow textured plane, I’m just wondering because of the effect it’s had on the building by blocking ambient light.

Soeb: I did request that you don’t use graphics that I haven’t released when you asked to use graphics. I’m fine with you using tars, but I specifically said no to dragging sprites off the forum, and the white edging is a result of doing that. I’m not going to chase people around that do so with my work, but please respect that request. Thanks.
Ben
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote: I think the violet tops may look better slightly de-saturated and maybe toned down also.
Ehm, I am not sure, that I understood you correctly :( (It is my bad english)

What are you thinking about it?
Attachments
flat_sprite.PNG
flat_sprite.PNG (5.25 KiB) Viewed 9738 times
tropical_flats.png
tropical_flats.png (268.65 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
I am 3dsmax artist.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Soeb: I did request that you don’t use graphics that I haven’t released when you asked to use graphics. I’m fine with you using tars, but I specifically said no to dragging sprites off the forum, and the white edging is a result of doing that. I’m not going to chase people around that do so with my work, but please respect that request. Thanks.
OK. Understood. Tar's removed.
BlazE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlazE »

at Wacki: Wow the house looks really good. The dirt on the wall texture at the top is nice. The building stages are well done. Furthermore I like the one with the shutters more than the other one.

Return to “Graphics Development”