New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by LordAzamath »

I now started working/pngcodecing on the road tiles. However, I think it would be useful to have the sprites w/o pavement too, so somebody (possibly me or GeekToo) can gimp/photoshop them onto Geek's grass tiles. Then we would have the usual roads for Temperate too.

EDIT: You seem to miss these tiles..wonder why?
missed.png
missed.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Ben, I'm looking forward to hear from you :D
Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Not only those are missing.
missing.png
missing.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
A few rail tracks were done so that shouldn't be hard.

EDIT: BTW why they aren't there
SECOND_EDIT: And about that. I done eleven roads. Now I need to work on slopes. Of course all credits go to Ben_Robbins_. All coded.
roads.tar
(110 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Screenshot from game:
Screenshot from game:
screenshot.png (50.83 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb wrote:Not only those are missing.

A few rail tracks were done so that shouldn't be hard.

EDIT: BTW why they aren't there
SECOND_EDIT: And about that. I done eleven roads. Now I need to work on slopes. Of course all credits go to Ben_Robbins_. All coded.

DId you cut the road sprites from the link GeekToo pointed?
I managed to code the city roads with elevations too, but there are some errors in it, of which I cannot understand. A picture shows it the best
I originally PM'd GeekToo today at noon, but I now give you the tar too.
The green circles are places, where it's normal, red where it isn't normal. I dunno why it acts like this
ohnoeeo.png
ohnoeeo.png (308.6 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
If anyone can help, please align these sprites well.
THIS IS NOT HERE FOR DISTRIBUTION YET! It needs some aligning more, but I can't understand the errors here.
So please edit it and repost it. (Whoever the coder might be)

@Soeb : Don't codec the grass sprites, I guess you have done that, because you said it's a screenie. GeekToo has done very beautiful grass and codeced it too.
EDIT: Forgot to attach the .tar :D

EDIT: GeekToo said that there is no problem with the tar. I myself saw that in 0.6beta too so I will release it soon.(I'll make all the roads lower 1 bit)
Attachments
city_roads.tar
(61.5 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by LordAzamath on 19 Nov 2007 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Sorry Lord for not responding, but I was busy with a new project ( not much comments on the bus, so I guess it's ready ).
So here the start of the 32bpp iron ore mine. Still a lot to be done, just to give an impression.
For the texture of the roof, dmh_mac owes a thank you, I did use some of his techniques for that texture

<edit> Lord, I tried to solve your problem with the city roads, but I can not reproduce it .
Attachments
iron_ore1.png
iron_ore1.png (145.37 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

GeekToo wrote:Sorry Lord for not responding, but I was busy with a new project ( not much comments on the bus, so I guess it's ready ).
So here the start of the 32bpp iron ore mine. Still a lot to be done, just to give an impression.
For the texture of the roof, dmh_mac owes a thank you, I did use some of his techniques for that texture

<edit> Lord, I tried to solve your problem with the city roads, but I can not reproduce it .
Pretty nice! But do you say, that there is nothing wrong with the screen you get? Then I might aswell put test it in another nightly (or 0.6beta1) and if it works there, I will release it.

EDIT:
@Soeb..
Houston! Houston! We've got a problem! Our roads don't sync. Actually even your own roads don't sync with eachother. The question is that if the pavement should be higher than the other terrain or the road lower than the other terrain. Either way will give us some problems. I guess it should be higher, but then it won't be nice with other buildings, (I tested on my tropical flats)

EDIT2. BTW I only now saw your postconunt :D Welcome to posting :D
Attachments
ermerm.png
(833.64 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by LordAzamath on 19 Nov 2007 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Well, I know. I'll try to do something. But first I will do those roads with GeekToo grass. BTW I have same problem with city roads. They a little too small.

EDIT: That's what I've done on yesterday evening:
1346.png
1343.png
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Lordasamath: Re: Road tiles: I have 'done' all urban road tiles, bar the end ones, simply because I forgot..I shall work on them shortly. I have not done railway crossings, or roads without pavements along side also, and Soeb sort of covered. The rails are not done though. I have 8 test bits, but that is all. The version I use to test tiles is here.

The roads look ok shrunk down to normal zoom, but I think elements need to be made more definite.

<edit (many hours later! 8am)> Ok, I've done all the road tiles with grass, and made the road tiles with pavement for the stumpy bits. (Still excluding all railway crossings, bridges etc).

I also forgot to comment on your image GeekToo, sorry. I really like the texture you have used for the exposed earth, its avoided the loss of fine detail that is common at this zoom level. It is sharp and the texture of the material shows up well. That should turn out looking great...
Attachments
026 - Road without Pavements and Dead end bits.PNG
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 285 times
Road.tar
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 1738 times
Ben
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

So here are town road bits:
cityroadbits.tar
(20 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
If temperate road tiles are done, now I'll try to code them.

EDIT: Ben_Robbins_: Can you post the source code of that version? I'm using linux so I need to compile it.

EDIT2: Temperate roads:
temperateroads.tar
(80 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
EDIT3:Forgot to commennt that iron ore. It looks cool. But I think there's something worng with that:
Attachments
something_wrong.png
something_wrong.png (139.82 KiB) Viewed 6320 times
chromaphase
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chromaphase »

Hi,

I work on the Maglev Railway, :] :twisted:

Someone can give to me the .tar with all the PNG of maglev railway, for different test of my model !

more information http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34972

so... i have test the roads of Ben, rocks !!!! 8)
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (132.04 KiB) Viewed 6281 times
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Soeb wrote:So here are town road bits:
The attachment cityroadbits.tar is no longer available
If temperate road tiles are done, now I'll try to code them.
EDIT2: Temperate roads:
The attachment temperateroads.tar is no longer available
The road tiles are still not aligning right with these files, I find that it displays whatever was last on that part of the screen... for instance I was in Photoshop with the red swatch open, flicked back to OTTD and it showed red all between the road tiles.
Attachments
Where the road dips you can just see it displaying some of the foundation sprite to the left.
Where the road dips you can just see it displaying some of the foundation sprite to the left.
roadglitch.jpg (414.07 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Yeah, I know about that. That's a little problem, I think. I'll try to do something, but i don't promise I will do it.
@chromaphase: It looks very nice. I just can't wait to see it in game.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb wrote:Yeah, I know about that. That's a little problem, I think. I'll try to do something, but i don't promise I will do it.
@chromaphase: It looks very nice. I just can't wait to see it in game.
i know what your problem is..It happens when you resize. I avoided them with one trick, which is too long to describe. I'll probabley get it done quicker :D

BUT! I have some very weird error! The beta can load some very ancient things, I have done, although I have deleted the files....long ago. Better more - I reinstalled beta to get it normal, but it still CONTINUED. That means that it loads old 32bpp city roads right now and I can't test them. I thnik that Vista has screwed up somewhere... Restart didn't help. I'll tell you when the source is found:)
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

So, I think that's the problem. If you will find some time, describe that trick. I think it will help with a lot of things, and you wouldn't have to done those things by yourself :D .
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb wrote:So, I think that's the problem. If you will find some time, describe that trick. I think it will help with a lot of things, and you wouldn't have to done those things by yourself :D .
Ah..njeh..well..

You make the things with gimp? Good.

First open a sprite, you want to resize.. I chose 1313_z0 right now. Nothing unusual ;)
Now the width *has* to be 64px. So I'll make it 64px :) The height doesn't matter, it produces height itself (Image>Scale Image width:64 Interpolation:cubic(best) Ok)They height I got was 33. One default sprite is 64*31, but as I said, the height doesn't matter.

NOw if you zoom in. you see that the edges are semi-alpha. Just duplicate the layer three times. (This was the part I said long to be expained, and I doubt that you used this :) )
And save it as 1313.png. Then pngcodec it. If you have done all sprites to width 64 (the diagonal-aligned too), you should have the x_offs=-31 and y_offs=0 to all flat sprites and for diagonal sprites y_offs something which you finetune in preview. As you can see from MY screenshots, You will not get funny edges at the sprites' edges.

EDIT: I made an "update" to the tropical flats, in some other time. And for bigger detail, I downloaded the 32bpp-branch (thanks Ben) and coded it into it. Be amazed! Although the texture for front wall needs some touching (It's waay too grainy) and need to add textures to othe places too...And the pavement is too small compared in instace--city road tiles. But the structure is practically ready.
Attachments
branch.png
branch.png (505.67 KiB) Viewed 889 times
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

lordazamath wrote:
BUT! I have some very weird error! The beta can load some very ancient things, I have done, although I have deleted the files....long ago. Better more - I reinstalled beta to get it normal, but it still CONTINUED. That means that it loads old 32bpp city roads right now and I can't test them. I thnik that Vista has screwed up somewhere... Restart didn't help. I'll tell you when the source is found:)
Maybe you have untarred the png's in the data/sprites/trg1r directory. The sprites in that directory take precedence over the sprites from the tar file. Which is handy when testing changes to the png but not when testing a coded tar.

About the method of duplicating the layer 3 times: drawback is that you'll lose the anti-aliasing(which causes the semitransparent pixels), and the effect that the grass grows 'over' the white square cursor. What I did for my grass tiles: make the sprites slightly larger, and adjust the pngcodec accordingly, so the opaque pixels fill the 64x32 tile, and the transparent pixel do the anti-aliasing / depth effect.

To fine tune the pngcodecing: first roughly codec the png ( app x/2 - 1, y-31). Create a scenario or savegame with your sprite to test in it. Then use the explode tool to remove all adjacent tiles.
Move a little with the white cursor over your sprite and it's neighbour tiles. If white edges remain,
pngcodec is not correct, or if you cant get it right, the sprite is too small.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

GeekToo wrote:
lordazamath wrote:
Maybe you have untarred the png's in the data/sprites/trg1r directory. The sprites in that directory take precedence over the sprites from the tar file. Which is handy when testing changes to the png but not when testing a coded tar.

About the method of duplicating the layer 3 times: drawback is that you'll lose the anti-aliasing(which causes the semitransparent pixels), and the effect that the grass grows 'over' the white square cursor. What I did for my grass tiles: make the sprites slightly larger, and adjust the pngcodec accordingly, so the opaque pixels fill the 64x32 tile, and the transparent pixel do the anti-aliasing / depth effect.

To fine tune the pngcodecing: first roughly codec the png ( app x/2 - 1, y-31). Create a scenario or savegame with your sprite to test in it. Then use the explode tool to remove all adjacent tiles.
Move a little with the white cursor over your sprite and it's neighbour tiles. If white edges remain,
pngcodec is not correct, or if you cant get it right, the sprite is too small.
If I reinstall beta and add only those trg*r.grf's and sample.cat, there ain't NO such folders as sprites even. It was just a clean install and opened in 32bpp-blitter. I don't know anymore. And I used the vista's search to find atleast the scenario file, it could load. (One of myself made heightmap :D), it didn't find. So I really think that Vista screwed up. The lucky thing is that I managed to get network going on Mandriva Linux again (it just started working out of a sudden :D) so I will test there.
But comments on my work are always useful too :D

Your grass tile's width is still 64, as it should be...Then it's not larger. And you have another typo too :D x -> -31; y -> 2-1, not opposite :D
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Soeb: I haven’t got the source code, but according to Egladil you can download it via svn here : “svn co svn://svn.openttd.org/branches/32bpp@10201” Hope that’s what you mean.

Lordazamath: That looks great!. Really nice to see some full zoom graphics actually in game. I’ve attached a blank pavement area, and I’ve been using this for editing renders such as road bits. I Photoshop the sprites post render so that they blend into this sprite, and therefore they tile correctly.

Today I worked on a tree anyway. I've given it a few goes in the past in max, but trees are a modellers worst nightmare. So I started again and made them straight from MSpaint>Photoshop. I've attached a gif of the 7 stages of the tree's life, and the .tar is attached also.
Attachments
Blank.png
Blank.png (34.88 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
Tree1.gif
Tree1.gif (251.01 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Trees.tar
(810.5 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Ben
BlazE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlazE »

Wow the tree looks good. Maybe in the last stages the leaves should become brown.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Ben, that is a very nice tree indeed. A while ago, I found a nice plugin for Blender for tree generation: http://www.geocities.com/bgen3/ I've tried it for a while, and it did look very promising, but I've not had much time to use it very much, cause the grass, bus and iron ore mine use enough of my free time. But it may be a hint for other Blenderists.

I do have a question: how is the 32bpp graphics going further? Meaning, some people use the branch for the 256 px testing but it is not developed any more(and still buggy in the state it is now). And in the main branch, I do not know whether the extra zoom level will be implemented soon, now Truelight has retired as developer.
So should effort be made to expand the downloadable list I've created on the wiki: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/List_ ... 32bpp_tars like LordAzamath and Soeb did ( nice work guys ) and a lot more graphics are already finished enough to play with, only need some rerendering and pngcoding, or should we continue to make more 256px renders, that will not be ready for the game in the near future?
lordazamath wrote: Your grass tile's width is still 64, as it should be...Then it's not larger. And you have another typo too :D x -> -31; y -> 2-1, not opposite :D
Correct, they are 64 px wide, but that is because I can control the size of the render, the height is slightly higher than the original. But what i meant was:if you only have the png, you can resize them a little larger than 64 px wide, so the non transparent part fills the complete original, and then crop the one or 2 pixels left or right.
The other thing was not a typo, but now I reread it, it was not very clear either. It is supposed to be a formula for calculating the coarse X and Y offset. (x and y are the width and height of the png).
So the x_offset is: (64/2)-1 = 31, and the y_offset=32-31=1 for a 64x32 px png. With this formula the first pngcodec can be created, and then be fine tuned with the explostion tool (Hope it is clear now, I really should learn to express myself clearer :)
BigBB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BigBB »

Nice job guys.

As a suggestion: I like animation like the grass and trees swinging in the wind. Or/and in the 5th and 6th tier of your tree the leaves falling down (and in the last 3 tiers (5,6,7) a few leaves lies on the ground).

Regards,
BigBB
OpenTTD-patch(es) in development: missing shores (new version of: completely shore), road lamps for each position

Return to “Graphics Development”