TTDX Coding: Programming Masterpiece?

Old messages from the Transport Tycoon forum at owenrudge.net.
pcatala
Engineer
Engineer

TTDX Coding: Programming Masterpiece?

Post by pcatala »

Although I have no professional programming experience, I know enough to realize TTDX is outstanding. Some of its algorithms, like the train router (i.e. the routine which decides which way should the train follow to reach its destitation, whatever complex your layout is) or the city growing (city population up&downs, following transport traffic and economy, and making the game different every time) are very powerful. And It is even more surprising when you think they work in real time!

So I am very interested in knowing more about TTDX from the technical point fo view. Is there an easy way to open the game code? In which programming language is written? Some people like Josef Drexler look to have some way to do it to access things like station rating formulae and so.... how they do it? Any suggestion?
Pep

You think you are good... play the TTDX Challenge!
http://www.geocities.com/pep_catala
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

TTD is written in, wait for it, assembly language! (So is RollerCoaster Tycoon, for that matter). The coding is generally very good, although there are of course bugs, some of which TTDPatch has squashed. (The patches included in TTDPatch are written in assembly too). I don't know exactly how Josef finds out the location of all these functions in TTD - a hex editor, debugger and a lot of time is probably what he uses!

Return to “Owen's TT Station Forum (Archived Posts)”