Creating Flyovers

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Tobus
Engineer
Engineer

Creating Flyovers

Post by Tobus »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create flyovers into my trainnetwork. My thought is basically:"make 4 flyovers somewhere short of the corners of the map, then you can make some kind of 'maintrack' which all trains can use".

The problem is, that the trains seem to want to explore the entire flyover, even the ones who have to go in a straight line. They find their way after travelling the entire flyover, but offcourse takes too much time for every train. Other than the exploration of the trains, it does work exellently!

closeup
entire flyover
mapview

Any ideashow to solve?[/img]
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Use waypoints ? (By selecting the station you also can select parts of the track to add a waypoint :))
d00mh4mm3r
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by d00mh4mm3r »

yes you will need to put waypoints at the turns of your track.. ie... (Bottom left to top right) 1st put waypoint at station on bottom left, then put waypoint at the bend befor its final destination, then you put a waypoint at the final station.. the reason why it does the whole track is because it wants to take the quickest way to its destination, even if it means going in a compleate 360 at a dead end
--==Out Of Order==--
Tobus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tobus »

I will try to use waypoints. But I don't think I have to use waypoints in the corners: just 2 (one for each heading, to-and-fro) on each of the 4 exit-entry-points of the flyover should do, right? I'll investigate and post the results.

thanks!
Flying Tiger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Flying Tiger »

the other thing you can do is making the Fyover crossing a bit different.

Because now trains are able to use all the flyovers, and end up in the same place were they started. Change it this way: that trains can use a flyover for... say going left. And do'n leave them the choice again to go straigt on or to go on the flyover leading back.

This would make the crossing a bit more complex, but if you are having many trains on it, it will work smoother too!
-House Of Tomorrow-
"We'll upgrade your system, so you can upgrade your life"
Tobus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tobus »

I have tried everything with waypoints. It works much better, but trains now tend to go the wrong way when their assigned track is already in use. I'll now try to adjust the flyover itself, that last tip seems like a good idea. I'll post improvements.
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

After a junction allways place oneway signals.
Close behind that signals you place the waypoints
After that waypoint place an other signal, so that the next train can reach that waypoint too.
I found that the waypoints were more reliable when the tracks bows away 90 degrees or more.
Attachments
waypoint.png
waypoint.png (469.76 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
Tobus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tobus »

Well, back after a while.

I have left the crossovers as they are, since changing them tends to work against my idea of running trains on same tracks. Placing 4-5 of these babies on a map, letting all trains use them in all directions, really is a sight to behold. I now use waypoints at every choice a train can make on an intersection, which works great but is a bit of a pain to set on long routes.
d00mh4mm3r
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by d00mh4mm3r »

well just think, you only need to do it once per route.

if you want other trains to do the same route as another train, have the first train waypoint screen displayed.
then get your new train waypoint display.
then move the mouse over to the first train, use your scroll button, and scroll to the bottom of that trains orders.
then left click on "--End Of Orders--"

and by magic, all the same waypoints will be on your 2nd train as well :wink:

P.S., if you dont have mouse scroll, you can click on the 1st train and scroll down that way, but then you need to click on the 2nd train, click on waypoints, then left click on "--End Of Orders--"

(Both way's will have, or rather... should have the same effect. :lol:
--==Out Of Order==--
Tobus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tobus »

Yes, that's true. It's only a b!tch on the first train of the set that are to run the similar route. Oh well, it works. What's truly neat is to see all trains go their own way on one enormous track-layout. When I buy a train, I can plonk it anywhere and it will find its place eventually. Really great stuff!
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

Tobus wrote:When I buy a train, I can plonk it anywhere and it will find its place eventually. Really great stuff!
This isn't true!!
You have to put a train on the exact place as the first line in the orders.
If you don't, then it can happen that a train never finds the next waypoint.
This is often the reason if you find a lost train somewhere.
You can fix this by clicking several times on the double green arrow in the orders menu.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”