Design Document - Writer candidates

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Design Document - Writer candidates

Post by Zuu »

As PJayTycy wrote in another thread, it might be good to discuss something about who is going to write the DD.

I suggest that we nominate canditates, with a short descreption why, and you are allowed to nominate yourself if you think you are a good candidate.

So then I start with nominating:

Jfs
Reason: He seam to have a good idea of how generalized the DD should be written.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

This isn't coming along ...

I don't know who I could nominate, because I don't know who has the time to write the document. I think anybody in the coders-section of our wiki can write it, and probably some others too. I don't know who would do best, because I only know you from the meetings, and I don't know who has the time.

But, we agreed on 2 people doing this, and I would suggest that atleast 1 of them has experience with SDL, because this might have an influence on the document (although it shouldn't).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Why SDL? But yes it might be good if one of the two can something about video game programing.

So maybe then we should ask everyone to write a line why they should / should not be a DD writer.

I'll begin:

I should not be a DD writer becuse:
I don't have verry mutch time, as I am on my last termin at school. I also think that there are people that are better on writing than me.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

What's wrong with centralising our efforts in writing the DD on the wiki, such that everyone can have a hand in writing it? This would make the most sense to me.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I thought we decided that 2 or 3 people would write the DD basis and then post it at the Wiki for scrutiny by the rest. BTW, ever tried to write a guide with 16 people, SGrunt?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The idea of the DD that I have, is that very few people (preferably just two) work on writing one coherent description of the game.
It's important it's not done by just a single person, because when you're alone, there's a larger risk you'll get stuck on some stupid details, and you will lack a critical view on the work. It's important that everyone working on writing the DD are present all the time when work is being done on it, I think, or at least the writers make sure everyone else working on it reviews every part being written. This is easier to manage with two persons, than with three or more persons.

I think the DD group should have at least one native English speaker, one programmer and someone who is good at keeping track of how several elements might interact with each other (logical sense?). The two latter things is to make sure everything is kept within what's realistic to implement in the game. Finally, everyone working on it must be able to work at least 10-20 hours a week on it, I think, and at the same time.

If he has the time required, I think Chris would be a good candidate. To me, he seems to have all three of the first mentioned qualities.

As for myself: I do think I have the programming and logical sense qualities, and I do have lots of (too much...) free time, but I doubt my own ability to work devote myself enough to work on it.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

SGrunt wrote:What's wrong with centralising our efforts in writing the DD on the wiki, such that everyone can have a hand in writing it? This would make the most sense to me.
Then we will get just a second FRD, with inconesequenses.

jfs: I agree with your last post.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Perhaps everyone who are interested in writing the DD, can write a short post that they want so, and maybe a short note why they should be elected.

So that we can get forward with this discussion. :D
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

As I wrote in the news section, the DD writers should have to be chosen before this wednesday. Let's make a quick decision for once. I haven't seen some people around on the forums lately btw, did we loose anyone perhaps?
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

What time frame you plan for the DD?
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I guess 2 people writing it in their spare time but with dedication might need 1 month? But correct me if I'm wrong.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

So can people who are interested, please take a step forward, and say that so we know who we can elect for the task.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

I'm intrested. But I'm rather short on time :/
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm not interested because I have no clue how to write it. But in the mean time it turned Wednesday and we still got no candidates. I'm really afraid that this way of how things go is gonna kill the project. Nevertheless...

Can anyone who is interested in writing the DD please step forward. Don't start about being short on time, all I want to see is who is interested in the first place.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I am interested. I can write proper english, I have been to most of the meetings, I'm active here and I want the project to do as well as it can.

I'll help as much as i can, but i do have some other things to work on (one for TEmpire as well).

EDIT by Owen: You mean "proper English", surely, and "much as I can, but I do"? Sorry ;)
EDIT by Hellfire: LOL
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Well, that's 1 rely. Anyone we can 'marry' Steve too?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I am willing to, but only if noone else wants to, as I'm quite busy with various other projects as well as university for the time being.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

How about you Hellfire, uzurpator, jpl? Just show us your position, two people out of 16 replying isn't good feedback imo.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Hyronymus wrote:How about you Hellfire, uzurpator, jpl? Just show us your position, two people out of 16 replying isn't good feedback imo.

uzurpator and jpl replied they were candidates, without that much time.

I guess I'm in the same position. I leave tomorrow for 10 days on holiday. After that, I'll have some time to work on it.
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

i haven't been able to attend to any meetings, so i probably shouldn't be writing :) and of course i also don't have much time

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”