[RFD] Constructing roads

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Dave

Post by Dave »

I can only agree.

2x2 it is then!

Now we've got that sorted, can we move onto selection of construction?

Or does that come under GUI?

And also, cost differences between "Dirt", "Normal Road" and "Dual Carriageway"

EDIT: Incidentally - I do wonder about how many styles of road there will be.

The one problem I always found with TTD was that there was just city and country, which meant if you'd edited the sprites to look more countrylike, things looked weird in the Suburbs of cities.

Has anyone got any ideas on this?

I think "Urban", "Suburban" and "Country" should do the trick.

And also - Pedestrianised roads... Just for a bit of realism.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

one thing; the M11 is 2 lanes, the A11 is 2 lanes wide, but when it joins the A14 its 3 lanes wide until they diverge ~10 miles later. so we could have motorways 2 and 3 lanes wide but they have 70mph limits, and dual carridgeways are 2 lanes but only 60mph, DAVE dont rant at me for that, its just otherwise how do you tell the difference. also only motorways have hard shoulders, which means if a lorry/bus breaks down, it would pull over leaving the motorway clear, but on a dual carridgeway it would block the left lane. this also sparks a very good question, CARS and VANS!
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

M4rek wrote:can we have traffic actually going round? that would be cool...
and i got scolded for going off topic...

and here we are, on topic.

i vote that we have traffic going round and therefore need more lanes.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I vote for 2x2, if you want more you should just put 2 motorways next to each other.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dave

Post by Dave »

m3henry wrote:one thing; the M11 is 2 lanes, the A11 is 2 lanes wide, but when it joins the A14 its 3 lanes wide until they diverge ~10 miles later. so we could have motorways 2 and 3 lanes wide but they have 70mph limits, and dual carridgeways are 2 lanes but only 60mph, DAVE dont rant at me for that, its just otherwise how do you tell the difference. also only motorways have hard shoulders, which means if a lorry/bus breaks down, it would pull over leaving the motorway clear, but on a dual carridgeway it would block the left lane. this also sparks a very good question, CARS and VANS!
Henry - be quiet.

I wasn't trying to advocate EVERY difference and I did point out "GENERALLY!".

Grr!

Speed limits tho, are a valid idea. Anyone?

Flickr

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Speed limits are fine with me if they are the same for all roads, that is regardless of their owner.
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

I thinked in 1(lenght)x2(wide) size for motorways, which is more flexible and with the same usability than 2x2 but it looks too complicated to build curves with it. If someone has got an idea for building curves with 1x2 then post it so we can have an own motorway building method :).

And what will we do with the end of the motorways? If we let them end in the air that will look too dangerous. Maybe an finishing on-ramp will fix it.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

UnderBuilder wrote:And what will we do with the end of the motorways? If we let them end in the air that will look too dangerous. Maybe an finishing on-ramp will fix it.
That's assuming an American style motorway which is elevated. British (and Aussie) motorways are usually on the ground (except for flyovers). Hence they can end at a regular junction.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

speed limits, same for all roads but can be changed by the owner at the owners own risk
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Dave

Post by Dave »

M4rek wrote:speed limits, same for all roads but can be changed by the owner at the owners own risk
No - Roads should be limited universally.

Flickr

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

M4rek wrote:speed limits, same for all roads but can be changed by the owner at the owners own risk
If we allow this, then we will have to allow the speed of rail to be changed. Micromanagement!
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

Dave Worley wrote:
No - Roads should be limited universally.
As a german I do not agree for motorways!

I would say:

Dirt roads: 60km/h (37,5mph)
Concrete/Asphalt roads: 90km/h (55mph)
Dual Carriageways: 110km/h (70mph)
Motorways: no limit (or minimum 160km/h (100mph)

If this is possible: Roads in towns: 50km/h (30mph)
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

aarona wrote:
If we allow this, then we will have to allow the speed of rail to be changed. Micromanagement!
I wouldnt say that the speed is micromanagment...

Or is it micromanagment if you buy a faster train????

I would like the possibility to create own speed limits on rails and roads with a fixed maximum speed for the individual types.

I miss such a possibility at TT and Loco!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

TomausRP wrote:I would like the possibility to create own speed limits on rails and roads with a fixed maximum speed for the individual types.
Speed limits are suppose to keep vehicles traveling at a save speed so they can't get off the road or get involved in other accidents. So setting different speed limits for different train/road vehicle types won't help IMO. Ofcourse are tilting passenger trains capable of a higher speed than your average freight train, but you can set the maximum speed to the maximum speed of the fastest train to avoid this.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dave

Post by Dave »

Only Germany has sections of Autobahn with no speedlimit.

I think there's a wider base than German users.

Speedlimits for motorways should be included.

I also think that rail speed limits SHOULD apply, alas this is for a different topic. I'll bring it up at the meeting.

Flickr

TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

Dave Worley wrote:Only Germany has sections of Autobahn with no speedlimit.

I also think that rail speed limits SHOULD apply, alas this is for a different topic. I'll bring it up at the meeting.
And India and North Korea 8)

The Rest of the World has speed limits between 90km/h (Norway) and 160km/h (Dubai).

It's not so easy if you will have fixed limits which can't be managed by players...

And today's motorways are a german invention... :D
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

XeryusTC wrote:
TomausRP wrote:I would like the possibility to create own speed limits on rails and roads with a fixed maximum speed for the individual types.
Speed limits are suppose to keep vehicles traveling at a save speed so they can't get off the road or get involved in other accidents. So setting different speed limits for different train/road vehicle types won't help IMO. Ofcourse are tilting passenger trains capable of a higher speed than your average freight train, but you can set the maximum speed to the maximum speed of the fastest train to avoid this.
If i can set the speed limit for all trains to maybe 80km/h on a line, this line will have more capacity against a line where train 1 travels with 200km/h, train 2 with 140km/h and train 3 with 80km/h....

And to manage the capacity of a line is not micromanagment!
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

Where I live the speed limits are:

- Dirt roads: 20-30km/h (12.5/19mph) (here the dirt roads are almost all in terrible conditions)
- Concrete/asphalt roads and dirt roads in good conditions: 40km/h (25mph)
- Dual carriageways: 60kmh (37.5mph) or 80 km/h (50mph)
- Motorways: 100km/h (62.5kmh), 110km/h (69km/h) or 130 km/h (81mph)

Some of these speed limits are ridiculous (mainly the concrete/asphalt roads) but the dual carriageways and motorways ones looks fine. And the speed limits that TomausRP proposed looks too high. Well, I go for the mines.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

TomausRP wrote:And to manage the capacity of a line is not micromanagment!
Uh, you would think that...your German!

Oh by the way, this is the second time in this thread that you have double posted. This is against the forum rules. Please refrain from double posting in the future. Your opinions are not worth double of everyone else.
TomausRP wrote:If i can set the speed limit for all trains to maybe 80km/h on a line, this line will have more capacity against a line where train 1 travels with 200km/h, train 2 with 140km/h and train 3 with 80km/h....
Are you sure?? I don't agree with this at all.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Dave Worley wrote:Only Germany has sections of Autobahn with no speedlimit.

I am from Spain, and we have a speed limit of 120 KPH, but I think that is better in this game not have speed limit in motorways because this is a reason to buy faster vehicles or build it.
For dual carriageways 110kph is a good option.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “Transport Empire Development”