[RFD] Multi-Layer Rectangle based grid

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

uzurpator wrote:PJayTycy.

Come to think of it - you are right. Storing tracks as seperate entity will save on memory. Also - with 4 byta positioning it is possible to use very fine track grid. Almost freeform grid...
However, we don't want to much freedome (exept steve). Or am I wrong?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Why don't you want freedom?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Steve wrote:Why don't you want freedom?
Becuse I want to have a clear view of the problem, when I am designing a junction. I want to know if someting is possible without being needed to try it first.

Also I think it has to do a bit with the philosophy of wesnoth. Which is simple rules that are easy to learn, but hard to master.

Eaven thoght TTDs tracklaying is limited it allows _many_ diffrent variantes and stratgies for junction construction. While Civ-style games have complex rules, which makes them hard to learn and eavn harder to master.

Edit: fixed link. (to lazy ff user)
Last edited by Zuu on 28 Feb 2005 17:06, edited 2 times in total.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

They aren't complex rules though, they just offer more freedom. I think the main problem in TTD is that it is so tile based, people just build the same junctions over and over.. sure there is more than one combination, but we've used those combinations for many many years. It's time to move on, we'll have a new 3D engine so we should take advantage of it.
Plus it's easier to make a system simplier, rather than make a simple system more complex, so if for whatever reason the more complex thing didn't work...

I think that wenoth thing (link didn't work, used google) highlights the old style of gaming and the restrictions they posess. Isn't it better to move gaming forward and create new restrictions, rather than hiding behind the old ones?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Offcorce if you allways make symetric 3 and 4 way juctions you will end up making simular junctions all the time, but if you try to design your network so that irregularity is dominating, you won't have much boring standard junctions.

You say more freedome. Freedome for who? Junction illiterates or for people that like to make junctions? What is you deffiniton of freedome?

Steve wrote:I think that wenoth thing (link didn't work, used google) highlights the old style of gaming and the restrictions they posess. Isn't it better to move gaming forward and create new restrictions, rather than hiding behind the old ones?
Why not look back and se what they did right at the old good days, when it was fun to play a commersial game. (But lets leve this OT talk. PM me if you wana continue.)

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”