64K of vehicles. Is it enough?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Roo
Engineer
Engineer

64K of vehicles. Is it enough?

Post by Roo »

First of all, thanks for this inceased number. But almost all limits (stations, industries...) were increased 256x so 64K of vehicles looks like a quite little value compared to the other limits. I think it will be no problem to reach 64K of vehicles at 2048x2048 map. 512K looks much better.

Is it possible to demolish lighthouses, transmitters and industries? (using some cheat or console command?)
Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jakal »

64k vehicles... lol, tbh i think its more than enough. I mean if you count 1 click for buying the vehicle, if you count 7 clicks for 7 waggons average each train, and if you take 3 orders with 1 load and 1 unload order average, which makes it 5 clicks. Its 11 clicks, and lets make it 15 for clicking the depot and stuff.

64k*15 clicks is nearly a million clicks that you have to do to build 64k trains. And who on earth would do that neways, its a pain in the ass to manage, can you imagine the train list with 64k trains on it? lol, jebus

Neways, i dont really agree, if its no problem at all, raise it to whatever, because then noone will complain. But id say let the developers invest time in something more important, dont you think :wink:
[Jakal]
tecxx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tecxx »

i also believe that this will be enough. 64.000 vehicles.... i've never had more than 200 in total :=)
Mucht
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mucht »

We (from #openttdcoop) build massive companies in a specific coop-style. Our first game (on the usual 256*256 map) had over 200 trains and on a large-scale map like 1024*1024 we need A LOT of trains. But anyway, 64k will be enough.
Jeffrey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeffrey »

64k ??

what does the "k" mean ?
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Jakal wrote:64k vehicles... lol, tbh i think its more than enough. I mean if you count 1 click for buying the vehicle, if you count 7 clicks for 7 waggons average each train, and if you take 3 orders with 1 load and 1 unload order average, which makes it 5 clicks. Its 11 clicks, and lets make it 15 for clicking the depot and stuff.

64k*15 clicks is nearly a million clicks that you have to do to build 64k trains. And who on earth would do that neways, its a pain in the ass to manage, can you imagine the train list with 64k trains on it? lol, jebus

Neways, i dont really agree, if its no problem at all, raise it to whatever, because then noone will complain. But id say let the developers invest time in something more important, dont you think :wink:
you're confusing vehicles and trains

every wagon is a vehicle.
you can have 64k vehicles in total, that includes all locomotives, wagons, trucks, ships and planes for all players, and some are reserved for disasters.
you can have up to 5000 trains.

this means that if you make every train with 100 wagons (theoretically) you could only build less than 640 trains on one map.
with 8 players that is only 80 trains per person, without any planes/trucks/ships.

jeffery: in this case, the k means 1024 (or just 1000 for easier calculation)
fire87
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by fire87 »

[OT]Ahh.. So that means that when we celebrated the millenium and wrote 2k and so on, we really wrote 2048? :lol:
That would then mean that those guys celebrated year 2048 long before 2001.. Weird :P[/OT]
Currently working on:

Norwegian (NSB) Trainset
Topic | Website
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

There are 64*1024=65,536 possible vehicles now, so 64K is correct. "Kilo" doesn't have to mean "1,000", especially when talking about computers. ;)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: 64K of vehicles. Is it enough?

Post by TrueBrain »

Roo wrote:First of all, thanks for this inceased number. But almost all limits (stations, industries...) were increased 256x so 64K of vehicles looks like a quite little value compared to the other limits. I think it will be no problem to reach 64K of vehicles at 2048x2048 map. 512K looks much better.

Is it possible to demolish lighthouses, transmitters and industries? (using some cheat or console command?)
First, don't ask 2 questions in 1 post, most likely you won't get an answer on the second one.

But about your little mindspin, show me a map which has 64k vehicles efficient in use, then we will talk again.. there is no point is trying to increase a size of something, where nobody has even reached the limit yet :p
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

Bill G. once said that 640K will be enough for everyone. IIRC
Zooz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Zooz »

Don't forget the breakdown smoke - every 'piece' of the smoke plume is a vehicle. If your map is full of steamers it's even worse. Steam counts as vehicles too :p
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

orudge wrote:There are 64*1024=65,536 possible vehicles now, so 64K is correct. "Kilo" doesn't have to mean "1,000", especially when talking about computers. ;)
Actually, it's wrong, because some people decided k should mean kilo, not 1024. So technically it's Ki (Kibi, for Kilo-binary)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It's correct in the traditional sense of the word, which is what I use. "KiB" may well be correct in the much more recent sense of the word, but I still think "kibibyte" sounds a bit silly. ;)
SergeS
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SergeS »

Can be made also in Difficulty settings amount of Cities and Town Lowest ? ( because i dnot like when there are much industries and cities on map )

Edit:
And there is too much news about changes in Industries
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

Nanaki13 wrote:Bill G. once said that 640K will be enough for everyone. IIRC
You don't recall correctly.

The 640K limit was imposed by the hardware in the IBM PCs of the time (you could only address 640K of memory, memory above that was reserved for memory mapped I/O and whatnot, IIRC).
PeteB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PeteB »

The limiting factor here may be the size of the Savegames. After 3 days work and so far only 41 trains mine has grown from 3.5megs to 7.8 megs :shock: We could be looking at savegames of hundreds of megs by the time the 64k limit is reached.

Pete
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

I know it was a hardware limit, i lived through the times of conventional memory :P
But Bill did say such a thing.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Nanaki13 wrote:I know it was a hardware limit, i lived through the times of conventional memory :P
But Bill did say such a thing.["640K of memory..."]
He denies it.

(google://"of memory should" "Bill Gates"/)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

A quote is a quote, everybody says he said it, so who cares what he says :)
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

Nanaki13 wrote:A quote is a quote
Then the following must be true too...
Nanaki13 wrote:No one should ever need bridges over diagonal track in OpenTTD.
:wink:

The whole idea of a quote is that someone actually said it. If they didn't then it isn't a quote (by definition).

Yes I do know I'm being an ass but that "quote" really bugs me.

Return to “General OpenTTD”