[FRDF] Load/unload orders

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

the idea of "give x wagons same order" is that it brings up the list of all wagons attached to the train and gives each one a checkbox. those checked recieve the order entered.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Code: Select all

Load 50% Coal
Load 50% Iron
Hrm...This is a problem if you have an odd number of wagons (Or mixed wagons...i.e. three 16 tonne wagons and four 25 tonne wagons.)

To merge XeryusTC's idea and M4rek's idea one could...
Have full train orders in one tab, and wagon orders in another tab under the vehicle orders main window.

All simple orders can be handled by "full train orders" and more complicated orders can be made using the "wagon orders".
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

that sounds ok
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I don't see the use of wagon orders TBH.
I mean, like saying Load 50% of Coal you mean either half the complete train, or half the total coal-wagons is gonna be loaded with Coal. Who cares which wagons exactly those are?

EDIT:
Hrm...This is a problem if you have an odd number of wagons (Or mixed wagons...i.e. three 16 tonne wagons and four 25 tonne wagons.)
Round it. Who cares about that 1 tonne.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

You can't mix iron and coal in the same wagon and now the statement "Load 50% of Coal" is too open to interpretation and may not be reproduceable. (Thus the onus is placed on the player to satisfy the conditions for reproducability.)

On another note, I don't see how your objection invalidades the previous suggestion. Just because you might not see the use in wagon orders, doesn't mean that other people won't find them useful and having another tab (which you dont have to use if you dont want) only burdens the programmers to a few more lines of code.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

So it's safe to ay percentages are out of the window and specifying amount of wagons is generally accepted for not loading all wagons with 1 cargo type.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

and if you feel the need, you can set exactly how many tonnes/litres/items you want to load for each wagon via a text box. it might be a bit tedious but its unlikely you will need it anyway
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

M4rek wrote:and if you feel the need, you can set exactly how many tonnes/litres/items you want to load for each wagon via a text box. it might be a bit tedious but its unlikely you will need it anyway
That might get too complicated, it would be better if you could just say how much wagons you want to have fully loaded: "Load x wagons with coal".
Remember KISS, the 8 year old next door should be able to play the game.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

was anyone paying attention when i made that point about Alpha Centauri?

*sigh*

ok, ill try again. there are two levels of gameplay, basic and complex. when you first play the game you will start off playing at the basic level. when you become experienced with the game you start experimenting with the advanced options. or not if you dont want to.

anyway, there would be a small button by each wagon that would bring up a textbox into which you could enter exactly how many units of cargo you want IF you feel the need.

this would also contain the available capacity.

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”