New graphics and using OpenGL?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

I fully support your project, MenusH. I'd really love it!

How would teh controls work? Like Startopia? The best control i ever had in a 3D lanscape, was with Startopia's control system.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks! Just need support of OpenGL coder :D

-

The LODs will work as in all quake\ut-engine games: If camera is far from some point (i.e. distance > 100 meters) the model's LOD is changed.
You can also change the default LOD, so you will have small detail level when distance < 100 meters and smaller LOD when distance is > 100 meters :lol:

Now let's say it simply:
I'd bet you've seen player with triangular nose in the game. If you change the polygon detail, the nose will be smooth. You can see the model has 2 LODs

-

As for my idea of OpenGL OTTD, I think about replacing sprite vehicles with models, and to change landscape textures to Alltaken's at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=160
Joker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Joker »

However it means that 2 models will be needed for everything. Wouldn't it make the game too big?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Not exacly. It is one model with 2 LODs :D And model is very small.
The model is currently 2 times smaller than sprites... 4KB

With compression (such a zip) it will be about 70% of current size
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Leaving the whole game how big?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Torrasque
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Torrasque »

@Meuh ...oh 4kb...I think you're not going to make textures for your truck...
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

as a 3d artist i can tell you that.

A) 3d is the way of the future.

B) modelling and texturing 3d models to be used in real time, takes AGES. i.e. AAAAAGGGGEEES he he he

C) its not gonna look at finished as sprites, just because you get obvious devisions between vector work, and raster based images.

a cube with a house texture on it still looks like a cube.

a two polygon tree looks like a cross shape with tree textures on it.
a high poly tree looks like a clay model of a tree.

luckily a lot of vehicles are available with textures from GTA3 and such things.

i support an OpenGL version of the game, i think it would be pretty cool. but i would like to see OpenGL in conjunction with 2d. I.e. fixed 3d isometric view. with rendered sprites. done in such a way as Diablo2 was done.

that would be cool IMO. and it would also be achievable i think.

Alltaken
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

Please no OpenGL it runs extremely slow on my computer, even pontifex (and it's predicessor bridge builder) runs at very poor speeds.(about 1 frame per second)
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
traskjd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by traskjd »

Not the best of replies there Dan.

What spec is your PC? OpenGL actually appeared in around 1992/3 (obviously first incarnation and has evolved) but it has to be asked, how crappy is your PC if you can't run basic OpenGL graphics?

I have no idea about you level of knowledge in computing so don't take offense to these suggestions.

- Ensure you've got the latest drivers
- Ensure that you've actually allowed 3D acceleration for your card
- Make sure you're not running heaps of processor intensive operations before playing with something that uses OpenGL).

The only reason I ask is that I got some pretty good framerates out of bridge builder on my old PC which is not about 5 year old technology. My guess is it's not OpenGL that is your problem.

- JD
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Traskjd wrode good stuff, it can't be OpenGL (Silicon made it in 1993 I think).
try this:
Ctrl+alt+delete - close most stupid applications (except windows-needed), like internet explorer, text editor, image editor

In the attachement you can see the oil tankier, ehich has 216 polygons (too much, I think, but that barrel would look ugly if I'd like to reduce its polygon count)

Also I've got a question: Is the new OTTD going to support tga\png as texture? It would be good if modeller make ladder using one face and transparent texture. Same about fences, wood holders, pantos etc.
Attachments
oil_model.png
oil_model.png (109.63 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Warspite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warspite »

dont you think you are jumping the gun asking about what it would support when there is no one coding it?
---------------------------
Warspite
Aspiring Poet
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Iridium
Warspite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warspite »

from iridiums last post on this topic it would appear that he is doing no such thing
Warspite
Aspiring Poet
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Because some of you were such shameless and told him he's dumb his project sux and OpenGL is worth of s*** because most of users can't use this.

Of course everything above is false, iridium. Your idea is great and they don't know anything! Keep up man, I'm with you!
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

I... don't see it.
Warspite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warspite »

i would imagine 95% of pc owners can use opengl, i mean my graphs card is very old, and it runs opengl just fine and dandy. But from what i was reading on here, no one actually said they "would" program it, just that it would be a good idea, which i certainly agree it is
Warspite
Aspiring Poet
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

I'm trying some demos with opengl, it is not very difficult to have something running... I hope, this week I will finish something to show you...
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

- Ensure you've got the latest drivers
Ok I will try again with open gl if someone can give me a working download link to opengl 1.5(maximum my card can support) I already tried using a search engine. If it works I am all for OpenGL.
- Ensure that you've actually allowed 3D acceleration for your card
yes it is allowed
- Make sure you're not running heaps of processor intensive operations before playing with something that uses OpenGL).
very little runs on my computer at a time
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

I think before we go down this path we need to consider the system demands of this project, remembering the large amount of land area needed to be displayed at the furthest zoom out. I am not suggesting it is impossible, I just recognise that this community is inherantly made up of people with varying computer specs (because the game will run on just about anything that is till likely to be in use) and we need to consider how many users we may kill by going down this path.
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

I'm making a demo to show how a 2D background with 3D openGL vehicles would do. I've posted it in another forum. If you want to try:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=12050

It is not finished, but I'm still working on it. I hope to have something better soon.

BTW I need some 3D model better than the one shown in the demo. If someone can send me something it would be welcome.

Oboka

Return to “OpenTTD Development”