OpenTTD Networking plus release information

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

OpenTTD Networking plus release information

Post by Darkvater »

As you all know, 0.3.4 featured very poor network support. In fact, it was only playable on a LAN, anything else usually caused a desync. The panicky fixing that occured the week following didn't help too much either. So Truelight set out to rewrite the whole network code. It is nearing completion, so tonight around 18:00 hours we set out to test it with some enthousiastic fans like mikkel, w-ber, ln--, ben-uk, orudge, iridium, pasky, celestar, bjarni and myself.

First Celestar was going to be the server but he was plagued with disconnects, crashes, etc. etc. Then I tried it, and of course it worked :P. Below you will find a list of issues we have found whilest testing and playing the game. The whole test took about 5 hours, during which I only had to restart the server once (issue #3). The first three or so hours were pretty perfect regarding desyncs, disconnects, etc. In the latter 2 hours Pasky tried to hack/crash and mangle the server; which he didn't succeed in doing, but disconnected various players during the process. Luckily all could rejoin their own company and the game continued.

Issues:
  • Game crashes if more players join then the server can handle (8). - Emergency Fix: rev574
  • Slow client timeouts during downloading of map ('Client #18 is dropped because the client did not respond for more then 4 game-days'). Poor orudge was unable to participate because of this. - client should send back alive-ping?
  • Dropdown menus apart from Company are all 1 index off. Eg. player 1 gets player 2's menu as default. - caused by 'clients' menu in Company
  • When joining game as a player, again -p #4 is player 5!. I thought this was fixed?
  • 100% CPU usage at times. Mostly when more people try to connect at the same time.
  • Chat: teamspeak and clientspeak doesn't work. Broadcast should be [All] <name>, Team should be [Allies] <name> and Private should be [PM] <name>, possibly in another colour
  • Some chat-messages get lost (not even shown on screen of sender). According to some it might relate to announcements at the same time?
  • The game should disallow to join a game without a valid name. Very confusing if all you see is #1, #2, etc.
  • Server saving the game resets network somehow and doesn't transmit any data to clients. Abandoning game doesn't disconnect network either. Need to shut down and restart.
  • You can rename another player's checkpoints
  • Renewing vehicle results in (sometimes) only the first order being restored
  • Chat durations should be longer (30 sec)
  • When playing a multiplayer game "invalid id at get string zero" when trying to raise the loan (beneyre04). This never happened yesterday so kinda weird - Darkvater
This were the main issues that I can remember. If there were more, just add them in a reply.
All in all it has been a very fun game, 8 people and 4.5 hours on this map and a huge chaos to be expected :D. We had Windows, Linux, BeOS, MacOS, and all other exotic machines all in one game with very little lag. So good job TrueLight!
Mikkel got the highest score at the end, so congrats to him.

On another note: Once network is finalized we are planning to do a release. If all goes to plan, it should also include much much better newgrf support (dbsetxl for example) thanks to octo and pasky. Also the game will be more newbie-friendly with regards to newgrf, settings, etc. We anticipate this release then to be the last one in this line, the next one will bring with it big improvements (bigger maps, unlimited vehicles, stations, etc.).

(if anyone wants to look at the savegame, I have posted it on the bottom. make sure you are using latest nightly and default openttd.cfg (delete it))

[edit]- updated post[/edit]
Attachments
Darkvater, 25th Sep 1972-end.sav
what do you get with 8 people and an OpenTTD network game? Find out!
(127.12 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Last edited by Darkvater on 14 Nov 2004 14:13, edited 2 times in total.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

I downloaded the savegame and it crashed after a couple of min :lol:
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Storwin »

That sure was fun - and another victory in the bag for megalomania incorporated :)
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

Great work :)
Your map was somewhat messy :wink:
beneyre04
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beneyre04 »

when playing a multiplayer game with celestar, today it said invalid id at get string zero, this happend when i tryed to borrow money hope this helps with the debug

yours faithfully

Ben Eyre
OTT is just the start......
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

this is great news, i can't wait to get some huge network games going at my house!
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yes! Big maps and network game! OTTD RULES!
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

good work folks.

Although letting the devs play the game is pushing it... hehe ;)
j/k
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Have loaded the game, and it's brought to light a question.
In it "megalomania incorporated" owns 75% of all companies (other than its own of course).

However 3 of those companies have had the other 25% brought by other players.
those being:
In--- -> 25% owned by foobar
Foobar -> 25% owned by ice transport
Darkvater -> 25% owned by Ice transport
Ice transport -> 25% owned by w-ber

Now comes the question.
qhat happens if megalomania buys the remaining 25% of w-ber (which is currently unowned)?!?!?!
All assests are transfered to megalomania right? Does that include the 25% of ice-transport that w-ber owns?
Because if that happens, then the holdings of ice-transport will be transfered to megalo too, and seeing as that has holdings in other companies...

A cascade buyout....
But does it actually happen/work? (i.e. has that been coded (i'm assuming it was possible in the original TTD, but i never played a network game (only playeed TTO network once!)).

And then if you think about it if that DOES happen, for the price of 25% of w-ber (which is about 300,000), megalo gets to actually buy 2.5 million worth of shares (that megalo doesn't already own) in the other companies.

Is this supposed to happen? Can someone (preferably with a PhD in economics, and a Masters in Complicated maths :) ) tell me how it's supposed to work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Problem.
I just tested the above (i knew there was a way to change players. its a cheat (never use them. had to look in the wiki).

Anyway, i brought out w-ber.... but nothing happened (other than w-ber became a part of megalo).

When i went to look at ice-transport, it showed that (25% owned by w-ber), even though that company doesn't excist any more!.

So no cascade buyouts.

I'm about to report this to the sf.net bugs section, seeing as theres definatly a problem of some sort here. :)

End Edit.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I actually thought about all this ages ago in the TTD world. All that needs to be done is have a bit of extra code to pick up on such a condition, and the world's your uncle. Not sure the other players would be very happy about it, though. ;)
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

there's another thread about the economics of ottd needing to be changed.. i agree personally, the shares thing looks like an after-thought. the original developers obviously didn't give it that much work
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Well, for the original developers there was no need, because in multiplayer you could only play with max 2 people. And while SP is up to a maximum of 8, the AI companies never bought stocks from any other entrepreneurship.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Excuse me but who was the "genius" who had build this :roll: :

Ps: if Empire ltd TM would have been in that game the map would have run out of space :twisted:
Attachments
This man is insane the oil wells will soon close lol
This man is insane the oil wells will soon close lol
Darkvater, 22nd Jan 1973.png (109.64 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

Darkvater wrote:Well, for the original developers there was no need, because in multiplayer you could only play with max 2 people. And while SP is up to a maximum of 8, the AI companies never bought stocks from any other entrepreneurship.
this is true..
...sionide.net...
ConductorBob
Director
Director

Post by ConductorBob »

Maybe just no stocks in multiplayer? Thats the quicky-fixxy.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

you need to be able to choose not to sell shares IMO. or someone buying shares increases your bank balance.

otherwise multiplayer buyouts is just funny.

Alltaken
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Storwin »

Killer 11 wrote:Excuse me but who was the "genius" who had build this :roll: :

Ps: if Empire ltd TM would have been in that game the map would have run out of space :twisted:
Well, as the name implies, it was iridium :)
I don't know if he actually reads this forum, but he was there when on IRC when we did the test :)

All the companies bear the name of their owner, except Megalomania Inc., which was run by me and foobar 42, which was run by celestar.
The last company was just used for debugging afaik :)
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

that could make games with big comps killing a medium oponent just by buying him out of hes comp... One shouldn't be able to buy more then 75% share in mp.

Who's who in the SG?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

This information is classified :P

Company takeovers should be forbidden in the next release imho. I'll consider what to do with that case when I get to rewrite the economy.

Celestar
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

I think the red player is orudge.

It looks like hes trains in another game i saw from him ages ago... It's the most pro one.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.

Return to “General OpenTTD”