Don't waste any money - don't buy RCT3.

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Kyaputen Harokku
Engineer
Engineer

Don't waste any money - don't buy RCT3.

Post by Kyaputen Harokku »

The graphics fit in the game, but are not what I call "state of the art" - nevertheless this not-that-good-graphic runs on a 3GHz P4 with a GF4Ti4600 more than blocky. Then the game is buggy as hell - logs of a log flume often stop after the lift, on water rides the cars don't get slower in water, water squirts through the plastic of enclosed slides, music is very choppy... I could go in forever this way.
Luckily my pre-order wasn't processed when I borrowed the US version of the game from a friend 'cause I was so impatient... I immediately cancelled the shipping and bought a book on VHDL instead of it. Much better way to spend the money.

I'll stick to RCT 1 and 2 and Locomotion, this is giving me much more fun.

RCT3 is another game i call three-D'ed to death. The 3D graphics take away the flair of RCT and RCT is simply not RCT anymore. It is like GTA - Since GTA3, it is not GTA anymore.
Thanks to the cheaters, Multiplayer in ottd sucks.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

well,. to be honest, I just saw a *.bin on a torrent website, so I thought *DOWNLOAD!!*

and indead, its quite a dissappointing game

with only 300 peeps, and 4 attractions, it runs quite nice on my amd1500+ with geforce3 (everything high) but as soon as I builded 2 more rollercoasters, and a few more peeps came in, it was like unbearable.!

I yet have to find out, how it is gonna run on my (hope sundays) new amd64-3200, and geforce6800 GT, and new best-tested gigabyte K8NS pro motherboard

(I hope to be able to buy them at the *HCC-Dagen* this sunday)

ohwell,..

its simple, game sucks

also, I was playing for, 1 hour. then it crashed to desktop :-| never restarted the game again :lol:

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Kyaputen Harokku
Engineer
Engineer

You shouldn't post about downloading a torrent in a public forum :D but it is okay just for testing, I did the same with Locomotion and bought it a week later. Demos just don't do - the RCT3 demo was great for me because I always said "It's only a demo, they will fix it in the final version".

There is a patch out for the US RCT, at least a Beta patch which improves some things (the water slides don't sound like steel roller coasters anymore, but the conveyor belts still do) but after riding a ride for three times or so, many guests don't go on that ride again. They simply don't find it. Or, they are hungry as hell, complain that they can't find anything to eat while standing beneath a burger shop etc.

RCT3 is just a better version of Themepark World, not much more. A little more realistic for the roller coasters, but that was it.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

I didnt post <where> I got it from...

anyway, I bought real lomo too. and indead, I just download them, *for testing*

the "fact" *that downloading games is bad for the buisness* is total bullsjit

concidering, that I will never buy a game ,untill i tryed it/seen it

ohwell..

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Kyaputen Harokku
Engineer
Engineer

It seems to happen to very many games in the last 5 years. They often try to modernize them and lose track over the process. Many games which were good as they were in their 2-D graphics were converted to 3-D by force which took the whole flair of the games, let's say, the SOUL of them. That happened to 90% of the games which were converted to 3D by force, e.g. Lemmings, Sonic The Hedgehog (yes, the Sonic Adventure series ARE good games, but they are simply NOT Sonic The Hedgehog), GTA, the Monkey Island series, Leisure Suit Larry, just to mention a few. I thought, if Chris Sawyer is in the team, RCT3 will be one of the few actually good 3-D conversions, but unfortunately it is also one of the many 3-D'ed-to-death games. After some more thinking, I rather not hope there will be a Locomotion 2 which uses the crappy RCT3-Engine. Lomo is good as it is, so please leave it this way.
Potatish
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Potatish »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that GTA is MUCH better now that it's 3D. The gameplay was bland and the graphics were stale in the 2D versions.

That's to say that the gameplay was bland after the original GTA. GTA II was just... Unforgiveable.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I will agree with GTA being just as good now it's 3D - if anything, the scope is opened considerably by being able to see from the guy's eyes and not from overhead.

You're right about ruining games with 3D, though. Theme Park World was an ugly travesty that was almost unplayable, Syndicate Wars looked cool but was rubbish to play, Worms is almost impossible to enjoy in 3D.
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Although it sounded very nice: RCT in 3D. The promotion movies were very promising. But the demo was very dissapointing. :(

I agree, don't waste any money on RCT3. If you don't know RCT, go buy RCT2 instead. Much more fun.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

rct3 is the worst of the three.

Its been killed.

GTA has got better though. (especially san andreas!)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

It was a great improvement from GTA2 (2D) to GTA3 (3D). Although Vice City and San Andreas are somewhat the same as GTA3 IMO. Just a differend landscape with new missions and some other thingies. Still fun to play, although I don't have GTA San Andreas
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

somehow, "I told you so", fits here quiet well
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Paranoid Android
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: lo:kay:shun - The site and/or situation of a settlement

Post by Paranoid Android »

Why has it become cool to slag off RCT3? For God's sake, people, how many times have you built a rollercoaster in one of the other two games and thought 'Jesus, I wish I could have a go on that'? Well, now's your chance. The gameplay is more realistic, the graphics are much better (I know you may say 'Graphics aren't everything' but how can you complain about the reflective water, fireworks and organically deformable landscape) and you can ride your own rides. We've finally been given a sandbox mode without having to make one ourselves with the scenario editor.

If people keep clawing at RCT3 I'll hit them with my new guitar and it weighs a bloody tonne. You have been warned.
r is a c***

will frequently check credit at (moral) bank (hole in wall)
RIP THE BETA BAND 1997-2004
Transport Empire's music-er.

So now I've closed my eyes, closing seconds of our time

My music
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Tombe wrote:the graphics are much better (I know you may say 'Graphics aren't everything' but how can you complain about the reflective water, fireworks and organically deformable landscape) .
if they would include a CPU, GPU, memory and a good motherboard with it, for the same price as the game itself, then I would concider it...

and I am talking about CPU/GPU that can easely show all the goodies...

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Tombe wrote:but how can you complain about the reflective water, fireworks and organically deformable landscape

Because its like having a car with a really cool paint job that gets 1 mile to 60 gallons, and a top speed of 1mph
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

I say that Chris Sawyer sold his soul to Frontier.

It's like Worms, From Worms 1 to Worms World Party it was awesome because it was easy to control in 2D.
Then Worms3D came along, it lost it's soul.

The lesson: If it's great in 2D, don't f*** it up and change it to 3D.

This made me wanna play WWP.
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Kyaputen Harokku
Engineer
Engineer

> Why has it become cool to slag off RCT3? For God's sake, people, how
>many times have you built a rollercoaster in one of the other two games and
> thought 'Jesus, I wish I could have a go on that'? Well, now's your chance.

Not being able to ride the rides was bearable. For this, there exists "NoLimits". It is a bit harder to build a good coaster there, but with enough practice you can manage it.

> The gameplay is more realistic

Cars/boats of water rides don't stop in water, after going on a ride 2-3 times, nobody wants to go there again, Roto Drop towers don't fall down, they crawl down slowly, people lift their hands on lifthills, people scream when being in an observation tower going down, ratings of rides go weird between low and very high over the time, just to name a few.

> the graphics are much better (I know you may say 'Graphics aren't everything' but how can you complain about the reflective water, fireworks and organically deformable landscape)

NACK. The graphics fit, but I like the 2D graphics of part 1 and 2 better. Fireworks are really good, yes, but the other graphics...
They would have been good if they were running fluently on a GeForce4 Ti4600 (at least if it sticks on an ASUS P4PE Deluxe with a 3.06GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM), but here I agree ir looks like a car with a good paint shop needing 60 liters per km (I am German, we use metric measuring *g*) and going only 1km/h.

> and you can ride your own rides.

Just build your dream coaster with NoLimits. The other rides aren't worth it - Rotor and Round-Up and stuff run much too fast and things like Haunted Houses can't be ridden - you just stand in front of them.

> We've finally been given a sandbox mode without having to make one ourselves with the scenario editor.

But it was not much of a deal. Simply set the objective to have 100 guests in park and not let park rating drop under 700 and turn off money and there is your sandbox mode.

> If people keep clawing at RCT3 I'll hit them with my new guitar and it weighs a bloody tonne. You have been warned.

I'll wear a helmet *g*

RCT3 is not a bad game, though, but the bad things are much more than the good things. I wait until the price drops to maybe 10-15 Euros, then I will probably buy it. Just to have all parts. I don't spend more than 10 (sometimes 15) Euros on a game which ist not really good.
Paranoid Android
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: lo:kay:shun - The site and/or situation of a settlement

Post by Paranoid Android »

Everyone to their own, I don't want to start an argument. Yes, I've encountered a few glitches with it too (the graphics spaz out whenever you modify the land - does this happen to other people or is it just my PC being a fecker?) but I forget it all as soon as I click the CoasterCam button.
r is a c***

will frequently check credit at (moral) bank (hole in wall)
RIP THE BETA BAND 1997-2004
Transport Empire's music-er.

So now I've closed my eyes, closing seconds of our time

My music
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

the game lost it's strategical-gameplay-type because of coastercam button
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

if you want to ride and build rollercoasters, buy a damn simulator, seesh.

RCT is meant to be a strategical theme park builder, not a kids toy.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I don't own RCT3.

The demo looks promising...
But I could say Locomotion was quite a dissapointment (only played the demo though ;)) So I won't.

I think it has kept it's core (for me atleast) but takes a while to get use to.
Like the jump from ttdpatch to locomotion. ;)

Worms 3D is very good. A lot of fun, but the one controller sucks.
GTA is far better in 3D. No question about it.
RCT 2 wa quite a disapointment, because it seemed like a ttdpatch for RCT 1.

Thats my 2 cents.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."

Return to “Off-Topic”