Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

The new era spaceports

Post by Killer 11 »

what about space ports?

No actual servicing of space stations but in conecting factories with big freigters that would fly just like boeing 747(in speed) and houl eg 300tones of coal(later models can houl more)

Those freighters would be huge 2 tiles in widht and 2 tiles in long(bigest one)

The actual spaceports could also handle smaller craft.

Shuttles,they could go as fast as concorde and houl 50 passengers and ofcourse would have VTOL ability so can be used in many thight places.

I have made a sketch of spaceport with descriptions.
(see atachment)

This idea would be wery efective when we will have bigger maps becouse there will be islands that are separated by large gaps of water so the freighters would be the best way to fastly make a feeder service many faster than ships but containing same amount of cargo.

And shutles would be wery efective in large cities becouse of the VTOL ability and super speeds

if devs say yes i can request graphics for the actual spaceport.

Ofcourse this feature must be implimented only after the map rewrite becouse only then they will be usefull.

PLZ PLZ PLZ devs say yes i'm very obesed with trhis idea.

I like freighters :wink:
Attachments
starport.png
starport.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Emm... Sounds great, i want it... but not untill 2040 or something
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

yes post 2040 would be more realistic than 2010 becouse now all we have is shuttles i think that we will not have freighters at 2010 :wink:
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Why should I use a spacecraft to haul coal from a town A to a nearby town B?

Celestar
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

i mean not nearby think of a 1024x1024 map in one island there is a coalmine that produces 3k tones oc coal ant it is sepparated by quite large sea you don't have the money to raise the sea so you build a spaceport at the coalmine and another one at a powerplant or a station where you want to enroute it the freighter moves way faster than any seahip and caries the same if not bigger amount of coal so you can get a decent feder service and why the hell whe should have only one type of air transport if we can have one less advanced(for passengers mainly) and a very advanced one(for freight)

and why should you build an airport in two towns that are very close to each other then?

and i named them spaceports becouse there will be teorical trips to space (maybe moonbase) but untill the OTTD doesn't support space or something like that these trips will only be theorical.

and building a spaceport could greatly improve you rating at the town becouse of modern transports availible to town and for saupporting space programe.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Ok, there are in general a few things wrong with your post. First punctuation please! Use capital letters and split your text into logical sentences!. Second:
Killer 11 wrote:i mean not nearby think of a 1024x1024 map in one island there is a coalmine that produces 3k tones oc coal ant it is sepparated by quite large sea you don't have the money to raise the sea so you build a spaceport at the coalmine and another one at a powerplant or a station where you want to enroute it the freighter moves way faster than any seahip and caries the same if not bigger amount of coal so you can get a decent feder service and why the hell whe should have only one type of air transport if we can have one less advanced(for passengers mainly) and a very advanced one(for freight)
1. By 2040 there won't be any significant amount of coal left in the world
2. If you don't have enough money by 2040 to terraform a few tiles of sea you must be doing something really wrong, or you have encountered a 64bit money overflow
3. Even if there was coal left, we wouldn't be using any more coal since it is outdated, inefficient and horribly nature unfriendly.

As for my views on spaceports:

Code: Select all

[22:34:04]  [Darkvater]:  f8KJ*UFJ(DOSIFJ spaceport!
[22:34:25]  * Darkvater commits harkiri
[22:34:32]  Celestar:  Darkvater: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11565
[22:34:32]  [Darkvater]:  s/harkiri/harakiri
[22:34:41]  ValHallA|SW`SK:  Darkvater one death is enough for one day
[22:34:55]  [Darkvater]:  (it was a false death..typo :P )
[22:34:58]  * Darkvater is dead now though
[22:35:01]  ValHallA|SW`SK:  :w
[22:39:40]     (?)     Highlight: (Celestar@#openttd.dev) Darkvater: I'm wondering .. where is your rant post about starports?
[22:39:41]  [Darkvater]:  bbl
[22:39:42]     (?)     Darkvater changed nick to Dark|Dead
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Has anyone of you ever heard about ships? Those huge things that are floating on the water? That's how things get around today. No one will EVER use a spacecraft to carry coal around earth :roll:

Celestar
Joker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Joker »

Well, I think nobody will ever use space shuttles to haul cargo from town to town. Have you ever heard about coal transport serviced by aircrafts for example? And space shuttles would be much more expensive than aircrafts. In game it is possible to buy large planes that carry ore or coal from place to place, but still I can't imagine somebody using a space shuttle for this task

However I quite like the idea with spaceports, but lets use different approach:
Now it's 2004 and we already had first commercial travel into space. So it can be like this:
Some in 2030, 2040 or such you get message "Space station has been built for commercial space travels" and since then you'll be able to buy shuttles and transport passengers to and from the station. And, I can imagine even transporting goods to the station or new industry emerging, sth. like "Hi-tech factory" from which you'll transport some components to space.
It's just a first rough idea, but I think it's not impossible to work something like that into the game and it can be interesting.
Henkie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Henkie »

I personaly see more in seaports as a kind of industrie. It's more realistic, see ports like Rotterdam, Singapore, New York etc. They are a big piece in the transport in real life. How they should work is open for discussion because they can be developed in many directions.
Houdoe

Henkie

P.S. I like playing with trains.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

I like spaceports, however i don;t think they would be viable within the game.

Darkvater:
1) their may be no coal left in the world, but i'm sure OTTD doesn't recognise this. I remember all my coal mines being around then.
2) the game should be better balanced, and then players wouldn't be able to afford obscene amounts of terraforming.
Not to mention what happens if a player starts in 2040 (possible oncee the time has been changed to 32bit).
3) see 1.

Do you have any less emotive reasons for not wanting it? :)

I don't see spaceports being needed because spacecraft are for getting things into orbit.
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

and i meant shutles not like now(they are peace of crap)
but you know startreck or b5 ea atmospheric shuttle type
they're cheap to run and can carry reasonable amount of passengers

the freighters
you are wery nearsited people you know if i said eg. coal that doesn't mean only coal(duh)
and do you think that when gravitic drive systems will be invented som,eone could run an aircraft with jet engines.

they're poluting source and gravitic doesn't even have exoust of any kind.
freighters if will be availible would use gravitic that means theyre landingpad could be build separately(only 2x2 size station) so it could be easily placed in tight places(eg centre of a town : Goods station)

and if you fear the word fraighters call them airships.

And finally why are the devs so afraid about new technologies?

if you don't like the date 2040 then it may be any date like 2120.

if you don't know what ea atmospheric shuttle is then:

http://beyond.babylonfive.ru/VEX/t/pics ... huttle.jpg

it realy can fly in atmosphere as good as in space:
Emeric Pro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Emeric Pro »

The idea looks completely unrealistic for freight around earth, but the idea of space tourism is great.
But this could only be used if specific destinations for passengers (or a new type of cargo : "very rich person") is implemented, so a tourism-spaceport would be built (far away from cities, spaceships are/will be making a lot of noise) where those people would be accepted (sort of new kind of industry maybe)
that way (Adding a new kind of industry) it might be a bit less difficult than creating a new kind of transport.
Killer 11 wrote:and do you think that when gravitic drive systems will be invented som,eone could run an aircraft with jet engines.
Gravitic systems? :shock: not before 1000 years
It would be better if i was gliding
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Emeric Pro wrote:
Killer 11 wrote:and do you think that when gravitic drive systems will be invented som,eone could run an aircraft with jet engines.
Gravitic systems? :shock: not before 1000 years
the same you would say if we were talking 10 before first plane flight you would say the same thing about a flying machine :roll:
Emeric Pro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Emeric Pro »

Killer 11 wrote: the same you would say if we were talking 10 before first plane flight you would say the same thing about a flying machine :roll:
1000 years was maybe a bit too much.
But as you might notice looking at the pics surrounding my posts, I know some things about aeronautics & space transport (I'm studying it) and forcing something to fly without having wings going/rotating at relatively high speeds would require huge amounts of energy, and apart from a great improvement in nuclear power there's nearly no chance.
Also 10 years before 1st plane flight physics was not exactly as advanced as now...

But who knows, that would be good news... :?:
It would be better if i was gliding
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Some definitions:

An Aircraft is a device which is used, or intended to be used, for flight through the air.

A Spacecraft is a device which is used for flight in space, that means at or above 100km MSL.

An Airplane is an engine-driven fixed wing aircraft heavier than air that is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of air against it wings.

An Airship is an engine driven aircraft that is lighter than air. (i. e. it is supported in flight by buoyancy).

Thus, a device which hauls cargo from A to B through the atmosphere, even when using a graviton, photon or neutrino engine (which make pretty little or no sense in the atmosphere, even if they worked), is an airplane, because it will most likely have some kind of wings. I have no problem with modern aircraft. I'm just against the idea of a spaceport or a starport which is a place where passengers and cargo depart to SPACE.

Celestar
Joker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Joker »

Emeric Pro wrote:The idea looks completely unrealistic for freight around earth, but the idea of space tourism is great.
But this could only be used if specific destinations for passengers (or a new type of cargo : "very rich person") is implemented, so a tourism-spaceport would be built (far away from cities, spaceships are/will be making a lot of noise) where those people would be accepted (sort of new kind of industry maybe)
that way (Adding a new kind of industry) it might be a bit less difficult than creating a new kind of transport.
I agree.
Passenger destinations should be in the game before this.
Industry... that's interesting idea, too... and propably easier to work into the game...

I see four ideas of spaceports, now:
1) New kind of industry, appearing some time in 21st century, and you just transport people there by buses/trains/etc.
2) A station; new kind of industry "space station" would be placed on the orbit, accepting and giving people
3) A station; people would go there just for the trip to space, so the'll go to the spaceport, board the shuttle, go to space, go back to the spaceport and give you money.
4) Like airports, you transport cargo from one to other

My oppinion:
1) is easy to implement (as I see it), 2) is a bit more difficult, but I see it more interesting too... but there problem is how to work space station into the game.
1), 2) and 3) require passenger destinations
4) should not be "spaceport" but just new graphics for airport and new airplane types.
Virtuall1024
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Virtuall1024 »

Celestar wrote:Has anyone of you ever heard about ships? Those huge things that are floating on the water? That's how things get around today. No one will EVER use a spacecraft to carry coal around earth :roll:
true true ;)
but the ships need some improvements... emmm... faster, bigger? ;)
a.k.a. a sad dude

Achievement unlocked: log into tt-forums.net after 10 years of absence
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I can see some fantasy in starports with them being an industry that accepts/creates passangers. You deliver passangers there, then a huge spaceship amid a ton of clouds takes off. That would be cool :D
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Rexxie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rexxie »

Imagine the thrust that would be needed to lift a spaceship carrying a large amount of coal of the ground. It would work if this was on the moon with no gravity, but on earth? Negative.
- Rexxie
Sanity is a full time job.
Joker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Joker »

Darkvater wrote:I can see some fantasy in starports with them being an industry that accepts/creates passangers. You deliver passangers there, then a huge spaceship amid a ton of clouds takes off. That would be cool :D
8) That's how I imagine it, too :wink:

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”