New South Wales Rail Set[Testers Needed!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you support the changing of the set to NSWGR? See Post.

Yes
68%
No
9%
Uncertain
23%

Total votes: 94

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

hey there, excuse me for being ignorant and slightly annoying at times (like these), but where's that awesome grass from your signature, coalroads? i mean, that simply looks too awesome, having a complete Australian TTDL makeover. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by coalroads artist »

Its still coming along after i finnish more of the trains off the list.More progress was made a while back with more trees and embankments.Just have to do water egdes and rock formations.Should be released with proper ausset grf. 8)
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

awesome! well, it looks fabulous... although i'd give the rails another go if i were you, make them a little more realistic. but yes, i am extremely looking forward to seeing this set completed! keep up the good work! :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

The rails are silver on top for railhead and rust colour underneath for rail body,i think it is a improvement on realism onthe original grey ones IMO.
Tracking table-Ausset
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I like the rails, although I wouldn't mind an extra sleeper or two :)).

Actually, the best rails I have ever seen were the ones that Coalroads did with the light grey ballast. See the picutre to the far left of his signature, if you don't know the ones I mean.

Those ones are rippers!

I'll get onto the original G/T livery now, after I dump some more sprites here. I've finally finished the M-Set, and the OSC's. Massive amounts of kudos to Purno for the base sprites, I think the nose is PERFECT, and apart from painting some of it blue (for the OSC's), I didn't muck with it at all.

Thankyou again to Purno for the base sprites, as well as all his help with me along the way.
Attachments
OSC - For Longer range trains.
OSC - For Longer range trains.
OSC-Set.PNG (5.39 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
M-Set, for local trains.
M-Set, for local trains.
M-Set.PNG (5.21 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Raichase your a sprite factory at the moment :shock: .Mad work there.Good to see the ausset is up to date with the real railway system as the only place i have saw the OSC was at Goninans yard being pulled out of the sheds by a rail tractor after completion.
Tracking table-Ausset
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Awesome work Raichase! :D

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

coalroads artist wrote:The rails are silver on top for railhead and rust colour underneath for rail body,i think it is a improvement on realism onthe original grey ones IMO.
well, what i meant was the rails having too high contrast opposed to too little shading and colour variety. i'll try to explain later, maybe with a graphic.

coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

I know what you mean astath but i like having shiny rails but i might have a look at bit later as i will tweak the ballast a little anyway first, before release.
Been crook last couple of days so not much progress except 81s a nearly completed.I also included a container load in a nody to show the other work that i will have to complete some day soon. :roll:Also the variant for s wagons (will do wood load for u wagon later).
Attachments
corrections for 81 (mainly size)
corrections for 81 (mainly size)
sootc81nod.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Loads for steel, ore,timber-goods,steel goods (mesh, star posts,pipe)
Loads for steel, ore,timber-goods,steel goods (mesh, star posts,pipe)
otherss4.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Tracking table-Ausset
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

i had a problem with the first dubbledecker carrige as it is shown as an oil tanker in the buy menue and the news item.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

If you'd read the name you would find that the graphics were a placeholder.
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Recently i have been researching Australian steam locomotives with a view to plugging year gaps and add any interesting steam if found.

As a result, i have been able to place Mikado's earlier in the scene ie 1929!
See link:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~ajh/trai ... index.html

These VR X Class Mikado's were designed to be on converted to standard guage if desired.
Just needed a bogey change i think. Been unable to find the specifications
so far. Keep you posted.
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

I still don't quite understand this.

Post by Kajifox »

I'm sorry to push this, but I've been watching for a while, as I was kinda hoping to contribute some VR and SAR stuff I have enough photographs of in my Australian Railways magazines to draw from.

But I can't help asking -- How has this gone from an Australian set all the way down to just being NSW and Queensland, with a small dash of ANR/CWR stuff?

Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, WA -- all have their own unique locomotives, but a thick spat of bickering has excluded them. Why?

And what's the guff I heard a while back about "nothing in Victoria being noteworthy" or whatever it was, when up until the fourties, NSW used nearly exclusively Bayer Peacock, and Victoria was using stuff from as far away as Belgium, New Jersey and stuff built at a foundry in Ballarat?

There's nothing else in the country like the rolling stock in Tasmania, either, with it's rugged and thick-set narrow gauge gear, so why exclude that?

Just because they run on different rails here in the real world, doesn't mean there can't just be a broad/standard gauge, broad/standard electric and narrow gauge set of options -- that's just being far too picky, even if we are all model railroaders at heart -- I sincerely doubt you guys make your own broad gauge, scale track and adjust the wheels of your model V-line or SAR gear.

If HO, and HOn3 is good enough for the real world, why isn't it good enough for here?

Come on, folks -- the US railway system was far, far more vast than anything we ever dreamt of having, despite being mostly a single gauge, and they made a single set for that -- it's nearly reached final, too. Can't we see something like that instead of just a "Standard gauge set"?

I want to help, I really do, I'd love nothing better than to help, and then to call stations by names with "atta" and "gai" through them, than to see black locomotives at the head of a rust-brown set of coaches across an australian-reformed landscape, but I don't have the resources on NSW and QR gear -- So why split it up?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

It would be interesting to see those s***-can Railcar 2000/2100/3000/3100's in TTD. I could make them turnup late, with no-where near enough room for passengers, and then randomly run some poor fool down.

Eh, or just make them smash into each other :).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kajifox »

They're pretty much the only early DMU's you're going to have, I'd reckon, unless you wanted to include the Victorian "McKeen" cars -- which had motors in them for about ten years, and then ended up as carraiges. :D

EDIT; I correct myself. They were PMU's. Petrol powered!
Last edited by Kajifox on 05 Nov 2005 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Kajifox wrote:They're pretty much the only early DMU's you're going to have, I'd reckon, unless you wanted to include the Victorian "McKeen" cars -- which had motors in them for about ten years, and then ended up as carraiges. :D
Heheh, yeah, and we're still using those hunks of crap. The Railcar 2100's (Yellow nose) never get used much, they all sit in yards outside Adelaide station. The 2000's (Orange nose) sound like whales as they run, groan like crazy. The newer 3000/3100's are all still running.

Just how old are they anyway?
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kajifox »

From what I can see, Red Hens are 50's, and 2000/2100s are ... seventies?

God, only in the 1970s could something that loud, and slow, have been made. *nod*
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

the reason we have stuck to standard gauge is because it would look odd to have other gauges running on ttds tracks but maybe when we get all the standard gauge stuuf done we might be able to have some narrow gauge stuff since there are tracs for them.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kajifox »

But that's just the thing. In real modelling, compromise has been made, take HO for instance, where everything, just about, is modelled on "standard gauge". It's really not that much of a stretch, considering it's how it's done in real modelling, is it?

We're talking about a gauge which is in such a small, pixel-driven format it really doesn't make much difference between Standard and Broad -- Narrow makes sense, but excluding Broad gauge entirely just doesn't work.
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kajifox »

C'mon -- I mean, look at the set list -- Lots of grey shapes and revisions in there, spots that could be filled with more worthy locomotives, don't you think?

What about the SAR 4-8-4's, or the S-class streamliners? The L-class electric surely deserves a place, or the E-class butterboxes (No need to have the butterbox and the steeplecab, that's pointless). The M-class shunting motor for short movements, or the SAR railcars, the H class, and filling spots way back in the setlist, what about the Belgian R-Class, the American R-Class? The D? The SAR RX class that lived well into the 1970s?

The huge, pointless Victorian C-class, the most underused locomotive in the fleet? The classic Tait sets made in Bendigo, where electric powered rail didn't even exist? Surely you can see what I mean, there's lots of milestones outside NSW...

Return to “Graphics Development”