Trains skip orders at random

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Trains skip orders at random

Post by spaceman-spiff »

I suddenly noticed one of my coal mines wasn't producing coal, I knew I serviced it so I went and checked my loading station
The rating was horrible and I saw my coal trains riding around heading for the steel mill empty or half loaded, returning to the coal mines empty or half loaded
I knew when I made this service that everything worked, it worked for years
Now suddenly trains skip their orders at random
My feelings now: :shock: shocked, :? puzzled, :evil: very mad
Attachments
Train 66 is the first arriving at the steel mill, very good so far
Train 66 is the first arriving at the steel mill, very good so far
GAGAGOOGOOTRAINS3.PNG (248.1 KiB) Viewed 687 times
I started them and they started loading
I started them and they started loading
GAGAGOOGOOTRAINS2.PNG (298.66 KiB) Viewed 717 times
So I took all the trains and I've put them in line ready to load at their forst order, the orderlist seems ok to me
So I took all the trains and I've put them in line ready to load at their forst order, the orderlist seems ok to me
GAGAGOOGOOTRAINS1.PNG (267.88 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Second set
Attachments
The second train 68 is heading for the steel mill, but it goes straight through it
The second train 68 is heading for the steel mill, but it goes straight through it
GAGAGOOGOOTRAINS5.PNG (248.98 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Train 66 unloaded and was heading for my coal mine, suddenly it skips to the steel mill order
Train 66 unloaded and was heading for my coal mine, suddenly it skips to the steel mill order
GAGAGOOGOOTRAINS4.PNG (324.92 KiB) Viewed 654 times
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Solved, took me while
Those damned waypoints don't work as they should, I removed them and now my trains behave look they should
So never use waypoints unless you really need to :!:

I used them so my trains wouldn't turn around after loading, trains like to take the track that is closest to their destination, due to my double signals they can pass, but then they meet my one way signal which causes them to turn around, oh bugger
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

yea talking to yourself at your age... taken your pills? :P

wanted to suggest about removing that waypoint and make a better route from/away it. but now that you solved it....

HOORAY!!!
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Yes, I'm used to talking to myself, everybody seems to ignore me, I think about leaving
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Tell it to unload coal, that may help. And why do you have the waypoint set before the station.. if it's to make sure they go out the right way?
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Well, I added those waypoints for this:
Station with A and B, trains always took B because that was shorter to the steel mill, so a waypoint wasn't really necessary here
Station with C and D, trains always took C, then turned around and took D, so I added a waypoint to force them to take D

Now waypoints just don't work this way, that's obvious, I will try your suggestion, to force an unload
I'll let you know
Attachments
route.PNG
route.PNG (333.24 KiB) Viewed 679 times
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

That unload didn't help, waypoints are useless and buggy, unless there is a system behind it, perhaps I have to put them further or put two in a row
Is there nobody who has this problem ?
Matt86
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Matt86 »

i just make that the station points in the correct direction, so no waypoints are required :P

but anyway, if you keep it at local (not express), the train will always stop at the stations it passes through
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Off-course, all my new stations are built that way :)

And there are no stations in between, just from coal to steel mill
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

My waypoints have worked fine. I have needed them to avoid the trains getting lost (they randomly turn the wrong way on one of the junctions)
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

I use waypoints for my buses all the time so that they take faster routes instead of zigzagging through the city like they prefer to do. I havn't noticed any problems with my waypoints so far.
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

try using more waypoints, spiff ?
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Yes, there seems to be something wrong with only using one waypoint, TTD really did what you ordered, locomotion stills thinks ahead and decides that your waypoint is worse than his "route"
Next time I'll add more waypoints
orangemoo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orangemoo »

I've been playing around for a while with the waypoints in Locomotion. Things seemed to work fine for a while (I had some iron ore trains going from one end of the map to the other) - the trains had about 4 waypoints each way to route them the correct way.

Then things stopped working - my iron ore trains started taking on a life of their own and blocking up my other lines (they were too long to turn round at some stations).

I tried to work out what went wrong, so I picked up one of the trains and put it just in front of the waypoint and set that waypoint to be the next order. The train passed through the waypoint, but it didn't register on the orders list - it was still ordered to go through that waypoint!

I then thought: what have I changed? The problem seemed to happen after I had altered some track near one of the waypoints. Consequence was that the train could never get to that waypoint (even though it still seemed to be accessible from the track) and it ended up wandering over my map.

Not exhaustively checked this, but it looks as though this could be the problem. I now put waypoints some way up the line from junctions in case I change the layout of the junction later.
Ravenone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ravenone »

1.) I've had extensive problems with waypoints. They just don't work correctly and are buggy. For a few years, no probs, then thinks go wacky like others said.

I have usually 2-6 waypoints in each direction, so its not that I only have 1.

The only thing that I have done to fix the problem is to eliminate all waypoints and therefore have to change tracks and station layouts to "force" the trains to go the right way at junctions.

I thought the routing was better in this game?

I still see trains taking the wrong turns (not even close or in the right direction) for their target stations.

2.) I also seem to have trains go stupid at stations and even with 5 station tracks to choose from, about 1/2 of the trains always try to only use the first pull in, even if the others are open. This causes some nice backups when you have a goods train waiting for chemicals to drop off, but the chemicals can get through.

No rhyme, no reason for why they go crazy...

I'm almost at the point of putting in dedicated tracks & station tracks for each major delivery/pickup. It stinks to have to split a nice multi-track station into several dedicated lines..

I hope we get a patch for these. Seems pretty basic to the game.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

At one point, I had a waypoint set for the fast line in one of my games. I had no idea why my HSTs weren't stopping at either end, and taking the up slow line instead fo the fast. I looked back, and they were ignoring a perfectly reachable waypoint. Apparently, running over some points was too much work.
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

Ravenone wrote:2.) I also seem to have trains go stupid at stations and even with 5 station tracks to choose from, about 1/2 of the trains always try to only use the first pull in, even if the others are open. This causes some nice backups when you have a goods train waiting for chemicals to drop off, but the chemicals can get through.
I actually know how to fix this problem. If you give me a picture in your other thread that you made I can show you how to fix it since without a picture to use as an example it would be to complicated to put into words.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Vimp, what do yo think of my 5 pictures in this topic
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

There pretty? hehe, just kidding. Actually with out seeing exactly where your one waypoint was located and seeing a general overview of the route, a zoomed out pic of it, I can't really speculate too much on what may have been your problem.

However, I don't know if its neccesary but I always tell my trains to unload if thats all I want them to do at a paticular station. Also i never use a waypoint inless I've wittnessed a problem that would warrent a waypoint. I usually only ever use one waypoint for a route and I haven't had any problems with using just one either. But again I only use a waypoint if I've wittnessed a situation where a waypoint is needed.

Are you still having the problem? I thought you fixed it, if so what did you finnally do to fix it?

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”