Signals this time

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Signals this time

Post by 4Eyessniper »

Hi there, me again *gasp*:

I have this problem with my signals. See this picture:

When the station is full, the train near signal 1 still passes on towards signal 2, forcing the train at signal 2 to wait (and the other ones as well). I tried all kind of signals, signal combination, etc. but I cant seem to get the train at signal 1 to wait at signal 1 untill the station is empty. Does anyone have an idea?

thanks in advance again!
- Guus
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

1) for starters signal 1 need to be one-way for that to work
2) those 2 other signals (not circled) could have some negative effect to.
4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 4Eyessniper »

Yes, I tried that, but disadvantage with one way signals now is that they constantly go on the wrong track for no reason (while they came from the right direction on the same track they SHOULD have taken too on the way back). There are no other trains on the track they have to take, but still it moves to another track and goes to the completely wrong station.

In the next picture you can see that the train with the white circle goes the wrong direction. It should have gone over the track next to the white line. I cant see any faults in the track and the train came from that direction (but then from the other signal). Those 3 trains (1 of them is in the station, so the train with the circle comes from the 'bottom' platform!!!!) on the screenshot are the only trains I have.

Screeny:
http://www.guusclaessen.demon.nl/signaltroubles2.gif
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

heh with locomotion you gotta try making it do complex things as simple as possible. This works great without any problems. you could also make a 3-station, one for each direction :D
make the one way track long enough. since it got low traffic it won't matter much.
Attachments
4eyesSignaltrouble.JPG
4eyesSignaltrouble.JPG (257.22 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

the problem here really seems to be the trackwork. try changing your entry junction. the locomotion signals dont really like so many tracks in the same path, it confuses them.
4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 4Eyessniper »

Allright, I'll try that! Less track, less track, less track *brainwashes himself* :lol:

Thanks for the help!
Slace
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Slace »

did the AI make that mess :P
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

I hope this is helpfull. I did 1 exmple of what you did and made a second example of what you might want to try doing. Basicly I don't understand why it works the way it does but I simply simplified what you had and it works, I tested it.

Example1
Example2
Last edited by Vimp on 24 Sep 2004 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Slace
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Slace »

this is how i'd be doing the station
Attachments
3-tracks.JPG
3-tracks.JPG (255.44 KiB) Viewed 978 times
4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 4Eyessniper »

Yes, but in those cases, trains wont stop at the signal in front of the junctions when the station is full. That's why I used one way signals before the trains go to the junction (when on route to the station).
Slace
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Slace »

Although I haven't tested i'm pretty sure that that setup would work. Also, make sure that the train isn't too long for the station. I've had cases where the train looks like it fits but it just hangs over, causing problems
4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 4Eyessniper »

Slace wrote:Although I haven't tested i'm pretty sure that that setup would work. Also, make sure that the train isn't too long for the station. I've had cases where the train looks like it fits but it just hangs over, causing problems
could anyone test it for me please, as I'm at my parent's this weekend (so no locomotion), and I'm kinda curious :D
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

As I said I tested what you see in my Example2 picture and it works. They do stop at the signals when the station is full even though they are all twoway signals. But also as i said I dunno why it works in the one case and not in the other. For some reason simply simplifiing it made it work without needing oneway signals.
4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 4Eyessniper »

Allright, I will try this too when I get home :)

Thanks!
Slace
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Slace »

example 2 is basically the same as mine, I didn't look close enough before I posted mine :P
Ravenone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ravenone »

Guys, not to be picky, but when you do a screen capture showing signals, can you turn the direction arrows on? I can look close and figure it out, but it would be quicker with green arrows.

thanks!
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

All the pictures shown are with two way signals so there are no arrows to see.
MacNetron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MacNetron »

I know the original example has only a 2 track station, but a 3 track station with no junctions at all completely elliminates all queues.

Does the solution of vimp means that if you keep the number of junctions small, that the trains are able to "look ahead" on blocks?
"Sir! The people! They can't help falling in love with you!" - Civilization 2, Luxury Advisor
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

It wasn't the size of the junction that caused a problem but rather the redundancy of it. He had some trains having multiple choices for how they proceeded from the signal to the station and I guess this confuses them causing the problems he was having.

And right you are about simply making it a 3 track station and eliminating the junction all together. However A LOT of the chosen strategy in the game is trying to do the most with the least. The "least" refering to the least amount of track. Or it may simply have been that he hadn't thought to eliminate the junction, or perhaps he simply liked the way it looked.
mede
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mede »

4Eyessniper wrote:Yes, but in those cases, trains wont stop at the signal in front of the junctions when the station is full. That's why I used one way signals before the trains go to the junction (when on route to the station).
I have the same problem. (I am poor in English,sorry :oops: )
so I have to do such as:
Attachments
11 拷贝.jpg
11 拷贝.jpg (169.85 KiB) Viewed 759 times
TT is phoenix !!
-------------------
playing 1995~?

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”