Help with gamespot purchase (noCD option)

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Ragnoff
Engineer
Engineer

Help with gamespot purchase (noCD option)

Post by Ragnoff »

Ok, i did the 60 min trial from gamespot, then bought the game (which is done electronically). I loaded on both of my computers (mine and my wife's) so i could play on whichever one was free. Then my wife desided she liked the game, so i bought a second copy electronically so we could play 2 player.... now the problem.

I uninstalled my copy from her machine and tried to install hers, but no matter how many times I do that, when we try to paly if says "duplicate CD), and I cannot seem to find a way/place to enter teh new key sent to me by gamespot. so i have no pays 60$ for 2 copies and still cannot play a 2 player game!

Does anyone know how to either change keys or remove the game and whereever the hidden file with the key is so that I can reinstall it using the new key?
JamesM
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JamesM »

I assume what ever key thing they use it is well hidden, because if it was easily found people could remove the time limit on the "trial". I'm buying the game on CD and I will be very annoyed if the trial (which is uninstalled) in some interfers with my new copy.......I suggest emailing gamespot or trial media and venting your frustration at them.
Realgar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Realgar »

You should ask directly on gamespot.

But one thing you could try and I'm absolutely NOT sure that works is to uninstall the game completely on the pc you're having problem (also delete any files/folders it might leave after uninstallation) and then use some registry cleaner... Don't think that's gonna work actually but you can try while waiting for an answer from gamespot.
Ragnoff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragnoff »

asked on Gamespot, as of yet, no reply! Ah well. i guess if I do not hear anything by later today I will do a refund request.

Did not try using a registry cleaner, never messed with one of those before, any suggestions on a good one to download? (Hopefully one that is easy to understand....)
Qwakrz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Qwakrz »

All you need to do is uninstall the game & re-install it.

I had to do exactly that when I bought 2 copies and installed the same one on 2 PC's.

Uninstalling and re-installing will ask for the CD key again & will fix your problem.
Ragnoff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragnoff »

I tried that several times. I bought the game electronically through Gamespot (place where you can get the 60minute trial) and thus I do not HAVE a CD, just a purchase code. i cannot get teh 2nd computer to ask for a purchase code again, it seems to keep finding the original code and will not seem to allow me to enter the second code.
shYheim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shYheim »

i know it is " warez" and a "crack" but for many games they have programs that open up a certain part of a certain file and allow you to change the cd-key, i regularly do that for warcraft3 and all it does is edit war3.mpq but has a nice easy to use gui for you to type in your new key.

so just wait on something like that to come out or:

go through the registry and type in things like " chris sawyer" and " locomotion" and " gamespot" and delete every single entry that comes up, had to do that a few times for programs.
Cameraman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cameraman »

I looked through the registry and I believe it leaves a cd key (or at least some sort of ID number) in the registry even when you uninstall the game. Best bet is to search for it and delete it.
Ragnoff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragnoff »

I tried to do the serch and delete things. I found a LOT of entries, I deleted them all...

Did nto work. so I did the "return" option at gamespot, and no longer own the game (deleted them again) I will get one copy for a bit less that the 29.99 through EB games tomorrw (got a membership there).

For the second copy for the 2 of us to play together, I will watch the used bin at EBgames and EBay, maybe actually have CDs rrather than the electornicaly purchaded dowlaod copies will allow me to make this work.
JamesM
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JamesM »

Did you look for registry keys with names like 'trymedia' or 'activemark'
mephisto_kur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mephisto_kur »

I imagine one of the many no-cd patches on the web would have fixed the problem. Whenever I buy a game, it's one of the first things I do. I hate swapping CDs. What a nocd patch does is give you a loco.exe file that does not look for the copy protection. Even without having a physical CD, it should fix your problem.

Since I bought my copy the day it came out, there wasn't a patch available yet, so I ended up using Alcohol 120% to create an image that sits in the game directory. As long as you set the options correctly, the game thinks the mounted image file on my Alcohol or Daemon Tools virtual drive is the true CD. Now my physical copy sits in my CD bin instead of getting lost in the mess that is my desk.
shYheim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shYheim »

ragnoff check your pms please.

Return to “General Locomotion”