problem with playing OTTD on WIFI

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kuzmic
Engineer
Engineer

problem with playing OTTD on WIFI

Post by Kuzmic »

Hi, I have a problem connecting to the network when I'm playing multiplayer. When I'm playing on the LAN everything is fine. When I'm playing over the hotspot from my phone, everything is also fine. But if I play over home WIFI the game is stable for a few minutes, then I will lose the network completely - windows is reporting the loss of home network. If more people on the same network want to be playing on the same public server, the error is very frequent. I'm not observing any other network outages during normal work, watching youtube, etc.
I see this problem on all my laptops of different manufacturers. However, they all have the same operating system (Windows 10 - version 1903) and are connecting to the same router. I am not expecting errors in Windows, but I am assuming a problem in setting up my router (TP-Link).

Would anyone know how I can fix this error?
kamnet

Re: problem with playing OTTD on WIFI

Post by kamnet »

I would suspect that the issue is your wireless router is flaking out.
Kuzmic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kuzmic »

Any other traffic in my home WIFI network is working smoothly. I'm not observing outages or disconnecting. The problem is only present when OTTD is running.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kuzmic wrote: 19 Nov 2019 19:31 Any other traffic in my home WIFI network is working smoothly. I'm not observing outages or disconnecting. The problem is only present when OTTD is running.
None of those other uses require a persistent connection. Streaming video is buffered on the client end in order to smooth over disruptions in the data stream, everything else is sent as data packets are needed. You've already ruled out any issues via ethernet and using a mobile hotspot. You have documented that this behavior is consistent across various computers all running the same OS. And you noted specifically that Windows is generating the error, which indicates that the computer is having a problem communicating with your wifi network, and not any other network.
Kuzmic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kuzmic »

Thank you for answer. Yes, everything is true. But in the case of long-term computing or watching a movie from NAS etc. ... WIFI is still connected (packet loss is possible, but no connection loss). My connection problem stems from a complete disconnection of WIFI, which I only observe with OTTD multiplayer. After the outage I have to manually connect to the WIFI network. If the game is working properly on the LAN but has a WIFI problem on the same router, I think the problem will be in protecting the wireless part - is this a wrong guess?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Do you observe this same problem with other multiplayer network games played over the same wifi router?
Kuzmic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kuzmic »

No, I'm observing these problems only with OTTD multiplayer.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”