Making this forum public

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Making this forum public

Post by orudge »

In some ways, I think making this forum writable by normal users would be a good idea, as there are several technically-minded users who could contribute useful ideas. We could move non-technical threads easily enough to other forums.

What do you all think?
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

I think a lot people would misuse this forum too much. Therefore I disagree.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I disagree as well. I fear this forum would get messed up with bug reports, feature requests and "I agree" posts.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

I would personally have nothing against trying it out. We could always just do heavy moderation with a lot of moving threads around and deleting irrelevant posts, and if there would be too many of those we could close it again.
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

First post! (well, public post, anyway)

I'd probably disagree with what Vurlix has said above. Limiting posting to only certain users wasn't really the way to go. After all, it's not called ClosedTTD, is it?
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Yeah, I myself have been kinda wary of OpenTTD development practices - it's supposed to be "open" source, yet only certain "active" developers can access SVN or be in the SourceForge list :roll:. Seems a bit closed to me . . .
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

CobraA1 wrote:Yeah, I myself have been kinda wary of OpenTTD development practices - it's supposed to be "open" source, yet only certain "active" developers can access SVN or be in the SourceForge list :roll:. Seems a bit closed to me . . .
You cannot have everyone on the Sourceforge list, now can you? You can still add new patches, suggestions, bugs, etc. Having 20 administrators is never a good thing.

Altough sometimes, I would like SVN access to add my own patches without waiting for someone to finally get online, I still think that is good. Imagine 20 people all of them adding their own patches without any control. It WILL be a huge mess. It's much better to have a few people that look through the patch and accept it, so that the source doesn't become a big-pile-o-s***. The only "active" developers that can access SVN is ludde/vurlix . Bjarni, and dominik, who also have access, can only make small changes (specific to their OS) or makefilechanges. Technically they could add all kinds of changes, but it's always better to have the head-developer, ludde, take a look at it, before anything major changes.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
fortis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fortis »

yeah, current system works out nicely. Although I do like this part of the forums open, as long as we get some nice healthyly debates, and ideas. But openttd is very open when it comes to working with patches and ideas, just swing by IRC and can see some of the discussions at times.

But yeah, if you have some source code you'd like to see in openttd, post it in Patch Tracking System. And ludde is usually around just have to poke enough. ;)
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

On the other end of the spectrum, BZFlag has 50 people on the developers lists, and I'm still in it, even I haven't contributed for quite some time.

I suppose it's a philisophical thing, but having more developers isn't always "a mess". I haven't really seen that in Open Source projects, even ones with large numbers of developers.

But, whatever you feel comfortable with, go with it.
Last edited by CobraA1 on 04 Jun 2004 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

fortis wrote:yeah, current system works out nicely. Although I do like this part of the forums open, as long as we get some nice healthyly debates, and ideas. But openttd is very open when it comes to working with patches and ideas, just swing by IRC and can see some of the discussions at times.

But yeah, if you have some source code you'd like to see in openttd, post it in Patch Tracking System. And ludde is usually around just have to poke enough. ;)
it's not only ludde, who applies the patches. It really depends on what they are. If somebody applies mac specific stuff (nobody have done that since I got svn access :( ), I would apply it
This way, we take the load of ludde/vurlix for them to do the big issues in the code, and the porters are often those, who know their OS specific stuff

and I agree, that svn access should be limited to some people to avoid messy code.
MYOB
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by MYOB »

And some people, like me, are on the Developers list so we can do releases for whichever OS we package for, as well as manage bugs/RFE's/patches for said OS. But people who commit one patch being put on the developers list causes problems. Lots of problems
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I must say that I'm impressed with the forum users. I have not seen a single post in this forum, which belonged in another one and no "I agree" either. Just serious posts. This makes me believe in the noble human race once again

Return to “OpenTTD Development”