Give us traffic signs, please

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Janssoni
Engineer
Engineer

Give us traffic signs, please

Post by Janssoni »

I have noticed that there are very few traffic signs in the game.

Among those signs I miss most is the sign "Forbidden to enter if no business on property" - meaning no vehicle may pass if it's loading spot isn't on the road/track in question.

This would help above all to prevent those devilish jams caused by vehicles visiting unwanted (and often unforeseen) depots for service. Only one exception would apply: when the user has given a general order to all or some of the vehicles.

Comments?

Thanks.

--=janssoni=--
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Give us traffic signs, please

Post by GarryG »

I have some Traffic signs in my Auz Road Set, but your idea maybe they be better as a separate object file? That way they can be used with all roads.

So I will do that today. So watch my AuzObject section for it.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Making signs that actually function as pathfinder restrictions might be difficult, and combining it with rules like some tiles are non-passable only when routing to some specific kinds of destinations, and depending on what the next normal destination is, makes it even worse.

Some ideas you can try to get a similar effect:
- Make side roads that only lead to stations and only should be used by vehicles actually going to that station, use a road type with a slower speed limit than the main roads. That should make vehicles not going to those stations avoid the side road.
- Use one-way sections on the side roads with depots, such that the only way to the depot is the long way of driving all the way to the end, through the station, and then back towards the main road.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

jfs wrote: 19 Aug 2020 06:43 Making signs that actually function as pathfinder restrictions might be difficult, and combining it with rules like some tiles are non-passable only when routing to some specific kinds of destinations, and depending on what the next normal destination is, makes it even worse.
i'm not sure what you think the problem is here. like, the rail pathfinder has conditions like "don't go through a red signal, if it is the last signal before the destination station" and the only problem with that is that you can't cache this value.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Janssoni wrote: 18 Aug 2020 14:16 This would help above all to prevent those devilish jams caused by vehicles visiting unwanted (and often unforeseen) depots for service.
If you include depot stops at appropriate intervals in the orders list, vehicles won't stray all over the place to visit "unwanted (and often unforeseen) depots."

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”