Motorways, Freeways, Highways.. u name it...

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Motorways, Freeways, Highways.. u name it...

Post by gutfreund »

Hello, I think road development is missing quite a bit in TT. Furthermore the cities doesnt look like real cities - the roads are too big compared to the number of houses. Solution
1) Create a citi zone, where the single square is not one house but a number of houses (a citi structure in it self)

Introduction of Motorways (Highways/freeways)
1) Each citi produces an amount of cars who wants to go on the highway system.
2) Each citi automatically offeres a nuimber of highway connection point depending on the size of the citi
3) you can make a highway system...
4) The traffic goes automatically on to your highway system based on the city size it is connected. All cars are going to a destination.. the better connection between two destinations the more traffic it aquires..
5) you get paid for cars/KM (road pricing ..)

can anyone see where i am going??
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Motorways, Freeways, Highways.. u name it...

Post by wallyweb »

gutfreund wrote:can anyone see where i am going??
Sim City ? :wink:
gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gutfreund »

..hmm.. you can make rails, airport and roads in simcity. Transportation tycoon is different.. it is a transportation game. In TT you can build airports, railroads.. why not roads? It is a missing feature in the game. Imagine you could build highways, 2,3 or 4 lanes.. imagine the capacity these roads could have and how much more people you could transport in TT
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

You can build roads in TTDX.
With the patch (and maybe OTTD too), you can make a road "One-Way".
Build parallel roads with each one-way in opposite directions and you have a motorway/autoroute/autobahn/interstate.
Granted they are not as pretty as they are in Sim City and you don't get long sweeping curves and they are out of proportion to rails but that is the flavour of TTDX.
As for more proportional city blocks, you can dynamite buildings and roads and essentially go on a major urban renewal rampage ... erm ... project. :wink:
If you use the scenario editor, you make a city much as you envision it. I do this often and I even create industrial zones.
Oh yes, one more thing ... with a little creative use of railroad waypoints, I can even add on/off ramps with toll plazas to my highways. 8)
gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gutfreund »

I see your point.. but to elaborate bit more, i see a highway system where ppl automatically goes.... in current format you need to put them in busses to make money, which is not realistical... in a transportation game you need, in my view, to take cars into account... and I truly believe it would enhance TTDX
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

gutfreund wrote:I see your point.. but to elaborate bit more, i see a highway system where ppl automatically goes.... in current format you need to put them in busses to make money, which is not realistical... in a transportation game you need, in my view, to take cars into account... and I truly believe it would enhance TTDX
Well, to begin, TTDX is not so much a transportation game as it is a cargo transportation business game, so making money is endemic to the whole thing and everything else is merely eye candy.
Now, on the subject of eye candy and something closer to your concept ... Zephyris' Generic Cars ... Build as many as you want and set them loose without orders. They will wander willi-nilly all over the place. :mrgreen:
gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gutfreund »

Somebody, please back me up.. dont we need a highway system????
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Jasper, how many times to I have to tell you to go away?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gutfreund »

i am not jasper.. but I recon i have a partner in crime?? i am from denmark
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

gutfreund wrote:Somebody, please back me up.. dont we need a highway system????
As I stated before, TTDX and the Patch gives us all we need to create highways.
That is why the Patch developers see no value in creating one.
If you are really insistent upon having one, may suggest you look here?
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

Well the current way to make highways doesn't solve the many cases of vehicles not overtaking very well. There are too many situations which stop vehicles overtaking.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Conditional Zenith: Consider using the rvovertakeparams switch (assuming you're running a nightly).

Highways are never going to be implemented in TTDPatch unless you personally spend the *enormous* amount of time and effort required in attempting to implement them.

RV movement is broken enough on ordinary roads, never mind adding yet more complexity into the mix...

Lastly the game does not scale well in road vehicle usage anyway. If you have enough road vehicles to actually require a proper highway, then you will have other significant problems and major hurdles which I'd be surprised if you can overcome effectively.

If you need to haul *that* much stuff, use a train or a boat...
TTD was never designed for RVs to be used for much more than local bus services and point-to-point small scale industrial transportation...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

JGR wrote: Highways are never going to be implemented in TTDPatch unless you personally spend the *enormous* amount of time and effort required in attempting to implement them.

RV movement is broken enough on ordinary roads, never mind adding yet more complexity into the mix...
I should have paid more attention to which forum this was in :oops:. Most of these repetitive suggestions seem to come up for OTTD, and I must have forgotten to check this time.
Anyway, I agree on all that. Highways would be useless without proper overtaking code anyway. And if the overtaking code is solid, then there's little need for highways. I make similar arguments when this comes up for OTTD.

And I agree regarding RVs in general. I played an OTTD + George's ECS game with RVs only, and spent most of my time cloning vehicles. And I do have to say my bottleneck there was the lack of overtaking of broken down vehicles (I had a pair of one way roads), meaning they all hit the truck stops in bursts.
gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gutfreund »

lets assume you found an investor who were willing to pay lets say 2 programmer 1yr of work.. how would it look then?
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Please accept it's never going to happen. It would be coded if it was worth doing anyway.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Which 2 programmers are these?
AFAICT nobody on the dev team is interested or thinks it feasible. Huge wads of dosh will not change the latter, I also suspect that you do not have huge wads of dosh free to just hand out.

Before you make silly suggestions like that I suggest you take a peek at the code or have someone who knows something about coding take a look.
Any 3rd party programmer you try to commission will most likely take one look at the code, before running to their mother, weeping copiously and screaming in terror.

Sometimes you just have to accept that a huge square peg will not fit into a small round hole, no matter how you try and spin it.

If you seriously want highways, go play simcity or something.

(Arguably the chances of it being implemented in OTTD in the future are orders of magnitude higher than in the patch, although the validity of declaring a probability orders of magnitude greater than zero is mathematically questionable...)
(PS, that doesn't mean go spam/whine at them, they've heard this before and have *much* better things to do ATM (and likely for a *long* time into the future as well))
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
gutfreund
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gutfreund »

Point taken.. no highways....
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

JGR wrote:Any 3rd party programmer you try to commission will most likely take one look at the code, before running to their mother, weeping copiously and screaming in terror.
Oh, it's not quite that bad. There's a decent chance they'd only do two out of three.
gutfreund wrote:Point taken.. no highways....
I stand corrected. You are not Jasper.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

why did you bump up a 6 month old topic like this? ?(
its fairly useless anyway :?:
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”