Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by Eddi »

they also use sprites from the original game (e.g. the hangar)
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

Eddi wrote:they also use sprites from the original game (e.g. the hangar)
If so, isn't for example Metropolitan Airport violation of this rule as well? I mean, it is modified City Airport, isn't it?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Because OpenTTD is a clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, it must provide support for the original TTD base graphics. OpenTTD can introduce new code that TTD did not, such as the rotated airports with altered state machine (the code that controls how the airplanes circle, land and take off). This has no effects on the graphics, as long as the graphics are there to use. The airport graphics are not made up of one single individual block of graphics. Each type and orientation is made up of several tiles of graphics grouped together. This is how OpenTTD can add the new airport sizes and layouts, because it doesn't require new graphics. As long as those graphics are included in the base set, it can be done.

If OpenTTD only used the OpenGFX graphics set, then it wouldn't be a problem to include the rotated airport sprites from OpenGFX+ Airports. However, because the game has to also support the original TTD graphics, which do not include the required rotated sprites, nor can we legally alter those sprites, allowing that code to run while using the original TTD base graphics would produce graphical errors. There's now way to fix those errors. That's why OpenGFX+ Airports is a NewGRF add-on and not part of the core game. Of course, I personally would not be offended if devs dropped support for the TTD base graphics, since they're no longer required in order to play the game, but there are way too many players, coders and fans who would be upset with this change.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Illioplius wrote:
Eddi wrote:they also use sprites from the original game (e.g. the hangar)
If so, isn't for example Metropolitan Airport violation of this rule as well? I mean, it is modified City Airport, isn't it?
no, because it just takes existing sprites and arranges them differently. it does not require modified sprites.
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

I'm not quite sure where to put this, but here goes:

Is it possible to extend length: for vehicles beyond 8?

E.g. create:

Length 9 = 36 px
Length 10 = 40 px

etc.

This would allow longer/more accurate vehicles, while reducing workload on GRF programmers since we wouldn't need to do the "invisible articulated part" hack, and allow flipping of those vehicles in the depot -- something not possible with articulated vehicles.
DeletedUser13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser13 »

The thing i want to see improved is the placement if airports
Sometimes its impossibles to place an airport on flat land and have a good catchment area
Every city should have a prebuilt airport in the middle and it could be upgraded to a bigger size to acomodate more traffic

Another thing i would like to see is the ablity to be able to save different station and junction setups with signals insted of having to build one ever time
If we went to the moon why did we come back

quoted from myself

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Stefanstefan wrote:Every city should have a prebuilt airport in the middle
It'll be weird when skyscrapers all appear around it... If the location is moveable, probably the same problem would still appear on later dates - it'll crash the game directly.
Stefanstefan wrote:able to save different station and junction setups with signals
There's something like this already, copy and paste patch.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
DeletedUser13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser13 »

Does anyone have a screen shot of the copy and past addon and how would install it

quoted from myself

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Stefanstefan wrote:Does anyone have a screen shot of the copy and past addon and how would install it
It's easy:
1. You install a C++ compiler and required libraries (the wiki has details)
2. You go to the thread of the copy/paste patch in the development forum and find the newest version of the patch.
3. You download the matching version of the openttd source code from svn (the wiki has details)
4. You compile the source code, to check whther your compiler and libraries work correctly.
5. You apply the copy/paste patch to the source code (the wiki has details)
6. You compile the patched source.
7. You start the program that you created in step 6
8. You take a screenshot. <<<======= Objective 1
9. You read this post how to install it <<<======= Objective 2

And for bonus:

10. You can play the game with the copy/paste functionality immediately without further effort.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Stefanstefan wrote:Does anyone have a screen shot of the copy and past addon and how would install it
There's one similiar included in Chill's Patchpack, if you hate to compile, but it also includes A LOT of other things. More exactly, what included is this instead.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
DeletedUser13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser13 »

Okay thanks for the help
I think i found a solution for the airport problem
You can build you airport on the side of the city and just add bus stations inside the city but still being part of the airport station
You can use the catchment area for bus and truck stations to increase the coverage of the airport

quoted from myself

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Stefanstefan wrote:I think i found a solution for the airport problem
You can build you airport on the side of the city and just add bus stations inside the city but still being part of the airport station
You can use the catchment area for bus and truck stations to increase the coverage of the airport
Hehe, semi-cheating way 8)

Or if you don't want to feel guilty, you can have a feeder service on latest cargodist (or cargodest) patch (cargodist provide binaries). ChillPP does includes one of them, passengers will set it up themself (no need to force transfer etc, just leave it as it is).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
DeletedUser13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser13 »

I think i am good for now with the semi cheating 8)
I was recently on the wiki and if i remember correctly goods dont count towards the expansion of cities im not sure if thats correct but if it is i think someone should fix that

quoted from myself

SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

This is probably 'commonly asked for', but would it be possible code-wise to have an option for a train to load at a station until the line ahead is clear?

It would be quite useful at passing stations where presently they will load, leave the station and wait at the signal just outside the station, possibly with carriages still at the platforms. I know it's not very realistic as proper timetabling would take care of this but I rarely have time to properly timetable my trains in OTTD.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
beritaprofit
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beritaprofit »

Thankyou very much for this great games..
However sometimes I lack motivation to play this game, because of there is no goal/mission to achieve something great in this game. Others game could be more live and intense because there is mission or something to achieve as the measurement of the player ability. (like railroad tycoon)

Some items that could be missions to achieve within range of years:
-achieve numbers of stations
-achieve numbers of planes,ship,trains,bus/truck
-achieve accumulated wealth
-achieve good ranks in society
-achieve most dense traffic
-achieve biggest market share
-get the biggest share in other compay, maybe?
-achieve most global preferred company by goverment (maybe we can achieve from bribery??? heheheh)
-achieve biggest numbers of coal transported in coal country
-achieve biggest numbers of passengers transported
-connecting 5 or more city with active train stations (network of city railway to transport passengers)
and others goal points

So, I hope that the team could bring this feature up, so we can embed mission on each map, or to create some campaign consisting each scenarios/maps.

Others crazy feature that i suggested
- the ability of transport company to own factory and gain profit from it. with buy or sell the company to gain cash. (profits could be in every months/every production/sale in destination stations) Because i seen that state owned railway company in my country have sugar factory even plantation.
-limitation of receving raw material to be processed in factory (hey, factory not always able to buy all delivered raw materials isn't it?... so we need seal a contract for 5 years delivery with the factory? hmmm, unable to provide the contract may cause penalty??)

Thanks a lot
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

I think you can do that with Game Script or something. Never tried it though.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

beritaprofit wrote:Thankyou very much for this great games..
However sometimes I lack motivation to play this game, because of there is no goal/mission to achieve something great in this game. Others game could be more live and intense because there is mission or something to achieve as the measurement of the player ability. (like railroad tycoon)
You'd think with the competitive western world people would like to relax with a game, but apparently not :p

As UseYourIllusion mentioned, goal scripts are the direction you want to look.
Try NoCarGoal or Silicon Valley scripts

Also, yesterday, a story book patch was added to trunk, which enables you to make a chronicle of goals. It's brand new, so we need some testers.
You'll need a nightly for that.
jojkov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jojkov »

Hi, i am new here, so sorry for my noobish questions. I just want to ask, if in future in OpenTTD could be possible to build bridges over another bridges or to build bridge right from entrance/exit of tunel. It is because in later years it is very difficult to fin som space, but this would improve it very much. You know what i mean, like those japanese multi-level highways :D
ImageImage
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

You might want to explore more about OpenTTD's bridge limitations and why it's fairly difficult to implement at here, here, here, here, and all over the OpenTTD Subforum (possible results http://www.tt-forums.net/search.php?key ... mit=Search ).

Note : read the topics thoroughly, you only can infer it.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I have absolutely no idea about the technical side of OTTD, but does the use of 3D models in some 32bpp sets mean that we could eventually be able to produce the game in a 3D view, similar to the old playstation version of Transport Tycoon using these graphics?

Or is it more the case that the whole game itself would need re-writing from the ground up to accommodate this?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”