Path problem

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jamiet99uk
Engineer
Engineer

Path problem

Post by jamiet99uk »

I'm having a problem I just don't understand, when trying to use path signals to allow trains to access a station.

Here's a picture of the problem.
Path Issue.png
Path Issue.png (532 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Here we have a station where one platform is occupied by a train, but the second platform is vacant. All the signals you can see are standard path signals.

A second train has arrived and needs to stop at the station, but it stops at the path signal "waiting for free path" instead of moving into the vacant platform.

For some reason the path into the vacant platform is unavailable. BUT WHY? There should be a path! The platform is vacant and the train could get there without encountering the other train. WHY IS THE PATH UNAVAILABLE?

Please help me as this is driving me nuts.

Jamie T
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Path problem

Post by 2TallTyler »

Notice you have path reservations shown by darkening the tracks. It appears that the first train is reserving around the crossover past the station, back through the empty platform, and all the way to the signal at the other station.

Path reservations only end at a signal In the direction of travel. You should place path signals between the station platforms and the crossovers at either end, facing the platform so a train can reserve a route into a platform and then end its reservation at the signal immediately past the platform.
jamiet99uk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jamiet99uk »

2TallTyler wrote: 16 Jan 2021 14:27 Notice you have path reservations shown by darkening the tracks. It appears that the first train is reserving around the crossover past the station, back through the empty platform, and all the way to the signal at the other station.

Path reservations only end at a signal In the direction of travel. You should place path signals between the station platforms and the crossovers at either end, facing the platform so a train can reserve a route into a platform and then end its reservation at the signal immediately past the platform.
It doesn't *do* that, though. The train in the station just turns around in the platform where it is, and goes out the way it came. It doesn't actually move through the path you're describing.

So why does that reserve / block the other platform in the meantime?

(Thanks for your assistance!)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

It is reserving path around crossover. And you have turned on 90deg curves. You need signals after platform, train want to make turn around crossover.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The signal doesn’t know where the train is headed after the current order, it just wants to get it into the platform and will keep reserving tiles until it can find a signal to stop at.
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Basic layout for two track station. Notice straight track before station for signals, your cross overs are to close.
Attachments
Fort Pendinghattan Transport, 1952-01-08.png
(1.59 MiB) Not downloaded yet
jamiet99uk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jamiet99uk »

Thanks everyone. For some reason I thought the station platform functioned as a "block" and therefore didn't need an extra signal immediately after it.

How do I turn off 90-degree turns? I don't want them on, it must just be the default?
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

From start screen select settings , vehicles , routing forth block down , forbid trains making 90 turn

Have check through all settings but only change BEFORE starting game do not change unless starting new game :shock:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

mak wrote: 16 Jan 2021 17:06 Basic layout for two track station.
The signals at the far end of the station are backwards. They should be facing the platforms.
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Ah. You spotted my deliberate mistake :oops: :D :D

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”