How to make fonts bigger?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Oletimer2018
Engineer
Engineer

How to make fonts bigger?

Post by Oletimer2018 »

I apologise for this seemingly simple problem but I can't sort it...

I'm a long time player of TT and recently updated my version.
The problem I'm having is the fonts are way too small for my old eyes to read.
Can anyone explain to an old (really old) gamer how to make the in game fonts bigger please.
I have looked, but (truthfully) I don't know what I'm looking for or at.
At nearly 75 it's a bit late for me to learn code to do what I want so is there an easier way?
Cheers
George
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to make fonts bigger?

Post by jfs »

If you select Game Options from the main menu, you can set the interface size and the font size. For various technical reasons it's only possible to choose 2x and 4x scale that way, and that might end up being too large.
When you change those settings things might end up looking slightly weird, but after closing all windows and opening them again it will fix itself.

There is also a way to get more granular font sizing, but right now that (still) depends on editing the config file manually. You need to do that while OpenTTD is not running, otherwise it will not get your changes and will just throw them away when you exit the game.

To change the font settings on Windows you would open your Documents folder in File Explorer and browse to the OpenTTD folder from there. It should have four CFG files, one of them being openttd.cfg. You want to right-click that and choose Open With, and open it with Notepad.
About 18 lines down from the top of the openttd.cfg file there are several lines that being with small_font, medium_font, and below those some lines with small_size, medium_size, etc. You need to change all those lines to customize the font settings. Here's the settings I use:
[+] Spoiler

Code: Select all

small_font = Tahoma
medium_font = Tahoma
large_font = Georgia
mono_font = Consolas
small_size = 9
medium_size = 12
large_size = 18
mono_size = 12
small_aa = false
medium_aa = false
large_aa = false
mono_aa = false
If you want larger but not massively larger fonts, I would suggest changing the size values to 11/16/20/16.
Oletimer2018
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oletimer2018 »

jfs: Thank you so much for your time and effort. I will have a go and see what happens.
I'll report back after I have a result.
Cheers
George
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

JFS.

Thank you from another Septuagenarian.

I followed your guidance and found all of the settings were blank or 0, so just copied your spoiler settings and voila.
:bow:

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”