No music or sound

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

No music or sound

Post by philreddog »

running win 7 64bit

OpenTTD 1.10.0

I have the music and the sound installed, i can see them in the selected in the GAME OPTIONS (openSFX and OPENMSX) the slider bars are turned up, and my speakers work with other programs. What am I missing here? I have this running on 3 machines but this one gets no sound or music?

I read somewhere it might be a MIDI issue? Not sure how id go about fixing that, or checking to see if i have it set right.
side note, it was not working on V. 1.9.1 either.
Anyone have any advice?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: No music or sound

Post by jfs »

Just to clear out the obvious checklist: Have you looked at the Windows volume mixer, verified that OpenTTD isn't muted/turned town?
philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by philreddog »

Yes, i played other applications with audio, and they worked fine.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

philreddog wrote: 13 Feb 2020 14:10 Yes, i played other applications with audio, and they worked fine.
In Windows 7, individual applications can have audio adjusted. Run OpenTTD, down in the toolbar right-click on the sound icon and select Open Volume Mixer. OpenTTD's volume should be independently controlled apart from the system volume.
philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by philreddog »

In game volume is up as well, and i can see the track selected, and i have tried other tracks. Still no audio.
philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by philreddog »

so the controller was all the way off, but even after i raised it there its still not playing. I can see the bar raising and lowering with the music.... so it looks as its getting audio, just nothing coming through the speakers.
philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by philreddog »

So, the volume is up on the controller in windows, i can see the audio line moving, the in game controller 's volume bars are turned up, yet no sound from anything in game.
If i do an audio test i get sound from Windows, as well as sound from other apps.

Has to be something in the game, or sound card not reading the audio files maybe?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

This is a long shot, but many years ago I remember some people had trouble getting some programs to play sound, if Windows was incorrectly configured for a surround sound speaker setup, which didn't match the actual speaker setup used. Some applications would end up playing sound through just the front speakers or just the rear speakers, or just the centre channel, and if you didn't have anything connected to the output for those speakers, you wouldn't hear anything.

Try going to the Windows sound settings and check that the speaker settings match your actual speaker setup.
philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by philreddog »

I have it set for 2 front speakers only. Its driving me nuts, becuase i can see the audio playing in the Windows audio mixer in the TTD slider.
philreddog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by philreddog »

Problem fixed.

WIN 7 64bit
OPENTTD 1.10.0

No sound or Music

Had to uninstall the game, and reinstall the 32bit V. then reinstall 64bit over the top WITHOUT the 64bit music and sound files in the install. You have to unselect them in the install or the problem will still be there with no sound.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”