Trains not leaving/ signal bug?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DaiZen
Engineer
Engineer

Trains not leaving/ signal bug?

Post by DaiZen »

Yes, the trains are not leaving even thou they are alone, I thought this might be a problem caused by some New GRF, so I unselected all, still not departing, this only happens on closed circuits like the one Im attaching in here, IDK why this happens, this didn't happened in older versions I think this might be a bug with signals
openTTDbug.png
(439.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Trains not leaving/ signal bug?

Post by Eddi »

this is not a bug with signals. you just need more signals.

you have one signal at the exit of the depot (which is redundant, because the depot has a builtin signal). but since this is a path signal, it switches the whole network into path signal mode, which means the train will not move unless it finds a path to a safe waiting point (i.e. another signal), but all possible paths in this network will intersect with the path itself (imagine the pathfinder playing snake. it will lose the game if the snake runs into itself)

so either remove that one signal that you have, or place more signals on the way, and things should start moving
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

A good rule of thumb is to place a path signal after each station platform the train should stop at, and before any branches the train can take, and evenly along straight track.
DaiZen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DaiZen »

Eddi wrote: 16 Jul 2019 08:00 this is not a bug with signals. you just need more signals.

you have one signal at the exit of the depot (which is redundant, because the depot has a builtin signal). but since this is a path signal, it switches the whole network into path signal mode, which means the train will not move unless it finds a path to a safe waiting point (i.e. another signal), but all possible paths in this network will intersect with the path itself (imagine the pathfinder playing snake. it will lose the game if the snake runs into itself)

so either remove that one signal that you have, or place more signals on the way, and things should start moving
Thats something I forgot to write, if I remove the sign it stil doesn't work it even thou the route its for one train only, I found that it only works if I put 3 or more signals
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Going back to your original post, I replicated the problem.

I then removed the signal from the exit/entrance to the depot and the train does not leave, as you posted.
It has been mentioned the the signal in front of the depot is not required but the train will not leave when the signal is removed
but
if you remove the piece of track then replace it, it will allow the train to leave.

I took it a little further and bought another train, so two trains (without orders) took turns to leave the depot and run the circuit back to the depot. NO signals anywhere.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”