Expanding Cities

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

av8tor
Engineer
Engineer

Expanding Cities

Post by av8tor »

Hello all, long time lurker, first-time poster. Apologies if this question has been asked before but couldn't quite find it after having had a look around the huge wealth of information here.

After a while, especially if you leave the game running (either inadvertently or on purpose) your lovely towns and cities continue to expand as the game's requirements to expand the cities are satisfied. What I've found, however, is eventually overtime the city tends to begin to 'decline' in that fewer high-rise buildings are built and despite the city continuing to expand geographically, it becomes less dense in the centre and more spread out. Eventually, most buildings seem to be replaced with fountains, statues, petrol stations (a lot of these for some reason), low-rise offices and flats; with very little in the way of tall buildings remaining.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here in terms of gameplay? Or is the game engineered to do this to sort of fizzle things out to make you give up and start a new game?

I'm using the latest version but to be honest, I've noticed this being the case for years so it makes me think it's "supposed" to happen!

Any explanation as to why it's occurring would be interesting to hear - thanks :)
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Expanding Cities

Post by _dp_ »

What house set are you using? That doesn't happen with default houses.
av8tor
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Expanding Cities

Post by av8tor »

I'm no expert here but one of my GRF Settings is "Total Town Replacement 3.14"

Return to “General OpenTTD”