Summary of desired updates

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

magnato
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

modification

Post by magnato »

pecix wrote:-) I would like to have an option to set my trains load full one after another and not all at the same time like it is now... having 4+ trains loading at the same time only wastes money (for longer transport time ) and results in jams when all trains want to leave the station at the same time..
Good idea, and when there is plenty of resources they could load simultaniously. It is cool when three and three trains leave the stations simultaniously and line up in a 2 or 4 way track. Andwhen there is lack of resources they should load one at a time.
Magnato, Oslo
Skotten
Engineer
Engineer

Re: modification

Post by Skotten »

magnato wrote:
pecix wrote:-) I would like to have an option to set my trains load full one after another and not all at the same time like it is now... having 4+ trains loading at the same time only wastes money (for longer transport time ) and results in jams when all trains want to leave the station at the same time..
Good idea, and when there is plenty of resources they could load simultaniously. It is cool when three and three trains leave the stations simultaniously and line up in a 2 or 4 way track. Andwhen there is lack of resources they should load one at a time.
Or Have leave when other train arrive at station
I mean this was done in one of the earlier games. (Think it was RCT, but not sure)
tokama
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tokama »

I want to have a setting of quater-load and haft load,
just like the options in RCT.

It is useful to prevent the first trains earns so much or earns nothing when the station have few amount of cargo.
Olli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Olli »

If not already suggested:
- Automatic height change (flattening) and clearing of "bends of other own blocking tracks in the way" when building tracks.
- "Yellow Cabs", vehicles that dont need stations, they "like to" wait in a queue line near an airport or a train station and bring passengers home directly.
scrivener
Engineer
Engineer

Post by scrivener »

Something that doesn't seem to have been addressed too much is the user interface, which I think is in need of a few tweaks...

- The loan increase/decrease controls are infuriatingly tiny. Let's have a great big "give me more money" button! :wink:
- Having used the right-click method to initiate track building, there should a button on the construction panel that reverses the direction of the arrow.
- It's already been noted that, for rail, you can't see the catchment area without building two things: rail then station. How this got through QA I'll never know (had they ever played TT?). One way to tackle this (other than reverting to the TT approach) would be to provide a global option to highlight potentially "caught" buildings when laying track.
- Using the existing station catchment area buttons, only one area can be seen at a time. Multiple catchment areas should be viewable together.
- The option to use text for produced/accepted items instead of those poxy icons would be just grand.
- The default route type (Local or Express) should be selectable overall, or for each transport type individually.
- I would concur with all those who have said that it is too easy to destroy buildings "accidentally" (right-clicking, building tram lines, building underground), and there should be an optional warning.
- The bridge type is not sufficiently obvious in some cases; it should be displayed in a hover-over.
- Heights are displayed when appropriate (fine) but then left on longer than necessary, which is an annoyance.
- An obvious enhancement would be the ability to build parallel tracks in one go. The same goes for stations.
- As has also been commented on elsewhere, having to click once or twice for every single bit of rail/road/station is just too tiresome. The ideal basic interface would be click+drag - i.e. "painting" onto the landscape - with the RCT (or TT!) approach available for fine tuning. Seeing as Loco is so obviously a "dumbed down" version of TTDX, I'm surprised this wasn't attempted! :twisted:
Jack_Pokerface
Engineer
Engineer

Sigals

Post by Jack_Pokerface »

I think that the sollution for all signal problems is, that it must be possible to manual program signals. The AI does some of it for you now but it is never how you wane have it. the idea is that you can program the signal to look at other signal. this is very handy at places with a lot of switches. You dont get thet a train go over the switch and then block the entire switch because the next signal is red. At the moment you can do it with a one way signal and that the next signal a double way signal is, but sometimes i have two double way signal and they don't look ahead.
(soory for my bad english)
Xrikcus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xrikcus »

Having signals depend on signals ahead properly would be nice. More important though would be simply having trains book routes through sets of points, such that another oncoming train will also book a route through the points. If the second train's requested route crosses at any point the route of a train that already has a route then it gets a red signal, otherwise not. It wouldn't exactly be difficult to implement and would make points *much* more realistic, so that you could run multiple trains through points simultaneously if they aren't going to collide. This shouldn't need manual programming at all.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with trains trying to go to the same platform of the station, at the moment, that could do with improving. Possibly a mode at a set of points to make them load share if you know that all routes lead to the same destination, rather than relying on the routing (that could also work at track forks to load share down dual tracks. This is a simple form of manual programming which it appears would be adequate, I could be wrong though.
HwAoRrDk
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Summary of desired updates

Post by HwAoRrDk »

Ildefonse wrote:*) Stations should not begin collecting cargo/passengers until there is a service for that cargo running at that station. No need for your rating to drop when you are not even offering a particular service.
This should be switchable, I think. Some people like it, some people don't.
Ildefonse wrote:*) Trains should keep on waiting at red signals and not turn around ever, or the waiting time should be increased, perhaps according to a train's speed. This causes many delays now when slow train turn around.
This would be nice, but not a 'must-have' in my opinion.
Ildefonse wrote:*) Make the initial reliability of vehicles visible when buying them
Yes!! Obviously, as things are at the moment, you do eventually learn that vehicles are less reliable when first introduced, and steadily get more reliable (and then worsen when nearly obsolete), but seeing the exact reliability ratings before purchase would be much better.
Ildefonse wrote:*) Bridges other than stonebridge for sloped tracks
*) Construction of a long straight track (including vertical and horizontal) with "build this" button kept pushed, instead of repeating clicks. Also a shortcut key for "build this".
Most definitely for both!! Especially the latter! That is such a major pain in the arse!! Otherwise, Chris Sawyer will be getting my medical bill for RSI treatment. :P
Ildefonse wrote:*) More realistic turning and movement of aircraft. They tend to abruptly move left-right-left-right while they should only go straight.
This is annoying, but not as bad as some of the issues above. Also, in-flight paths are not very realistic. The plane landing patterns make them look like they are some kind of Harrier jet, they're so steep!
Ildefonse wrote:*) Have some sort of hover query tool that tells you what a certain square will accept/produce. In TTDX you could just hover with a station, now you actually have to build track first.
Yup. A sore omission.
Ildefonse wrote:*) It should not be possible to remove trees and buildings that are hidden just by right clicking.
Yeah, this is quite annoying. If you're building a route into a major city, you always find yourself accidentally demolishing a very large building (office block, etc) by accident, coz you clicked in the wrong place.
Ildefonse wrote:*) Sometimes when the train doesn't fill up the whole station and add one more wagon, it fills up the station nicely but it's actually one pixel too long so it blocks a signal that's right in front and blocks trains going in to the station. It's impossible to see if a train is going to use up he whole station or be too long. Transport Tycoon was better with this where one wagon was half a square.
Obviously, the nature of the game engine precludes the trains from being regular units of length (like in TTD), but I guess a little leeway in the length of trains going past signals would be nice.
Robert Raymond
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Robert Raymond »

Okay, I just got Locomotion and am pretty disappointed at this point. My major gripe - Trains are so darn superior to every form of transport in the game. There is nothing trains cannot do.

I would really like the game more if trains actually didn't do so well on short runs (this could be done with a LONG load time). So, for short runs, trucks should be all over them. But for longer runs, trains should have their superiority.

An aside - I know Chris Sawyer does this all himself, but he's gotta get more playtesters involved. Like, what, it took me ten minutes to find out I couldn't replace dirt roads with paved roads? And that trams are blaintantly better than busses?

It might be back to TTDX for me at this point.

Bluevoss-
Bluevoss-
Sorryaboutthemess
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sorryaboutthemess »

These have probably already been mentioned but:

When two trains are loading the same type of cargo at the same station, the one that got their first should finish loading before the second one starts unless the production is very high.

I got so incredibly fed up spending my time replacing my trains that I just downloaded the no-breakdowns mod. First of all, decrease the rate at which reliability decreases and make it easier to replace trains, engines AND wagons independently or at the same time. At the very least, they should be two buttons next to each train, one to replace all the wagons and one for the engine.

Make a super wide turn for those Electra Star lines. They have to slow down to 101 mph, which is just above half their max speed and slows them down a lot. This is unrealistic as well as annoying.

If you’re trying to delete something, like a train station or bus stop, you shouldn’t have to go through the buildings that are blocking your view. I keep deleting buildings I don't want to, paying for it, and losing some of my passengers.
You mess with the mess, you die like the rest
mBiT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mBiT »

Hello,

Dont know if it was already mentioned, but, in the RCT there was weather changes, sun, thunder, rain...
Since the engine is the same, couldn't it be applyed to locomotion also?

Oh, and make all windows resizable
MacNetron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MacNetron »

Make sure then that the weather option can be turned off. I don't think my AMD-700 likes the idea of doing the weather too... 8)
"Sir! The people! They can't help falling in love with you!" - Civilization 2, Luxury Advisor
Aivo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Aivo »

i would like to see more sci-fi vechiles in game. i havent played this game long but it seemed like after year 2000 there was no big improvement. even at year 2100 you had to use like 100 year old buses
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

* ) smart signals, if there is a crossing, account for fact if coming from opposite directions in 2 rails next to each other and 2 trains coming from opposite directions, diffrent rails that will they hit each other, if not let both pass instead of making the other train wait at signal.

[EDIT]This Screenshot tells it nicely how i want it http://www.tt-forums.net//files/suggestion.png ,thanks Tokama for the shot[EDIT]
Last edited by Villem on 11 Nov 2004 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Seriphyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seriphyn »

Robert Raymond wrote:Okay, I just got Locomotion and am pretty disappointed at this point. My major gripe - Trains are so darn superior to every form of transport in the game. There is nothing trains cannot do.
To me, the aircraft are the best paying ones, like in the original TT.

Ok a suggestion.

Next expansion pack can be a future one, like 'Time Twister' for RCT. as well as fixing the gripes in it. but make the planes stay realistic, i remember the ones in TTD. one had like two globes on the top of its hull. that was a weird one.

SUGGESTION
Industries should upgrade over time. The cooling towers in 1900 made no sense. The metal steel mill in 2000 just doesn't seem right. The power plant before 1950 can just look similair to factory, while after 1950 it switches to the current one it is now.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

* ) add new order in vehicles:Transfer, this order will transfer the cargo from the vehicle to the station, but it doesn't unload them so you get money,instead it loads it on the station and the cargo will wait to be picked up by another form of transportation(more realism,i want to take the goods to city by train, then let trucks load it and distribute it along the city)
Roger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roger »

I think the biggest need, as far as an expansion pack is concerned, is to have more landscapes. Adding a few new locos is nice, but not hugely significant. Having a whole new region has much more effect on the lasting power of the game.

I really miss the Latin American region from TTDX, and I'd like a few more, such as a Far Eastern setting and an Arabian one, to name but two.
Hack
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hack »

Akalamanaia wrote:* ) add new order in vehicles:Transfer, this order will transfer the cargo from the vehicle to the station, but it doesn't unload them so you get money,instead it loads it on the station and the cargo will wait to be picked up by another form of transportation(more realism,i want to take the goods to city by train, then let trucks load it and distribute it along the city)
I thought you could already do this by forcing an unload at a station?
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Hack wrote:
Akalamanaia wrote:* ) add new order in vehicles:Transfer, this order will transfer the cargo from the vehicle to the station, but it doesn't unload them so you get money,instead it loads it on the station and the cargo will wait to be picked up by another form of transportation(more realism,i want to take the goods to city by train, then let trucks load it and distribute it along the city)
I thought you could already do this by forcing an unload at a station?
Not inside a city that accepts goods, the train will unload anyway and get the profit, trucks just keep waiting and waiting for cargo they never will get. And sometimes cities can expand right next to the feeder station
spiff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by spiff »

Why has CS programmed annoying limits ?
If I want to remove a road, then so be it, after all I've built it
But no, the city doesn't allow me to use roads in use
I hate limits like this, if only he would remove them :roll:

Btw. ildefonse, are you still compiling all these wishes :?

Return to “General Locomotion”