IE Zealotry

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

ThorRune wrote:The ammount of computer users is skyrocketing, and newbies uses IE or safari.
Newbies use Safari? There area lot of Mac users, who are beyond being called newbies, who prefer Safari over FF because it's far more polished and works much better with other programs on OS X.

Doesn't actually invalidate your point though, most MacOS newbies do use Safari but so do a lot of the other users.
Get Skype and call me for free.
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

It's a sign of trolling that the troll in question ignores arguments he can't win and skips on to something new, or tries to slice and spin an argument to say something completely different.

I'll tell you what, that phpBBIgnore extension on the first page is f*** awesome. Doesn't work in the reply preview though... Oh well. Time for ze bed.
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

Archonix wrote:It's a sign of trolling that the troll in question ignores arguments he can't win and skips on to something new, or tries to slice and spin an argument to say something completely different.
Just out of curiosity, which people were you accusing of trolling? ;)
Get Skype and call me for free.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

oliciv wrote:
As for FF patches breaking things... for one thing, all it can possibly break is stuff within Firefox
Not at all. firefox.exe has access to anything iexplore.exe has access to - they may put a lot of effort in to making sure it doesn't do anything bad, but it is still very possible.
Actually the fact that most of the libraries that IE uses are pre-loaded when windows starts-up is one thing that might go against that argument. And don't use the memory footprint for this same reason. Bloatware power!
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

oliciv wrote:
ThorRune wrote: I *think* there is something you don't understand about voulenteer work.
Open source does not mean volenteer, or free.
Precisly, Novell for instance picked up some of the best Open Source, nay, in general, programmers in the industry a while back and have been crafting wonders, Nat Friedman and Miguel de Icaza. And they are on quite decent pay. But they still, even though they are a commercial company, still make volunteer contributions to the projects that their work is based on.

Also, Microsoft knows that the open source world has quality programmers, why else would they recruit a Gentoo architect and try to recruit another fella known as Microsofts worst nightmare**?

**A guy who single-handedly sold open source to Wall-street and the mainstreem business world, Eric Raymond. Interesting read found here
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

this thread sucks.

I use FireFox. Tabbed browsing and adblock I can't do without.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Opera :P
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

I like Opera. It's great on mobile phones. :)
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Opera :P
wise choice :wink: :P
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Born Acorn wrote:I use FireFox. Tabbed browsing ... I can't do without.
Then why use Firefox? It doesn't even work properly out of the box.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Steve wrote:
Born Acorn wrote:I use FireFox. Tabbed browsing ... I can't do without.
Then why use Firefox? It doesn't even work properly out of the box.
It does since 1.0.3 :roll:
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

You don't know what's proper tab browsing until you've used Opera for a while (which, incidentally, invented and perfected tabbed browsing before Firefox was split off from Mozilla).
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Patchman wrote:You don't know what's proper tab browsing until you've used Opera for a while (which, incidentally, invented and perfected tabbed browsing before Firefox was split off from Mozilla).
It works good enough for me. It opens "_blank" in new tabs and javascripts on new windows and with adblock it still blocks virtually every add I ever seen so I don't see the need to switch to opera. I like to keep the interface to a minimum and opera has an interface larger than that of IE :?
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Dextro wrote:I like to keep the interface to a minimum and opera has an interface larger than that of IE :?
You can have it as big or small as you want.
Here's a coule of examples of different setups (the second is the way I have it).
Attachments
opera2.png
opera2.png (81.49 KiB) Viewed 591 times
opera1.png
opera1.png (36.05 KiB) Viewed 580 times
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

DominionSpy wrote:
Dextro wrote:I like to keep the interface to a minimum and opera has an interface larger than that of IE :?
Here's a coule of examples of different setups (the second is the way I have it).
what about the banner ads? :roll:

Yet I stand correted about the size issue... I still think opera is a bit bloated though :?
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Dextro wrote:
DominionSpy wrote:
what about the banner ads? :roll:
What about them? If you buy it (or happened to get on of the 3 million free licenses given out a few days ago), then no banner ads. But if you want to see what it can look like with them, see attachment.
Attachments
opera3.png
opera3.png (128.95 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Dextro wrote:It works good enough for me. It opens "_blank" in new tabs and javascripts on new windows and with adblock it still blocks virtually every add I ever seen so I don't see the need to switch to opera. I like to keep the interface to a minimum and opera has an interface larger than that of IE :?
I like firefox... I don't go arrond praysing the way it was coded since I'm no programer and I don't know if the code is good or bad but I do know it has a good W3C standart compliance (much better than IE yet not as good as Opera I have to admit) and I really like the fact the whole browser is made on the KISS principle (see signature). I like to have my browser as simple as possible even though I use quite a few extensions.

I've known Opera way before Firefox you I don't like using it. I just don't fell as confortable using it as I feel using firefox. And the fact that firefox has a much lower usercount than IE still renders it a bit more secure :)

It's a mather of personal choise chosing either Opera or Firefox (or any other for that mather) yet IE is without a doubt the worst mainstream browser out there! (considering a browser is meant to present webpages, something IE only does right when the pages use the code Microsoft would like to be standart :evil: )
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Dextro wrote:It's a mather of personal choise chosing either Opera or Firefox (or any other for that mather)
I completely agree with you there :D.
Dextro wrote:yet IE is without a doubt the worst mainstream browser out there! (considering a browser is meant to present webpages, something IE only does right when the pages use the code Microsoft would like to be standart :evil: )
That's partly because of the history of the browser wars. I think it actually started with Netscape Navigator.

Plus Cascading Style Sheets was originally a Microsoft idea that the W3C accepted as a standard.
oliciv
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by oliciv »

Dextro wrote:what about the banner ads? :roll:
If you don't like them, pay to remove them.
oliciv
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by oliciv »

DominionSpy wrote: Plus Cascading Style Sheets was originally a Microsoft idea that the W3C accepted as a standard.
How dare you suggest that! Microsoft are an evil company that want nothing more than to destroy the internet!

Return to “Off-Topic”