TT2 !! Why can't we make our own?

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

You guys all have too much time damn... I cannot read this all.. whehe schoolwork to do

I see some good remarks about war3 indeed !!

and whats that stuff about C++ not working for making a game multiplatform..

I think its THE multiplatform language...
Never fear, I is here...
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I'm in shock too :D :shock: ...
btw .. my program in C++ is running at each Windows (without 3.1) ..........
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

ChrisCF wrote:IMO, Java is *the* only way to go if you want the game to run on multiple platforms.
No offense, but that is a load of twaddle.

Simply write your own generic routines, and have a system layer underneath that that calls the appropriate routines for the system! Or use a cross-platform library such as Allegro. Allegro games (unless you use OS-specific calls) work fine under a number of platforms, including DOS, Windows, Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, BeOS and more. There is also an AllegroGL OpenGL extension library for Allegro.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

If you guys are going to make a TT2, then maybe it would be a good idea to create a sub-forum for it, with threads for every subject on TT2, like one for the engine, one for the graphics, one for the different vehicles etc.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Nice idea ... there will be many, many posts about creating TT2
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Including one from Chris Sawyer saying you have to give it another name :P
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Anyways we can name it TT2 not Transport Tycoon 2 :D
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Transport master
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Yeah .. I know .. TM ... but the name is the most non-important thing ... First is engine ... rein started to work on it ... we will see ... he wants to create 2D graphics but like in Industry Giant 2 ....
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

orudge wrote:Simply write your own generic routines, and have a system layer underneath that that calls the appropriate routines for the system!
So at least part of the code would have to be different for varying operating system. Which is what I said in the first place ;-)
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Hellfire

Let's put some life back into this discussion.

Post by Hellfire »

I played TTO a few years ago, and a week ago, a friend showed me the Win95 version of TTD, with Windows XP patch ofcourse. I'm so addicted again... :oops:

But the very same idea came up to me too: can't we make our own version of "TT2"?

I'm a semi-professional programmer (actually, I'm a computer science student, and I write programs for companies on a freelance base), and I've written some pieces of games before.

Here are some advices:

:arrow: Use C++. Nothing else
:arrow: Multiplatform issues apply only to the user interface. All the other parts can be written using ANSI C++ routines, which are platform independent.
:arrow: If you want a game for more than one platform, use OpenGL or some other portable graphics system for the UI.
:arrow: 3D hardware is getting better every day. Do you want to support obsolete hardware? Or do you want a nice looking game?
:arrow: I really like Adam K.'s idea's about equilateral triangles. I'll be home in about 3 hours from now, and I'll show y'all why. (I'm at school right now, and I don't have a 3d editor on my laptop)
:arrow: Use XML or INI style textfiles for all user editable data. It's easier to use a texteditor in the designphases.

But the most important part remains: make decisions! Do not talk about little things for weeks. It won't get you anywhere. I've just read this discussion, and after more than a month, there still hasn't been a decision whether to use a 2D or 3D engine.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

First .. Hi :D ...
Then... yes we were talking about TT2 .. but it will be very hard work .. you know .. everythig must be done from begining ... (cuz we don't have TT/TTD source) ..
all of us agree that should be C++ and the best way to display it will be OpenGl (cuz the fastest and the best quality) ... and about 2D/3D .. many of us were discussing it .. In my opinion TT2 should be nearly the same of TTD but without any limits and with full user configuration ... stored in INI files (they are very easy to edit)
If you have any experience in creating games in C++ please send me PM or E-Mail and I will speak with you ...
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:First .. Hi :D ...
Then... yes we were talking about TT2 .. but it will be very hard work ..

[...]

If you have any experience in creating games in C++ please send me PM or E-Mail and I will speak with you ...
Why not discuss it in public? I'm working on a transport sim ( http://www.simutrans.de ) by myself. I mean I probaly won't be able to help you much because I'm busy with my own project but I'm terribly curious how you'll implement yours :)

Of course if you want advice I'll be glad to help. Simutrans is closed source because I think the project works better that way. Don't ask me to change it. But there are no secrets, you can ask me any time how this or that is done in Simutrans. I think it's important to exchange knowledge.

Rein already contacted me via a PM, he had some questions about map datstructures and pathfinding of vehicles. I answered in a PM. But if we all do it in private messages the knowledge doesn't spread.

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

maybe it would be better to create 'Transport Tycoon 2' section on TT-Forums.NET
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

This would probably be very usefull. I'm typing a message for rein right now, but most of the discussions should be done in a (maybe closed?) forum.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

it don't have to be closed ... you know ... topic: AI ... Vehicles .. and others ... and what all you think that we need only TTD (the same) but without limits and with fully user configuration ??? I think that it is the best idea ... the same we love ... but more playble/user-friendly
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Ok maybe not closed, but with enough moderators, to filter out all the useless posts (like some worshipping posts on page 2 of this topic).
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:it don't have to be closed ... you know ... topic: AI ... Vehicles .. and others ... and what all you think that we need only TTD (the same) but without limits and with fully user configuration ??? I think that it is the best idea ... the same we love ... but more playble/user-friendly
I'd prefer a open forum, too. I think getting suggestions for improvments is very easy. The hard part is implementing the ideas.

c.u.
Hajo
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

If you need my support getting your forum, you got it
Just contact Owen or/and Omni
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

I can't see there been enough support to have a TT2 forum. Unless you can prove otherwise I don't see the need.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”