Patch: Modifiable Air crash rates

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Patch: Modifiable Air crash rates

Post by RainierWatcher »

Bilbo wrote:Well, seems that the patch is over 6 months old and won't work with current trunk. Someone have to update the patch for newest trunk. Perhaps the original patch author?
Quite frankly, feel free to make a better one. I may have a look at making a better one, configurable with the difficulty level, with hard being the current rate, but again, feel free to do it. If you look at my patch, it's possibly the worst C ever, since I mainly taught myself for that patch. So if someone wants to make a new one, feel free.
Ways of Preventing Death:
* Don't breathe air. Seriously. Everyone born before 1870 breathed the substance at some point in their life and every one of them is dead today. A coincidence? I think not.
Taken from uncyclopedia
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Well, old does not mean bad. Old merely means that the source have to be modified to be applyable to current trunk. As for the new patch - there is newgrf_ports branch, which will bring in new ways to create your own airport and add some parameters to the airplanes too, like minimal length of runway needed for takeoff/landing. Therefore I think the crash rates would bet reworked (the longer is the runway reserve, the less likely would the crash be) - and if the crash rates would get fixed again, I guess then add some patch to make it modifiable (and perhaps stick it into the difficulty screen (Aircraft crashes: None, Reduced, Normal, Increased))
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Digitalfox wrote:Julio BuildOTTD is for using on windows and building windows builds.. So it won't work on MAC..

Also i asked an update to one of the authors because this patch is based on old source code ( almost 2000 revisions old ), even if I compile the build, the patch uses a very old build of Openttd..

Your best shot is that some Mac user ( there are several Mac users that play open and even some are a part of the development of OpenTTD ) reads this topic and post a compiled Mac build..

Hope this info helps you.. Also since we speak the same language and you may have some problems understanding English, you can always send me a private message and i'll explain and help in your doubts..
Thanks, let's see if I have that kind of luck :)

I didn't notice before, you're also portuguese. Thanks, although I'm kind of (way too) rusty writing in English I understand it very well. But I'll PM you since I still know few portuguese people who play this. :P
dante
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dante »

this is a hell of a good patch! i hate it whan all of my ficking planes crashes all the time. i hope (hint hint) it will be integrated in the next OTTD patch that will be released.

i tryed applying this patch, but won;t get it to work with useing buildttd. i already have 1 patch (the now new industry patch) applyed. maybe this gets me the errors.

wich there was a way to fix this so i can also start using airplanes in my games wich i aint at the moment becouse of all the crashed :?
andrewas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andrewas »

Once again, BuildOTTD is not intended to allow multiple patches. Go to the wiki and learn to use cygwin or another proper compile tool, or politely request the BuildOTTD developers allow multiple patces to be applied at the users risk.
wozzar
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by wozzar »

andrewas wrote:Once again, BuildOTTD is not intended to allow multiple patches. Go to the wiki and learn to use cygwin or another proper compile tool, or politely request the BuildOTTD developers allow multiple patces to be applied at the users risk.
Do you edit the files with cygwin.
dante
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dante »

well i tryed some advise somone told me.

that was edit one with Notepad++ and just cpy paste the one into the other.

i tryded that and run build ttd again. but got error so it won't work :s :cry:

why can't i get it too work :cry: too much of a noob in patching/compiling :roll: ?(
andrewas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andrewas »

wozzar wrote: Do you edit the files with cygwin.
Easiest way to think of Cygwin is as a virtual PC you run on your own PC, running a customized version of Linux development tools which are set up to produce windows binaries. Most of this is drastically oversimplified, but you get the general idea.

I personally only run cygwin for the actual compilation, I use Context for actually editing the files, but Im sure Cygwin provides an equally useful text editor.

@dante - what errors do you get? Could be a conflicting patch, in which case you are not going to get it to work by simply concatenating the patch files, you would need to rewrite them to resolve the conflicts. As for being too much of a noob - we were all noobs to begin with, the difference is that we've run into this kind of problem before and know how to fix it. Theres no magic, you dont need to be anything special to learn this, you just need to set your mind to it.
dante
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dante »

i won't give up :P just want it to work:P

i use build ttd and get the simple error: patch failed.

nothing more.

there are the too i try to merge, or apply separete:
Attachments
norandom_new.diff
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
modifiableplanecrashesv3.patch
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
andrewas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andrewas »

BuildOTTD hides the actual errors away from you. You might try looking in buildottd/msys/home/ottsrc/trunk/src for .rej files, which detail which parts of the patch failed, which may allow you to apply the patch manually. Then, you will have to invoke the compiler by hand since BuildOTTD, as I may have mentioned, actively works against the user making manual modifications to the source and will revert the code to the orignal version.

To do this, execute msys.bat in buildottd/msys, then type the following commands:

cd ../ottdsrc/trunk
./configure
make

There will be a lot of text output, most of which you can learn to interpret if you google enough. For this, the important output is errors from the compiler or linker, both of which will be run when you run the make program. Ignore the warnings, there are some harmless ones resulting from the trunk code itself.

If you do get errors, then try and resolve them yourself. Google is a powerful tool. Start from the topmost error - these things tend to cascade, and often later errors are a result of the compiler getting confused by something as simple as a missing semicolon. It would be wise to spend at least a little time with a c++ tutorial, at least enough that you recognize what valid c++ looks like.
dante
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dante »

this was the error i got:

Code: Select all

*** 730,738 ****
  	CheckIfAircraftNeedsService(v);

if (v->vehstatus & VS_STOPPED) return;

- 	CommandCost cost = CommandCost(GetVehicleProperty(v, 0x0E, AircraftVehInfo(v->engine_type)->running_cost) * _price.aircraft_running / 364);
- 
  	v->profit_this_year -= cost.GetCost() >> 8;

SET_EXPENSES_TYPE(EXPENSES_AIRCRAFT_RUN);
--- 730,739 ----
  	CheckIfAircraftNeedsService(v);

if (v->vehstatus & VS_STOPPED) return;
+ 	
+ 	/* running costs */
+ 	CommandCost cost(v->GetRunningCost() * VehRunCostFactor() / 364);

v->profit_this_year -= cost.GetCost() >> 8;

SET_EXPENSES_TYPE(EXPENSES_AIRCRAFT_RUN);
andrewas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andrewas »

OK, thats a .rej file, not an error. Its a part of the patch that could not be applied. I guess its from aircraft_cmd.cpp, but the name of the file you got it from will tell you for sure. The first block is the original file, and tells patch to remove the lines marked witha '-'. The second block is the new version, and tells patch to add the lines marked with a '+'.

The problem is that the crash rates patch seems to have modified the same file. Again at a guess, it changes the CheckIfAircraftNeedsService() call, meaning that patch can never find the correct context to make the changes in. Load up that file in any decent text editor and see if you can find the original code, and make the changes by hand.

Any other .rej files can be handled similarly, and then run the compiler as described in my last post.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”