Another Daylength patch

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Another Daylength patch

Post by FLHerne »

Arie- wrote:Wow, you do know how to apply a patch and compile, but seriously have no idea what you are doing. Of course the executable with the patch applied is going to desync from 1.3.0. You could try to read this Wiki page.
He might mean that he gets desyncs in multiplayer between two executables with this patch applied?
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
tamat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tamat »

yep, thanks FLHerne for making the right guess, I do test it with the same binaries. Come on, I've been coding my whole live. I'm not a random newbie.
Just wanted to know if somebody managed to do it with the latest trunk version, that is all.
yep, I'm Spanish
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Sorry, my bad then. If nobody has further improved this patch the same problems might still exist, unless the problems you previously experienced came from trunk (stable?). At least I can't help you, good luck :).
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Just a rather simple question...
I don't believe anyone develops a patch or applies it for himself, without creating a working executable version.
So my question is: Can't you upload the executable version along with the patch files?

I tried to apply the patch myself (following the Wiki-Guide), but both MS VS 2012 and 2010 just keep throwing me errors...

Regards, Brokken
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

I could give you Ubuntu binaries, but you probably don't want them. :P
On a more serious note: Please tell us what your compiler complains about. Without that info nobody can fix it.
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Even though the Wiki Guide claims it has been tested on Windows 8 64 bits, it doesn't work for me.
VS 2012 opens the project file, but in the Solution Explorer it says (incompatible)
VS 2010 see the following...

The Wiki Guide has the following steps, that I can't apply to the project

2.4 A popup will ask you to update the compiler settings, click Update button.
--> There was no popup

When compiling for release, it says about 17 times
>d:\programs\svn\svn\openttd\trunk\src\language.h(17): fatal error C1083: "unicode/coll.h": No such file or directory

In the folders, the files exist, but without the (XX) behind them... I have no clue what that means, though.
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Oh, I forgot to mention, I didn't even get as far as applying the patch.
The Errors come from plain OpenTTD
tamat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tamat »

I suggest to compile using MinGW, it is more friendly than VS, use this guide: http://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_Wi ... sing_MinGW
yep, I'm Spanish
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

OK, I now used MinGW and followed all steps, I got two errors concerning the settings_gui
here is the settings_gui.cpp.rej content. I'm still looking where to place the content, since I figure that's all it takes.

--- src/settings_gui.cpp
(revision 24599)
+++ src/settings_gui.cpp
(working copy)
@@ -1588,6 +1589,7 @@
SettingEntry("economy.smooth_economy"),
SettingEntry("economy.feeder_payment_share"),
SettingEntry("economy.infrastructure_maintenance"),
+ SettingEntry("economy.day_length_factor"),
};

/** Economy sub-page */
static SettingsPage _settings_economy_page = {_settings_economy, lengthof(_settings_economy)};
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Ok, so I entered it at the end of the following block

Code: Select all

static SettingEntry _settings_economy[] = {
(...)
	SettingEntry("difficulty.disasters"),
            <this is where>
};
but opening advanced settings ingame causes my next post
Last edited by Brokken on 26 Jun 2013 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Getting the same error as him... except Line 845. don't know what his Solution two posts later is supposed to be. Can anyone tell me?
Gremnon wrote:Crash when trying to open Advanced Settings, compiled with this patch only against r24623
Assertion failed at line 1090 of daylength/src/settings_gui.cpp:
this->d.entry.setting != NULL
btw I'm using:
MinGW on Win8x64
the latest trunk
tdl r24599.patch
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Brokken wrote:the latest trunk
tdl r24599.patch
Use r24599, as specified in patch filename. Or wait for patch update.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Ok, I guess I could have thought of that... But I didn't, so thank you very much, it seems to be working now
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

Brokken wrote:Just a rather simple question...I don't believe anyone develops a patch or applies it for himself, without creating a working executable version.
The first version of this patch I have on my computer is r20153. There I definitely had a nice working executable and it might even be somewhere here in the topic. Over the time as I only update the patch I compile without optimizations which means that I can test the version, but it is completely unplayable and that's the reason I don't upload such a version here as I often just test if I can actually

Nevertheless here is the update also with the executable. I'm sorry that the executable is saved on a server like that but upload here did not work.

Working build: http://ulozto.net/xQLnYswJ/ottd-r25493- ... length-zip
Attachments
true_day_length_r25493.patch
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Brokken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brokken »

Thank you very much
starscr3am
Engineer
Engineer

Post by starscr3am »

Well Pavel, you just mad my day! I waited months for a new day lenght patch! Thank you so much.
Djohaal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Djohaal »

From what I gathered reading this thread, when you increase the duration of year -all- the game simulation variables get streched to match, what means factories produce much more slowly right?

One thing I'm experience while playing this patch is that my convoys spend the greater portion of (real) time sitting on stations waiting for goods to pile up since production is much slower. While the passing of years change is acceptable and makes the game far more enjoyable, a great portion of that time is spent waiting for things to actually happen.

Did you consider making the overall timeline progression slower while keeping the industry productivty rates (when compared to real time) higher? To compensate that income is processed faster, all expenses should also be raised accordingly. That's the solution used by simutrans, when you raise their "bits per month" variable (which determines the lenght of a month), all the variables get multiplied by the altered coefficient, except the speed of your trains, so when you, say, increase the month duration x4, all your trains can do four times more hauls in the month. They offest that by also multiplying all the expenses by the lenght factor.

I'm not sure if what I'm suggesting is just too complicated and wouldn't be feasible to implement tho it seems that was already done and royally broke GRFs. :oops:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

some daylength patches had a setting for that
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

Djohaal: Yes, I considered that and from the very beginning and it was actually my plan. To slow down years by lets say 20 times and slow down production by 5 times.

First of all, when I coped with NewGRF compatibility, I noticed, that multiplying just ticks per day breaks NewGRFs. With this helped me George, the author of ECS. I found that I would have to change all callback times and that was just not good approach for me. So I am now skipping tick incrementation.

With the ordinary day length patch approach, the productions are the same so I wanted to lower the industry production. If you look at my first approach, I already implemented that, but it works only for non-NewGRFs, which is not really usable.

So now, the production is slow and I see only two possible approaches for it to get multiplied. First, create a day length patchvar for the NewGRFs to cope with day length modification. Second, simply multiply all productions, including callback(s), but for NewGRFs, keep track of original productions as well, because you have to provide to them the unmodified numbers or you will break them. *

Both of these approaches are more or less for different patch, simply "Multiply production" which would be used with conjunction with day length. For myself, I altered station ratings so I am not punished for train not waiting 24/7 in the station, and thus I am happy without the multiplying production.

edit: * But only for primary industries, secondary should be left unmodified.
Djohaal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Djohaal »

Yeah that is a difficult issue to tackle. SpComb's pack (which I beleive eddi is mantaining now) seems to alter the production rates, am I right?
Thanks for the attention :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”