Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

My pleasure...

Mind you, this is still not complete, and I'm expecting to get bug reports.

It would be best if someone could find that todolist I posted long time ago, and posted the latest bugs in it. It's quite unpleasant to copypaste the bugreports from various posts ;)
Image please use email instead of PM
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

wow, looks incredible... i started off a small game in 1960, and the amount of material to choose from was astonishing. :)

note: if you accidentally enable MB's cargoset, it'll change the caboose (or whatever you call it) to a cooler wagon, even in 1922.

[edit] and yes, i know it's just a preview grf, but shouldn't the grass/trees and stations (if there are some, like that Shikansen) be included?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Note that I have not yet tried the most recent file, so my info may be slightly out-of-date.

There are actually two separate files for the set, one with just the trains, and one with the buildings, scenery, and Japanese town names. The buildings one wasn't posted just now, but it's back a few pages. It's mostly OK although there are still a few bugs with it - e.g. the banks appear wrong, the castles behave as coal mines (really - they have mine collapses, increase/decrease production, and close down), and you get the really big buildings way too early so the towns are way too large. But otherwise it's pretty good. I think also it's missing some matching tunnel portals.

The set is designed to start in 1921, and you'd have fewer trains then. I don't know if we are using early-retirement code yet (we do need to), so maybe that's why you have so many locos available.

Only two stations have been drawn, one Shinkansen, and one suburban passenger, and AFAIK they haven't been coded. The idea was to have a Japanese stations set, but there's only just the two so far. Does GRFMaker do stations?

Glad you like the set!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

krtaylor wrote:There are actually two separate files for the set, one with just the trains, and one with the buildings, scenery, and Japanese town names. The buildings one wasn't posted just now, but it's back a few pages. It's mostly OK although there are still a few bugs with it - e.g. the banks appear wrong, the castles behave as coal mines (really - they have mine collapses, increase/decrease production, and close down), and you get the really big buildings way too early so the towns are way too large. But otherwise it's pretty good. I think also it's missing some matching tunnel portals.
Yes, that's the case, and it wasn't fixed yet, so I didn't repost the scenery grf.
I think it's a better solution, to leave the scenery in a separate file altogether.
krtaylor wrote:The set is designed to start in 1921, and you'd have fewer trains then. I don't know if we are using early-retirement code yet (we do need to), so maybe that's why you have so many locos available.
No early retirement yet. And it won't get used until the persistenengines is fixed. OTOH did anyone post the early retirement dates?
krtaylor wrote:Only two stations have been drawn, one Shinkansen, and one suburban passenger, and AFAIK they haven't been coded. The idea was to have a Japanese stations set, but there's only just the two so far. Does GRFMaker do stations?
Of course, it does. What do you think Aegir codes the P:GS with? ;)
Image please use email instead of PM
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Szappy wrote:
krtaylor wrote:Only two stations have been drawn, one Shinkansen, and one suburban passenger, and AFAIK they haven't been coded. The idea was to have a Japanese stations set, but there's only just the two so far. Does GRFMaker do stations?
Of course, it does. What do you think Aegir codes the P:GS with? ;)
Three were drawn. Shinkansen. Suburban in two variaties, and the harbor sprites. which had a definate japanese feel to them with the warehouse sprites.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out somthing that I have said over and over again, Szappy. There I was thinking everyone had understood by now...
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Szappy wrote:I think it's a better solution, to leave the scenery in a separate file altogether.
I agree.
Szappy wrote:No early retirement yet. And it won't get used until the persistenengines is fixed. OTOH did anyone post the early retirement dates?
Patchman has said it's been fixed I think, several times, but it keeps getting broken again. I don't know it's current status. Does it still not work right with the most recent alpha?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

that shinkansen station, are you talking about mine or someone elses? because if it's mine, the coding is done ( I released it as a seperate grf) but teh graphics need some work... the station is too bright and monotonous. If someone with some time and skills want to attack it and make it more interesting, go right ahead :)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Korenn wrote:that shinkansen station, are you talking about mine or someone elses? because if it's mine, the coding is done ( I released it as a seperate grf) but teh graphics need some work... the station is too bright and monotonous. If someone with some time and skills want to attack it and make it more interesting, go right ahead :)
yes, i meant that one, it looked really good imo. no need changing it, really.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I like it fine just the way I last saw it. So, maybe we could at least have those three stations coded to start off the Japanese Stations set?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Indeed, the Shinkansen station was really good. But we can add more detail to it. Ok, if you give me a week, I can have them ready to go. Szappy, do you think that you could code them after a week and have a test release? The harbor has been released since so long ago... and now that irregular stations are possible, we will be able to build some neat ones 8)

just one week...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, so we'd have 3 Japan stations. Do we have any ideas about drawing any more?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I began drawing one historic station, but at that moment the support for irregular stations and non-track tiles wasn't enabled, so I left it.
But that one is not to come soon...
At the moment, I'm not going to work too much on the Japan set unless I see there's progress in the coding. I'm only going to add fixes to the shinkansen station and gather a bug report and post it here for szappy
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

krtaylor wrote:
Szappy wrote:No early retirement yet. And it won't get used until the persistenengines is fixed. OTOH did anyone post the early retirement dates?
Patchman has said it's been fixed I think, several times, but it keeps getting broken again. I don't know it's current status. Does it still not work right with the most recent alpha?
Persistent engines remain borked in a62f with the two sets that use early retirement.

(You just knew I'd be the one to keeps tabs on that, huh? ;) )
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, probably better report it in the alpha discussion thread. :?
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

Patchman is aware of the problem, but it appears a lowish priority (with all the other sexy stuff going on, that's understandable) and an awkward sod to fix once and for all. (A persistent problem, neh?) :)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Okay, I've been talking with Szappy on IRC, and we've agreed that I can take over coding the scenery .grf. I've already coded the commercial offices and shops, the big buildings. I am now onto working on the houses and smaller commercial buildings. Last up are the castles/temples and the baseball stadium. Following that, I want to update my landscape replacer, and add the trees.

Sanchimaru, I'll need the correct names for all the buildings in Romaji, if TTD had UTF-8 support than Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana would be really really neat, even if only a few people could understand it.

Also, redirect all pm's with spritesets for the Japanset scenery to me now instead of Szappy. Szappy is going to send me all the sprites that he has around, and I'll get to work on coding them.

I look forward to creating some quality work with you guys. And heck, I might just get around to coding those Japanese stations, now that it has a much higher priority :D.

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

It's great to have you onboard, bud 8) Thanks to Szappy for all the support!
I hope you can help us now with the stations too? Man, the harbor has been ready for so long, and now that irregular stations became possible (thanks to you, am I wrong?) it would be neat to have those cranes...

I'm going to check out the tracking table, and tell you the name of all the buildings if some is not correct.
Also, the last file I tested had buildings overporducing passengers and mail, we will have to adjust that. But that will come after we test your first release, don't bother about that at the moment...

Ask me any doubt or problem you might find about the sprites.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Sanchimaru wrote:It's great to have you onboard, bud 8) Thanks to Szappy for all the support!
I hope you can help us now with the stations too? Man, the harbor has been ready for so long, and now that irregular stations became possible (thanks to you, am I wrong?) it would be neat to have those cranes...

I'm going to check out the tracking table, and tell you the name of all the buildings if some is not correct.
Also, the last file I tested had buildings overporducing passengers and mail, we will have to adjust that. But that will come after we test your first release, don't bother about that at the moment...

Ask me any doubt or problem you might find about the sprites.
Cheers! What would be more usefull though, is if you could collect all the sprites you have drawn (Tracking tables always miss one or two every now and again, for instance, a lot of the skyrise buildings arent on there, and there are some that arent finished), in a table, with the name in romaji, and the introductory date? Also a name in english would help me decide what it should be when deciding stats/substitution for the buildings.

I know thats a fair bit of work, heck, it took me over an hour to organized all the sprites I could find into new sprite-sheets for coding, but this would really really help. :).

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If there are things wrong with the tracking table, please say so so I can fix it.

Also, in the latest buildings GRF, the castles act like coal mines - buggy new-industries implementation?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

krtaylor wrote:If there are things wrong with the tracking table, please say so so I can fix it.
I wouldnt do that at the moment, there are lots of graphics flying around, I dont know which ones are current, which ones are no longer to be used or anything. I'm coding everything I can get my hands on. I'm still waiting for Szappy to send me all the sprites he had laying around.
Also, in the latest buildings GRF, the castles act like coal mines - buggy new-industries implementation?
I'm not working with Szappy's original source, I'm starting anew with my own code.

Edit:
@Sanchimaru: Okay, I got your PM, and I've been reading through, one problem though is that your .txt lists a lot of buildings that you did not send me the graphics for. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what a lot of these graphics that I already have are. For now I will use Western names for most things until this can be cleared up.

Return to “Graphics Development”