city growing

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sss
Engineer
Engineer

Re: city growing

Post by sss »

ETC Enterprises wrote:I have a game going currently that has one city with a 2,000,000 population and a second with 1,300,000+. total population is 10.6 million.
Uhh
any GRF's or somthing?
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

sss wrote:Uhh
any GRF's or somthing?
They are not necessary for this town size. However, a number significant over 2.5 millions would require something new.
See my town stuff collection for details. Growing a town to 2+ millions is easy, if you know how to do it.
Logistic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Logistic »

Before installing a whole load of new GRF's i started a game. I initially did some rail lines from woods to sawmills and coal to power station etc etc but when i created a bus link between one town (1800 people) to another town and also created rail link between two industries nearby i noticed the population increased quite significantly. Relatively early on in the process i created different save files so i could see how the process evolved...

Here you go...

The screenshot of the land i started to develop on.

another area nearby.

16 years later. Notice how i've also extended the island so as to allow more growth and created roads which i find helps the town to expand.

Another shot to show other towns that are also starting to grow. I also "founded" a new town as you'll notice on the island.

Population getting closer to 80,000 in the original town which had 1800 to begin with.

All towns connected and population has boomed, including the town i created which started off with 90 people.

Nearly 40 years later. Significant growth to town population and company finances. I've done virtually no construction outwith the area these screenshots are taken with exception to just 1 airport. I wanted to focus on roads and rail in this game.

The two towns towards top of screen have effectively merged and have, i think, a combined population total of original city.

Just 8 years later yet more growth.

I still cannot believe how much it has grown in 60-70 years.

One more screenshot...

This is further along from my created town and is my latest area of focus. I've got ships taking oil and vehicles transporting them a good distance. Transfering "valuables" from banks to each other is proving to be quite a good money spinner also.

I've not actually played this game for a few weeks now. I think there is only so much you can do before it becomes a bit exhausting. I may resume it sometime soon.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Also works the other way. ;)
Nice urban area grown from 1935 - 2000 with the biggest city (Mannheim) at almost 200.000 pop, but by 2116 - all of them smaller. The curious thing is that I didn't really pay attention (yes, for 100 years - it's a big map :oops: ) so I don't really know what happened in between (should've kept some save around ^^)

I think it's because I allowed cities to build their own roads, but that save is more or less "experimental" so I wouldn't be suprised if it was something different that caused this ^^
Attachments
DB Schwäbische Transporte, 30. Jun 2000.png
(419.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DB Schwäbische Transporte, 28. Jun 2116.png
(366.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

@ logistic
Nice!
I guess the reason i dont have that big of a city is because I only play the game for like 50 years.
gets boring after a while >_<
Logistic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Logistic »

I think the only reason it got that big was because i literally focused on this one area of the map. I created roads and leveled land and extended land so it could grow. The more i did that the more it grew.

At first i was a bit surprised at how quick it was growing. Once it hit 85000 though it has started to slow down in growth. I've not played the game for a couple of weeks now though because i've temporarily lost my interest, so i will likely update it when i get back into it.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Pyoro wrote:I don't really know what happened in between
possible explanation: some high-population buildings were not available anymore after a certain date, so even though the number of houses stays fairly constant, the population may drop. this heavily depends on the NewGRFs used, though.
jkholt1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jkholt1 »

One of my towns.
Attachments
Garnet & Gold 2, 9th Jul 2032.png
(637.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “General OpenTTD”