Patch: Modifiable Air crash rates

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zojj
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zojj »

See the BuildOTTD sticky.
I'm on the Zoloft to keep me from killing yall

My patches: Better graphs - Train acceleration - Crash rates
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

Very nice patch indeed. I personally don't think that virtually no plane crashes in OTTD would be a problem. Considering the real life probability of a plane crash, the probability in OTTD with so few planes and so few flights will be even lower. But of course for those who want plane crashes to actually happen it's good to have this patch so we can have both.
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

I just noticed that the patch setting is not configured as a server setting, meaning that when I use this on my dedicated server everyone can have her/his own value. Maybe that is not intended :P
Smoovious
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: Modifiable Air crash rates

Post by Smoovious »

Um... can you allow the range to be set to the full range of the variable instead of limiting to 1500? (using the implementation in ChrisIN)

When also using the daylength patch, the most relaxed setting for train crashes is still too many. I end up with 27 planes going, I've had 5 or 6 different planes crash before the year is out.

Just don't see any reason to make the max at 1500 when the variable can handle a much higher value.

-- Smoovious
____________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
µTorrent Support Team
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

Smoovious wrote:Um... can you allow the range to be set to the full range of the variable instead of limiting to 1500? (using the implementation in ChrisIN)

When also using the daylength patch, the most relaxed setting for train crashes is still too many. I end up with 27 planes going, I've had 5 or 6 different planes crash before the year is out.

Just don't see any reason to make the max at 1500 when the variable can handle a much higher value.

-- Smoovious
Well, To be honest, I'm perfectly happy as it is with the IN, and the minimum rate is low with that, approximately 0. And I mainly made this patch and the idea because they annoyed me.
Ways of Preventing Death:
* Don't breathe air. Seriously. Everyone born before 1870 breathed the substance at some point in their life and every one of them is dead today. A coincidence? I think not.
Taken from uncyclopedia
Smoovious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Smoovious »

so... is this patch just for you then? or is it for everyone?

-- Smoovious
µTorrent Support Team
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

Well,anyone can use it, but the one Zojj posted seems to work as I couldn't work out what I did wrong.

I made it so anyone else who got fed up with having a crash every 2 seconds had a way of making their game playable really.
* Don't breathe air. Seriously. Everyone born before 1870 breathed the substance at some point in their life and every one of them is dead today. A coincidence? I think not.
Taken from uncyclopedia
Smoovious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Smoovious »

RainierWatcher wrote:Well,anyone can use it, but the one Zojj posted seems to work as I couldn't work out what I did wrong.

I made it so anyone else who got fed up with having a crash every 2 seconds had a way of making their game playable really.
Well, that is why I would like to be able to set the crash ratio higher than its current max.

1 in 1500, may seem fine for a normal speed game, but it causes crashes way too often when the daylength patch is used in combination. We need some way of being able to balance out crashes with the increased year length. (I run a very long-term game).

Allowing us to set it along the full range the variable allows, allows us the kind of flexibility we need to customize a game the way we need to.

-- Smoovious
µTorrent Support Team
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Smoovious wrote:1 in 1500, may seem fine for a normal speed game, but it causes crashes way too often when the daylength patch is used in combination.
Can I suggest that the problem is therefore in the Daylength patch not adjusting the ratio appropriately? ie. if you use a time distorting patch, it isnt OTTD's fault that you get a time distorting problem.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

Well the probability is just hardcoded to be 1 in 1500 or 1 in 20. But a better rate would be to reduce it to say, an average of one a year for the entire gameworld. But that would probably be quite difficult to code, but I'll have a look at it at some point.
Taken from uncyclopedia
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

Perhaps something like this (pseudocode obviously)

Code: Select all

Get total aircraft in game world
assume 12 flights per year each aircraft  :average journey takes approx one game month
if less than 1500, then total flights = 1500
else total flight= planes x 12
1/total flights = probability
if crash already happened, probability 1/total flights x 1 + crashes this year  :well except for 2005, you don't get many crashes with big airliners
at new year, reset crashes this year to 0.
So for a low number, crashes still unlikely, but keeps number low and playable when you have loads, like 400 of them.
Taken from uncyclopedia
Smoovious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Smoovious »

Well, I have to admit that I missed something in the last version...

The choices are none, 1in30,000, 1in10,000, and 1in1,500... so there are higher settings that I hadn't noticed. I pushed the right button to increase the 'in#' part to its max, and 1,500 was the highest it went to. (the buttons feel backwards)

In any event, why limit to just those 4 choices? There's a whole range of values in between yet.

Anyways, running at 1in30,000 now... will see how well it goes with daylength at 30...
richk67 wrote:Can I suggest that the problem is therefore in the Daylength patch not adjusting the ratio appropriately? ie. if you use a time distorting patch, it isnt OTTD's fault that you get a time distorting problem.
I don't see it as a daylength issue. The odds of a crash are based on how often landings occur, not elapsed time. In any event, I don't think it a very good idea for that value in practice, to change according to another patch's settings. Imagine the chaos if that was extended to other patches as well, and the pain it would be to keep going back and forth trying to get each set, as they change each other.

-- Smoovious
µTorrent Support Team
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

I agree with Smoovious. The crash rate is solely based on the amount of landings and therefore it's irrelevant how many days pass for the plane crash ratio. I wrote daypatch to have as little influence as possible on code. I.e. all it does with daylength affects economy is display and use correct costs per year for the vehicles and that's all that the patch changes.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Zojj, could you please update your patch to last revision? :D
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

I never used a patch before so I still don't understand them very well, will this work in any version of OTTD?

I have the latest beta and I'm interested in trying this, but since Digitalfox asked for an update I guess it won't work.

Another thing, I'll need to use BuildOTTD which only runs on windows, but the recompiled OTTD will continue to work on macs? Sorry for the dumb question.

Regards,
Júlio
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

nulio wrote:I never used a patch before so I still don't understand them very well, will this work in any version of OTTD?

I have the latest beta and I'm interested in trying this, but since Digitalfox asked for an update I guess it won't work.

Another thing, I'll need to use BuildOTTD which only runs on windows, but the recompiled OTTD will continue to work on macs? Sorry for the dumb question.

Regards,
Júlio
Julio BuildOTTD is for using on windows and building windows builds.. So it won't work on MAC..

Also i asked an update to one of the authors because this patch is based on old source code ( almost 2000 revisions old ), even if I compile the build, the patch uses a very old build of Openttd..

Your best shot is that some Mac user ( there are several Mac users that play open and even some are a part of the development of OpenTTD ) reads this topic and post a compiled Mac build..

Hope this info helps you.. Also since we speak the same language and you may have some problems understanding English, you can always send me a private message and i'll explain and help in your doubts..
wozzar
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by wozzar »

Is some one able to make a working patch available for download. I try to use OTTD build but i am having lots of trouble with it.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

wozzar wrote:Is some one able to make a working patch available for download. I try to use OTTD build but i am having lots of trouble with it.
I can make you a build, but it's r10047, are you sure you will play with a so old revision? :?

Because the patch is for that revision, so applying it to a new build may lead to crashes and other problems..
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Well, seems that the patch is over 6 months old and won't work with current trunk. Someone have to update the patch for newest trunk. Perhaps the original patch author?
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
wozzar
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by wozzar »

Bilbo wrote:Well, seems that the patch is over 6 months old and won't work with current trunk. Someone have to update the patch for newest trunk. Perhaps the original patch author?
Maybe thats why i was having trouble with Ottd build. Because i am using the most current version of open ttd.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”