[Alpha 1C Released] [World Region] The 21st Century

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

What currency is there in the mid 21st century? (got a better idea? just post it)

Credits
66%
Terras (thx chirho)
13%
Gold (stupid idea)
7%
OOlongs (who came up with that?)
14%

Total votes: 183

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Akalamanaia wrote:Their Good at pulling alots of goods...though not shure if used for that job in Real Life.
IRL, Class 20s are used by DRS in pairs (cabs outwards) on trains carrying nuclear fuel, both ready and spent, to and from Sellafield. :)

Though I'm also a little confused about "Nukefill". Where does it fit into the food chain?
Johns_Volition
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Johns_Volition »

On this picture you see the Spaceport of Hollyton; the grafics are almost finished. (You like it?)

Ok a little explanation to Nuke-Fill (or Nuke Fuel, how steve'd say). It is produced out of Uranium and Oil, and is used to power high energy reactors (hey all ya it's sci fi, so don't search a scientific explanation allright?) like the Nuclear Power plant and the Spaceships on the spaceport...
-
whatever

"The universe would disappear in a puff of logic!"
-Patchman MMIV A.D.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I'm still confused. "Nuclear fuel" is basically uranium, with the occasional bit fo plutonium thrown in for good measure. The uranium rods are used to power electricity generators in power stations, submarines, possibly spacecraft, etc. I suppose you need to process uranium from the mines to produce rods, rather like you would produce timber and wood chips from felled logs. Even in the sci-fi sense, this makes more sense to me:

uranium mines --raw uranium-> uranium processing works --uranium rods (nuclear fuel)-> (anything that requires it - power plants, space port, etc) --spent fuel-> waste disposal

The middle section is "uranium processing works" and not "nuclear processing works" because you wouldn't have a nuclear reaction going there. Even in sci-fi, it would be pointless to burn your fuel before you use it ;)
Johns_Volition
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Johns_Volition »

Just assume that Nukefuel works out. Fluid high powered Uranium. End of discussion :D
And the Nuke-Works just process the nuke-fuel... No reaction going on there.

Here an image of the Nukefuel Tanker

-
whatever

-Patchman MMIV A.D.
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

Ow, I' love to see that train chrash :) Huge nuke explosion. Wold be good if it actually destroyed stuff, but that probably very complicated.

I decided I wanted to help put this mod together, can any of you point me to a good 3d modeler (I tried blender, but we're not made for each other) Or if you know a good tutorial for Zmodeler that would be good too.

I think my first project will be the Greenpeace building (protesting against your nuclear transports and all :) )
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
Johns_Volition
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Johns_Volition »

I used 3dSMax 6 for my purpose, but I'm sure lightwave will do as good.

For toutorials: http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tut3ds.asp
http://www.maxforums.org/ <- This is a very good Forum....

But You'll need a lot of practice... Hey I consider myself a beginner.
-
whatever

-Patchman MMIV A.D.
Spader
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spader »

a) No space rockets would EVER be fueled by a nuclear engine. Simply because the risk of the rocket blowing up (which sometimes happen. Last time it was 2 brazilian rockets)

b) Those who are a little bit closer to reality understands that a Nuclear reactor doesn't spit out "green radioactive gas", but pure natural h2o steam. The reactor water never gets in contact with any radioactive materials.

/Spader
Rens2Sea
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rens2Sea »

Spader wrote:a) No space rockets would EVER be fueled by a nuclear engine. Simply because the risk of the rocket blowing up (which sometimes happen. Last time it was 2 brazilian rockets)

b) Those who are a little bit closer to reality understands that a Nuclear reactor doesn't spit out "green radioactive gas", but pure natural h2o steam. The reactor water never gets in contact with any radioactive materials.

/Spader
c) This mod isn't being made to be realistic in ANY way.

d) Stop considering loco to be a fully realistic transport simulator, because it isn't.
jules
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jules »

yea i agree, this looks wiked...

And how can you travel to Alpha Prime on rocket fuel?
Nuclear fuel all the way!

How about replacing iron mines with adamantium and titanium, and putting in robot factories (for creating futuristic armies, and 'I Robot' type goods for towns) and space ship parts factories needed for all this high-tech space travel?
There is no ?
Johns_Volition
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Johns_Volition »

see? This guys know what he's talking about... Hm robot factorys... good idea!
-
whatever

-Patchman MMIV A.D.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

this mod looks good.

it's 'disposal' btw.

and what exactly is a 'nukefill' ?
TheDaian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDaian »

Korenn wrote:and what exactly is a 'nukefill' ?
i thought we covered that.... it's basicly nuclear fuel.
Spader wrote:a) No space rockets would EVER be fueled by a nuclear engine. Simply because the risk of the rocket blowing up (which sometimes happen. Last time it was 2 brazilian rockets)

a) actually, rockets fueled by a nuclear reaction of some sort are the only ones that WOULDN'T need 1 billion tons of fuel to get to another star system. (although it'd still take 4 years at the speed of light, which is another thing entirely) of course, scifi has a way around the dangers of exploding rockets, as any ship that would actually need nuclear fuel for long travel would most likely be built in space itself. plus, by the time it'd happen, rocket travel would be as safe as plane travel. (a few accidents, but 99.9999% of the time nothing happens).

b) who cares?! it LOOKS cool. and that's really what these people are going for!

maybe you could make hovercars/flying cars? for busses and trucks and such.

robot factories sounds cool. maybe it could be setup like titanium mine -> parts factory -> robot factory -> goods for transport to towns
or titanium mine -> parts factory -> ship parts factory -> ship parts to take to a spaceport
jules
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jules »

TheDaian wrote: robot factories sounds cool. maybe it could be setup like titanium mine -> parts factory -> robot factory -> goods for transport to towns
or titanium mine -> parts factory -> ship parts factory -> ship parts to take to a spaceport
I prefer the first one, although they wont be goods, they'd be robots :-D

Also to replace the grain/livestock/food one, oooh... idea...
How about black market goods chain to replace this industrial chain?

We could have <insert sci-fi-ie name here plant> plantation >>> Blackmarket Brewer (requires plants to produce space beer/drugs) >>> Nuclear Bunker Vault (requires beer/drugs to produce passangers??)

The Nuclear Bunker Vault would an undergound city (think Fallout) taken over by scoundrals, pirates and generally evil people :-D.. the only thing actually visable to the surface would be the air vents, surface access and maybe a carpark or somehting (like the end of terminator 3).
This is not actually a city but an industry that is called a city... so wouldn't grow or actually be visable underground in underground view... use your imagination :-D

Oh and the names need changing
There is no ?
Spader
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spader »

Rens2Sea wrote: c) This mod isn't being made to be realistic in ANY way.

d) Stop considering loco to be a fully realistic transport simulator, because it isn't.
I never said I want it to be all realistic. I just can't understand why things always has to be "childish" in order to be unrealistic. (Which is exactly what you and many others state. Unrealistic = Toonish)

Green smoke? Did you get that from a cartoon or what?

/Spader
Maniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maniac »

Just wanted to say that you are doing an awsome mod here!
Johns_Volition wrote:I used 3dSMax 6 for my purpose, but I'm sure lightwave will do as good.

For toutorials: http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tut3ds.asp
http://www.maxforums.org/ <- This is a very good Forum....

But You'll need a lot of practice... Hey I consider myself a beginner.
I am also a beginner in Modeling in 3DsMax, but what I would like to know is how big should a vehicle in Locomotion be? What metrics do I use and so on?
PurdueGuy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PurdueGuy »

I just can't get over how people seem to know absolutely nothing about nuclear power. And I hate it when people take the "science" out of "science fiction". If you know something just plain CAN'T happen (nuclear power plant spewing green crap everywhere - people would never allow it), then why the heck would you use it. The idea of science fiction is to imagine how things actually could be - often in amazing and far-out ways - and then explain how it works, even though it often requires one or two (not hundreds) of assumptions that really stretch what is realistic.

These mods look like they are good quality, graphically. And some extra color is nice. But if a mod gets silly (green smoke, black market transport networks, toyland), then I will be avoiding it. If it is just absolutely what you guys want, then heck, go for it.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

The only real purpose I can see to the green smoke is to distinguish coal and nuclear power plants. But even then, the cooling towers in both exude nothing but steam, typically because they contain nothing but water. Perhaps some other trickery can be used, like a particular design on the cooling towers, like making them even brighter white (to aid the cooling - or for whatever other reason).

I still don't buy the concept of "nukefill" coming from a "nuke works" - at least, not with those names. In the real world of the 21st century, nuclear fuel is in the form of encased rods. I don't really see how the science behind uranium-enriched oil would work, other than increasing the heat of combustion, but even then you need to moderate the reaction. Ultimately, if the "science" in your "science fiction" doesn't stand up, all you're left with is a repeat of Toyland.
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Johns_Volition
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Johns_Volition »

Uh I can live with that devasting judgement.
Ok now listen up again and again: First of all almost all graphics except the Nukefuel tanks, the spaceports and the Nukeworks ARE PLACEHOLDERS; yes P L A C E H O L D E R S..
Yes confess; I made nukefuel up (oh my god a little fantasy, I should be sooo ashamed).
And to your clever "uh-it-has-not-enough-science-based-facts-in-it-so please-call-it-toyland" comment... :roll:

c'mon buddy do you think the robots of I robot could be so charming and evil the same time?
Don't you feel odd hearing a Tie-Fighter screeming through the space?
Wouldn't you agree that every guy who'd say "beam me up scotty" is a complete nuthole?
don't you think that those MechWarriors would fall down at their verry first steps?
Don't you agree that the idee of a death star is a little far fetched?
Wouldn't you guess that a Worm of the size of a couple kilometers had little problems digging through Sand?

But you'd still consider them all sci-i?
Let's ask us the question? What went so devasting wrong here?
Why can't there be a Miracoulus substance called Nuke-Fill? Why can't It be made out of Elements both found in Oil and Uranium? Why can't we have it in fluid form? Why can't made up rockets, only the size of a houndered lousy pixels use it to power a made up Magnetic repulsion system that lifts them easily and without great risks into the skys?
Sure it's all made up but if it were only for people like you; we'd still burn witches, and laugh about anyone who'd say that flying's possible, just because your books say otherwise.

So... Yes I dare to say: The worlds a Sphere!

And, if you don't like the world I made up, make yourself an own one...
(sorry for the lecture)
-
whatever

-Patchman MMIV A.D.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Johns_Volition wrote:c'mon buddy do you think the robots of I robot could be so charming and evil the same time?
They're not evil. They're behaving in accordance with their programming.
Don't you feel odd hearing a Tie-Fighter screeming through the space?
This Is Not St*r W*rs :)
Wouldn't you agree that every guy who'd say "beam me up scotty" is a complete nuthole?
Yes, but I don't see where it fits into this argument. In fact, much of the stuff that happened in Star Trek was pretty plausible (with the possible exception of the instant communication across deep space - even the "warp" idea has some mathematical grounding)
Don't you agree that the idee of a death star is a little far fetched?
Not particularly. Build a big ship and fit it with death-rays. Done :)
Let's ask us the question? What went so devasting wrong here?
Why can't there be a Miracoulus substance called Nuke-Fill?
Because, unlike most of the arguments you've given above, which are improbable, but believeable, the concept of liquid nuclear fuel that you could transport easily is patent nonsense. Not "far-fetched fiction", but patent nonsense.
Why can't It be made out of Elements both found in Oil and Uranium?
Because they don't mix. Fact.
Why can't we have it in fluid form?
Because anyone with half a brain can see that it makes more sense to have it in solid form.
Why can't made up rockets, only the size of a houndered lousy pixels use it to power a made up Magnetic repulsion system that lifts them easily and without great risks into the skys?
That's fine, but why can't they use uranium rods like everyone else? :)
Sure it's all made up but if it were only for people like you; we'd still burn witches, and laugh about anyone who'd say that flying's possible, just because your books say otherwise.
Pitchfork at the ready, sir :roll:

Ultimately, as I've said, if the science in science fiction doesn't stand up, you end up with an Ed Wood film, or Toyland (whichever is worse).
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Nuclear power plants produce steam from those stacks, not green diseased chlorine gas.
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”