Dutch Road Furniture Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Road Furniture Development

Post by DeletedUser14 »

These are just photoshopped I guess, and by the look of that repository you wouldn't even need new sprites at all, oh well.. :P
Je suis le patron et je vous emmerde!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Why did you edit them out??

Incidentally, i guess if people dont like them, they could be removed with a parameter. Personally i think they are great.
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser14 »

They are great, just not all highways use them - even in the Netherlands:for example parts of the A44: http://g.co/maps/7j742 and the A37 http://g.co/maps/ja6m4
Also, those tiles could be used to create nicer looking N-roads. It's not a replacement but an addition.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

KasperVld wrote:They are great, just not all highways use them - even in the Netherlands:for example parts of the A44: http://g.co/maps/7j742 .
Uhmm, that link is to the N206 a regional road between Katwijk and Noordwijk.

To make those wide gras median it is maybe better to at one third lane to one tile. So the space between the two roads is two tiles.
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/dut ... strook.png These pieces should be available in game (as most pieces could be to make nice highways which all look different.

The A6 also has no middle barrier but a wide gras stretch, Maybe an other nice addition would be a roundabount. On the A6/A7 interchange at joure there is one located.
Something like a 5x5 3lane roundabount with 3x3 middel section would be cool to make compact highway intersections.

Maybe some other missing detail, the overhead signs ALWAYS have a barrier in front of them. most of time just a few meters starting in front and ending just behind the poles.

Gr. Jordi
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

jor[D]1 wrote:the overhead signs ALWAYS have a barrier in front of them
Not ALWAYS, but most of the times, yes. I've been planning to add those when there will be shoulders with guardrails as well.

Here's an example where this is not the case: http://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.555061,4.8 ... .9,,0,6.29

And then there's this case where they've put the supports on the other side of an earth wall: http://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.533443,4.7 ... 52,,0,1.78
Looks like they've been reserving some space to put some sort of big interchange. No clue what purpose an interchange would have in that particular location...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Hi, i've not tried this GRF yet, but something that i didn't find when skimming over the screenshots here:
  • a bridge including third lane and standing lane, both left and right side version (occupies 2 bridge slots)
  • onramp and offramp acceleration lanes (won't be used, but would probably look better)
  • an option to override the one-way arrows with something less visible
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Eddi wrote:
  • a bridge including third lane and standing lane, both left and right side version
As stated by Foobar, this hasn't been done as bridges are currently not codeable in NML.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:Hi, i've not tried this GRF yet, but something that i didn't find when skimming over the screenshots here:
  • onramp and offramp acceleration lanes (won't be used, but would probably look better)
How interesting. I've been doing a lot of commuting lately for my new job (1200 miles a week!), and just today on my way home I thought about the possibility of adding an onramp/accelerator lane to this set.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Eddi wrote:
  • a bridge including third lane and standing lane, both left and right side version (occupies 2 bridge slots)
  • an option to override the one-way arrows with something less visible
Bridges will certainly be added some day. I'm even considering making a single bridge that works both ways (with continuous lines instead of dashed lines, but that doesn't matter as vehicles can't overtake on bridges anyways), to avoid eating away custom rail bridges for the users who have a full bridge replacement set loaded.

Acceleration lanes is something I've considerd but not yet decided. I did make a mockup of how it could look: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=969691#p969691. As they can't be used by vehicles they don't have top priority at the moment, but indeed are nice eyecandy.

As for the arrows I assume you mean the ones from the base set, not the ones I drew on the third lane end pieces? If so, then I'm open to suggestions on how these could look. Maybe simple triangles in a light grey?

Thanks for your suggestions!
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Can't you make the arrows like the CS road set. On signs next to the road?

Gr. Jordi
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I could, but I won't :P
IMO that's a very bad approach, which looks even worse on slopes than the current OpenGFX/OpenTTD arrows. Plus that they can't really have a decent height, as vehicles always drive overtop.

The best solution would be that OpenTTD supports more sprites for this. Separate sprites for slopes and separate sprites to be drawn in front of and behind vehicles. Then you basically can do anything. That may have a performance hit on people who thing they must place an arrow on every single tile :P
May be a nice project though for someone who wants to get more familiar with the OpenTTD source and how drawing graphics on the screen works. Not me though, not that it doesn't interest me, but just that I don't have the time for that kind of things.
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser14 »

The new Beta is out which fixes the issue with towns removing objects :)
jermboy27
Engineer
Engineer

Belgian Road Furniture Development

Post by jermboy27 »

Can you create a Road Furniture Development called "Belgian Road Furniture Development"?
Please or I'll :cry:!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I can, but I'm not going to ;) It's more than enough work to manage just this set. But feel free to fork the source and create your own derivative, as long as you respect the rules of the GPL license.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Belgian Road Furniture Development

Post by Hyronymus »

jermboy27 wrote:Can you create a Road Furniture Development called "Belgian Road Furniture Development"?
Please or I'll :cry:!
Did you forget why you were banned for two weeks?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Seems a legit question to me. Let's see where this goes, could just be bad English this time. ;)
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

FooBar wrote:Seems a legit question to me. Let's see where this goes, could just be bad English this time. ;)
Really? I mean, is the road equipment in Belgium REALLY that different?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The direction signs for one are, in Belgium they are more like the French ones. Also the gantries are different, I believe they use a single beam rather than a truss.
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser14 »

Plus, the third lanes and hard shoulders in belgium would have to show wear and tear, and a huge hole or two
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

FooBar wrote:Seems a legit question to me. Let's see where this goes, could just be bad English this time. ;)
Considering his previous request to be a "Irish Road Furniture Set", I expect he is just trolling.

Return to “Graphics Development”