Question from an old timer

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Question from an old timer

Post by Alltaken »

Hey Team,

The 32bpp graphics are really starting to look good.

I've found it a little hard to find my way around to either
A) Download and play the game (which i managed to do)
and
B) Find out what is left to be done on the graphics.

I'm pretty curious if there is a page anywhere containing every single sprite, or vehicle, or building etc... in the original game. I'm sure it exists.

If someone could point me to some of that it would be awesome.

P.s. you may or may not remember me, but i sure as hell haven't forgotten the awesome project that this is.

Cheers.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Question from an old timer

Post by Lord Aro »

:shock: The god of 32bit graphics himself :-)

nowadays, the best 'megapack' is located here: http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-nightlies
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

If You want more graphics (but some a bit unfinished), You can download this:
32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2012-01-18-dev.tar
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Well, well... I'm really glad to see you popping back.

To view current progress you can check out the tracker: http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-tools/progress/
It works on a per-sprite basis. No actual sprites on it, though.

At this point in time, the best way to see what items most needs doing is to just play the game.
#################
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

I'll definitely check out the nightly pack, to see what is happening.

Jupix that is cool.

Do you have plans to make each little square clickable so that designers can see what the original sprite so they can recreate it?
Also does this repository have the capabilities to download the .blend or .3ds source files for the sprites.

Its a good initiative having everything in one place.

Also I messed around, and find-replaced all the background colours with classes, and added the following code to your stylesheet.

Just an idea, once classes are implimented colours etc... will be a piece of cake to change. (image attached)

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
			html{
				background-color:#222;
				}
			body{
				font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
				background-color:#222;
				color:#FFF;
				}
			table.legend{
				background-color:#666;
				border:10px solid #666;
				border-radius:5px;
				margin-bottom:30px;
				}
			table.legend td{
				padding:4px 10px;
				}
			table.progress {
				empty-cells: show;
				margin-top:30px;
			}

td.sprite {
				color: black;
				background: silver;
				height: 8px;
				width: 9px;
				margin: 1px;
				padding:0;
				border: 0px solid black;
				border-radius:4px;
			}

#dhtmltooltip {
				font-size: 80%;
				position: absolute;
				padding: 5px;
				background: #F0F0F0;
				visibility: hidden;
				z-index: 100;
			}

td.base{
				background-color:#98B087;
				}
			td.tropical{
				background-color:#FFE791;
				color:#666;
				}
			td.arctic{
				background-color:#5D7A85;
				}
			td.toyland{
				background-color:#5F4F66;
				}
			td.logos{
				background-color:#6B4346;
				}
			td.extra{
				background-color:#B5956C;
				}
			td.complete{
				background-color:white;
				}
			td.progress{
				background-color:#CCC;
				}

hr{
				margin:0;}

</style>

Attachments
tracker.png
(44.21 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Alltaken wrote: Do you have plans to make each little square clickable so that designers can see what the original sprite so they can recreate it?
Yep - that is planned. 8)
Also does this repository have the capabilities to download the .blend or .3ds source files for the sprites.
Yes, that's what it's for. It works on a per-item basis. When you hover a sprite in the tracker it shows you what package the sprite is in.

Good catch about the CSS definitions. They are in the in-line style because that's the way it was easiest to code when writing the whole thing. Obviously they are only 1 line in the php code. Moving the definitions to .css or <style> is the logical next step which I merely forgot to do...
#################
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Awesome i'll have a good look in there.

Sorry for messing with things, i can never keep my hands off stuff :-P

So out of curiosity, does someone just upload the tar file and the sytem scans it, then organises it?

Are all Source files available? or only where an artist has included it in the pack? The first few i looked at didn't seem to have .blend files (unless i was looking in the wrong place), but i managed to find some that did.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Out of curiosity I just looked at the link in your signature. I found http://doug.flipdesign.co.nz/gallery/ma ... 3.png.html and wonder whether you have the blender files for that and also maybe the related (normal) ground tiles. It looks really amazing :-)

I'd like to teach myself a bit blender and its scripting a bit and would like something to start with. Would you mind to make them available to me?

And yes, I'd advocate that new entries to a 32bpp set should always contain the source files (blender or whatever programme was used), if they're rendered.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

planetmaker wrote:And yes, I'd advocate that new entries to a 32bpp set should always contain the source files (blender or whatever programme was used), if they're rendered.
I agree, but only for new entries.

Sources gives lots of advantages, but... if It doesn't exist, but the author allows the usage, I will release their graphics.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

planetmaker wrote:Out of curiosity I just looked at the link in your signature. I found http://doug.flipdesign.co.nz/gallery/ma ... 3.png.html and wonder whether you have the blender files for that and also maybe the related (normal) ground tiles. It looks really amazing :-)
Sure do.

I've uploaded all my Blend files for the ground sprites to the following location. ( you can wander up and down a directory or two as well)
http://ottd.flipdesign.co.nz/Blend%20Files/

Note 1: You may need to open them to render them in an older version of Blender, I seem to be having issues with crashing etc.... in 2.61. They were built in around 2007 perhaps so it could be Blender 2.34ish
Note 2: That all my files were originally designed for 128px wide tiles, whereas we've now gone to 256px wide. so at the top zoom level everything may look a bit crap.:

I set my files up as a simple animation, and then rendered all PNGs out like that.

All the best messing around with stuff. just let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Return to “Graphics Development”