[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by Zuu »

Perhaps the commuter airport state machine? Or even the small airport?

The small one is probably easier to make it look good, while the commuter will give a more efficient airport.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Would make sense. But both only count as small airports, thus large aircraft would have a high(er) crash chance. Might be inteded, though :-)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

The smallest "big" airport is the city airport. That gives quite a lot of room to work with, by replacing all the terminals with industry cranes for example.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

why not just provide all airports in a variant where the passenger-terminals are replaced with something industry-ish looking? i see no reason to exclude some for completely random reasons.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddi wrote:why not just provide all airports in a variant where the passenger-terminals are replaced with something industry-ish looking? i see no reason to exclude some for completely random reasons.
There's no other reason than "one has to start somewhere" and "it has to be done". This was more about which airport to pick as first industrial airport :-)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Would it make sense to for airport spec also include something similar as for railway stations to specify which cargo the airport is intended towards? (useful allowing AIs to not make silly decisions on airport looks)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you mean callback 18?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Eddi wrote:you mean callback 18?
A proper, working version of that callback would be nice ;)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Now if we can just convince zero.eight to look at climatizing and rotating the old Combined Airports set... ;-)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

You could theoretically make airports look different depending on what year they were built, right? The Red Brick airport would look great in the 60s and 70s, and the airport in TTRS for the present or future, but it only works on the city and metropolitan airports... So may posibilities! :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Emperor Jake wrote:You could theoretically make airports look different depending on what year they were built, right?
Yep, airports can have established time periods in which they're available. I briefly played with this when trying to build an airship mast. The time worked fine, I just couldn't make a satisfying graphics that fit in the helipad space which would look right with the airships.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Is it also possible to make an airport's tilelayout or footprint bigger while keeping the statemachine the same? It would look good for example if the runways extended one tile or so, and there was a row of grass tiles next to it to keep buildings away (yes I know the fence objects are also good for this)
Having an old and modern style small airport might also be good - I like to use the small airport sometimes even in modern times where traffic is low and space is limited, and the dirt runway doesn't look good with modern turboprops.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Emperor Jake wrote:Is it also possible to make an airport's tilelayout or footprint bigger while keeping the statemachine the same?
Yes, but in a limited fashion. IIRC the statemachine is anchored to the Northern most tile of the airport.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

You could extend the runways even though the planes don't use the 1st or last tiles, after all jets tend not to use the full runway length

Cheers

Bob
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:You could extend the runways even though the planes don't use the 1st or last tiles, after all jets tend not to use the full runway length

Cheers

Bob
Yes, but the state machine anchor means you can only extent them to the South-West (or South-East, but there are no such default airports). Such extention may look ok without planes, but looks odd when used by planes as they won't use them anything near symmetrically. And adding many eye candy tiles on the outside IMHO is not the best approach - they're better and more flexibly added by the player in the form of airport tiles provided in the form of NewObjects.
Rick D
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rick D »

Its already been suggested but I'd really like to see some industry themed airports, purely for looks. The aircraft routes wouldn't need to change
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

It should be quite simple to make a cargo airport out of the regular airports. Just the following:
- Replace main terminals with warehouses
- Replace passenger gates/buildings with plain tarmac decorated with a few air cargo containers and loading vehicles
- Possibly plop a few more cargo/vehicles around the place
- And importantly, have a parameter to remove the fences, so you can visually extend it and integrate it into a larger complex.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Oh yeah!, cargo airports in ISR style! :D
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

I'll code them if someone provides the graphics :)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Yexo wrote:I'll code them if someone provides the graphics :)
I had/have some ideas, but before I've to finish 2 or 3 drawings!

Return to “Graphics Development”