NewGRF Idea: Decaying City

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

NewGRF Idea: Decaying City

Post by kamnet »

Just a quick thought that went through my head, that I don't think I've seen proposed before.

A NewGRF which replaces the base house and office buildings with decayed, crumbling buildings if a town isn't regularly serviced.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRF Idea: Decaying City

Post by Kogut »

AFAIK it is impossible (newgrf is unable to check whatever a town is regularly serviced.).
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

A house NewGRF can check the percent passengers/mail transport this month/last month. So it could show crumbled houses when there are no passengers transported last month nor this month.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

You can also use town persistent storage to store more stats and information. Houses can then check it to decide their state.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

I think this could be well implemented in existing newGRFs :) Personally I think run down / derelict wouldn't look too great if it was constantly changing.

It would be nice to see at the start of the game all towns only have small houses and will only build small houses unless the town is provided with transportation. The town can then choose to build progressively bigger buildings as more and more passengers are transported. This would require no new graphics and would be nice as a parameter option in certain sets, Hint* Hint*... :)

Along the derelict line perhaps if a town revives no service in a year or so the 'large' buildings (ie those that only could be built if transport was provided at some point) could become derelict :)
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Terkhen wrote:You can also use town persistent storage to store more stats and information. Houses can then check it to decide their state.
Yeah, combined with callback 0x148 there's a lot you could do.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Michi_cc wrote:
Terkhen wrote:You can also use town persistent storage to store more stats and information. Houses can then check it to decide their state.
Is it possible to check delivery of food/goods/etc?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Kogut wrote:
Michi_cc wrote:
Is it possible to check delivery of food/goods/etc?
You can in principle check for any cargo being delivered: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Va ... s_.2864.29
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Do cities actually decrease in size when they had a good service and lose that service?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

towns have a growth rate based on number of active stations, and a decay rate based on number of houses (and their lifetime).

towns will shrink if the latter is larger than the former.

Return to “Graphics Development”