OpenGFX+ Landscape

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:or we get some newgrf support for custom field graphics up and running...
Yes, that's why I wrote "currently" :-). It's definitely somewhen somewhere on the agenda in the context of NewIndustries. But no-one is working on that currently either.
a.locritani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by a.locritani »

I want to report a couple of strange things when using the "temperate grass on alpine climate" option:
  • if you start a sub-tropical scenario desert is replaced by snow
  • in alpine scenario grass has blinking pixel (see img)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Thanks for the report. I'm afraid though I don't see more than a few pixel preview which seems to be related to using a 3rd-party image hosting services; better always attach images to this forum. Can you also please check which version of OpenGFX+ Landscape you use and verify that this error still happens in version 0.2.3? I know to have fixed such bug in one previous version:
Version 0.2.1 wrote:- Fix #2407: Alpine ground sprites had (a lot) animated colours
And yes, if you use the "Alpine" version in tropical climate, you'll get snow instead of desert. I didn't de-activate it simply on grounds of "if you want it funky, then you get it funky", but as you're not the first to complain about this I might actually block use of Alpine in a future version with tropical climate.
a.locritani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by a.locritani »

Ok, I will check the version number but I'm quite sure it is the last one - i've updated all my grfs two days ago

regarding the low quality image, if you click it a bigger version should appear, but next time i'll attach directly to the forum.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

a.locritani wrote:Ok, I will check the version number but I'm quite sure it is the last one - i've updated all my grfs two days ago
Hm, it might be, if you're playing stable OpenTTD that you don't get 0.2.1 (or 0.2.3) as I made some changes which make the NewGRF incompatible with stable OpenTTD; and bananas doesn't allow to make different versions of a NewGRF available for different OpenTTD versions. You can download them from the DevZone and can check 0.2.1 (I don't recall exactly anymore which version restriction it has)
a.locritani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by a.locritani »

I'm playing with yacd 2.3 (released in the beginning of june).

I downloaded both and I will test it at home (i'm @work now).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

That IIRC has not the required changes to the NewGRF interface to make use of the newest versions of this NewGRF. Thus the only hope to fix that bug is, is that one of the downloaded versions of this NewGRF still works for that
a.locritani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by a.locritani »

Hi, sorry but my 8-years-old notebook stopped working yesterday :cry: , so I cannot test the last version and confirm that problem is solved.

Thanks
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

a.locritani wrote:Hi, sorry but my 8-years-old notebook stopped working yesterday :cry: , so I cannot test the last version and confirm that problem is solved.
That's sad to hear. I hope you'll find time to enjoy this game on a new(er) machine, though :-)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I am playing an arctic game, and have some trouble seeing all the tracks. See attached image
snow_problems2.png
snow_problems2.png (67.83 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
The upper one is no problem, everything is nicely visible. The bottom one is another matter however. Due to the large amount of white powder, I find it very difficult to see where track is lying and where not. The N-S connection at the left is very subtle imho.

Edit: I had another snowy picture that didn't look entirely right:
snow_problems.png
snow_problems.png (94.75 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
The black rail at the bottom seems to have a few alignment problems here and there
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Both seem quite clear to me, it could be your screen brightness or well... your eyes (no offense).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Clear, yes
but i can see white pixels 'bleeding' through the tracks and also some offset issues (second picture notable)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Purno wrote:Both seem quite clear to me, it could be your screen brightness or well... your eyes (no offense).
Reading it from another machine, I can see that too now. The tracks are much better visible, and I remember the bottom picture as being much more smooth at the machine where I posted the message, with the occasional pixel out of alignment at the grid borders. Now it looks much sharper everywhere (which sort of hides many of the 'weird' pixels).

Use of an old, not-so-bright analogue CRT monitor versus a modern LCD display does make a big difference, apparently.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

A few comments and crits on the latest release (0.2.3):
Grinnington Transport, 12th Sep 2040.png
Grinnington Transport, 12th Sep 2040.png (85.46 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
1) Coasts in alpine (gridlines on) still use the old OGFX graphics.
2) Rivers and canals in alpine use the arctic graphics rather than the temperate graphics.
3) I see what you've tried to do with the turbine bases, but the effect is not so good on water IMO.
4) Fenced land on coast tiles looks a bit strange!
Grinnington Transport, 6th Oct 2040.png
Grinnington Transport, 6th Oct 2040.png (72.6 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
5) The text "only with the NoGrid option" suggests that alpine can only be used with Disable Gridlines turned on, which isn't the case.
Wrindinghall Transport, 8th Feb 2040.png
Wrindinghall Transport, 8th Feb 2040.png (69.6 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
6) Fenced land in the purchase window shows the arctic tree in tropical climate. Also, it would be good if temperate (and toyland) could have climate-specific trees.

Also (I know these has been mention above), it would be nice if the fenced land trees could be randomised, and it would be better IMO to restrict the alpine option to arctic climate only as it doesn't make much sense anyhere else.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote:A few comments and crits on the latest release (0.2.3):

1) Coasts in alpine (gridlines on) still use the old OGFX graphics.
2) Rivers and canals in alpine use the arctic graphics rather than the temperate graphics.
3) I see what you've tried to do with the turbine bases, but the effect is not so good on water IMO.
4) Fenced land on coast tiles looks a bit strange!
5) The text "only with the NoGrid option" suggests that alpine can only be used with Disable Gridlines turned on, which isn't the case.
6) Fenced land in the purchase window shows the arctic tree in tropical climate. Also, it would be good if temperate (and toyland) could have climate-specific trees.

7) Also (I know these has been mention above), it would be nice if the fenced land trees could be randomised,
8 ) and it would be better IMO to restrict the alpine option to arctic climate only as it doesn't make much sense anyhere else.
Thanks for your comments and hints. Much appreciated :-)

ad 5) That seems to be a left-over from a time where it was still true and a warning which I forgot to remove.
ad 1) I'll check that. Should be an easy copy&paste job for the graphics files.
ad 8 ) I found it funny to be used in tropical climate (~ no snow near coasts), but I guess it might make sense to allow alpine only in arctic.
ad 3) I see what you mean. I guess I toyed with the graphics without considering water tiles.
and with all the other points you hit spot on where I also feel that it can and should be improved and which are on my agenda for future versions.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Another thought: is there any chance that the disable gridlines feature could be turned off by default?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote:Another thought: is there any chance that the disable gridlines feature could be turned off by default?
You mean, you want "show gridlines: true" by default? (I really should invert the setting ;-) - Double negatives are bad). Let's say: I prefer there a totally different approach and integrate that one into OpenTTD ;-)
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

planetmaker wrote:You mean, you want "show gridlines: true" by default?
Correct. I mean, I ask because I don't use that setting myself and I'm forever turning it off, but I don't see why the average user would necessarily want gridlines off as the default as opposed to, say, gridlines on with alpine on. Better to have the normal OTTD landscape as the default and let the user choose how to modify it, IMO.
I prefer there a totally different approach and integrate that one into OpenTTD ;-)
You mean have landscape without gridlines as the norm in OGFX?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote:
planetmaker wrote:You mean, you want "show gridlines: true" by default?
Correct. I mean, I ask because I don't use that setting myself and I'm forever turning it off, but I don't see why the average user would necessarily want gridlines off as the default as opposed to(...)
Well, removing visibility of the gridlines was what got me started with this NewGRF :-), the rest, including Alpine climate and objects was added later.
PaulC wrote:
I prefer there a totally different approach and integrate that one into OpenTTD ;-)
You mean have landscape without gridlines as the norm in OGFX?
I mean to make gridlines an action5 feature with a switch in the transparency settings for them.
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

Muzzly wrote:Thanks :bow: :bow: :bow:
Game looks much better now :D
x2

It is similar to SimCity now ;)
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override

Return to “Graphics Releases”