Request: 32bpp (normal zoom) graphics for OpenGFX+ projects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Request: 32bpp (normal zoom) graphics for OpenGFX+ projects

Post by Yexo »

Reason for this request
There have been a lot of nice 32bpp graphics posted to the forum, on the wiki and more lately in jupix repository. The organization of the sprites has been improved a lot but can still be improved further. Another disadvantage of the current way the sprites are coded is that they only work as long as you don't use any NewGRFs. Not using any vehicle NewGRFs isn't an option as soon as one wants to play with ECS or FIRS.

This is where OpenGFX+Trains and OpenGFX+Road Vehicles come in. They provide slightly modified versions of the default vehicles that are refitable and can carry all the new cargoes. While the priority is not there, graphics for OpenGFX+Industries, OpenGFX+Landscape and OpenGFX+Airports will also be accepted. Since most 32bpp graphics so far have been made for the baseset, they can easily be adapted to these NewGRFs.

What are we asking for?
32bpp normal zoom level graphics that are released under GPL v2 or a compatible license. They don't have to be coded, that'll be taken care of. If they already are, that's fine. They can be in the default "one sprite per file"-format or you can put multiple sprites in a single file. That is useful so you can take the 8bpp graphics files from those sets, convert the file to 32bpp and draw over the original ones. We do require the original source files. If you've drawn sprites in gimp/photoshop, we require the original gimp / photoshop files. If you've rendered the sprites from a 3d model, we want the .blend files (or the files from whatever program you're using).
Currently we're only looking for the default zoom-level graphics. If you have extra-zoom graphics, feel free to send them along but only if they're also accompanied by default zoom-level graphics.
Preferably post them in the respecitve bug trackers
OpenGFX+Trains
OpenGFX+RoadVehicles
OpenGFX+Industries
OpenGFX+Landscape
OpenGFX+Airports
Alternatively you could also attach them in this thread

What are the advantages?
It will bring a lot more people in contact with those 32bpp sprites. Once those sprites are coded for use with OpenGFX+ projects it'll be very easy to convert them later to a 32bpp baseset.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Request: 32bpp (normal zoom) graphics for OpenGFX+ proje

Post by bokkie »

Is it a good idea to set some standards for consistency? I'm mainly talking about lighting, shadow (or: lack thereof) and scale. Consistency in OpenGFX seemed to be achieved because Zephyris made a large part of the graphics and/or reviewed other peoples sprites. Ofcourse very many other people contributed, the point of this post is not to negate their efforts, but to add to the organization of this project. In the 32bpp sprites there seems to be more inconsistency in these things. Many sprites are beautiful on their own but some are darker, in some the door is bigger, etc. (IIRC).
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The problem of scale is that some big buildings have a different scale than small buildings.

In small houses I try to modify the sprite if the scale is very different.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I don't think scale or light direction need discussion. The light direction more or less is about 5:30 on the clock and the scale / size of the vehicles is also given by the current vehicle sizes. Consistency among different features is not feasible. Among a single feature also not required in a strict sense. Important is only that it looks good - which will require to sometimes disrespect a consistent scale, also when only considering vehicles.

The sprites should fit the game. Use the relative sizes of the 8bpp base set sprites as guide.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

'lo guys

I'm going to start posting the 32bpp sources to my OpenGFX sprites wherever they are available. I hope these are useful!
Attachments
Ground tiles 32bpp 16-12-07.zip
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 225 times
32bppInfrastructure_17.10.2011.zip
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
32bppExplosions_17.10.2011.zip
(126.95 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And some more
Attachments
32bppIndustries_17.11.2011.zip
(586.96 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
32bppLandscape_17.10.2011.zip
(343.65 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
32bppOther_17.10.2011.zip
(420.36 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And a few more
Attachments
32bppTownBuildings1_17.10.2011.zip
(242.7 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
32bppTownBuildings2_17.10.2011.zip
(30.42 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
32bppTownBuildings3_17.10.2011.zip
(107.26 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:And a few more
Sorry, late reply :-) Thanks for the sprites

I'll try to make sure to at least get some into the next releases of OpenGFX+ Landscape and OpenGFX+ Industries (which seem the obvious candidates here).
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sweet :) Is the aim to make a complete 32bpp normal zoom set?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:Sweet :) Is the aim to make a complete 32bpp normal zoom set?
In the long run: certainly. For now we'll try to get single NewGRFs with (complete) 32bpp support done, similar to grvts. Being in OpenGFX style, the 32bpp sprites can then be used for a 32bpp version of base graphics, too. After all these NewGRFs and OpenGFX share already some code and more than a few sprites :-)

Should we get extra-zoom support, I'll, of course, also happily include sprites which support that.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

As I have mentioned in another post, please feel free to use my models as you see fit for the OpenGFX+ trains project.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 24#p985323

Return to “Graphics Development”