Dutch Road Furniture Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Dutch Road Furniture Development

Post by FooBar »

Hereby I present you with something new and exciting: Dutch Road Furniture!
Dutch Road Furniture is an eyecandy object NewGRF that features road furniture which can be found alongside Dutch roads.

Now what is this, this "Road Furniture" you might ask? Well, the Dutch call it "wegmeubilair" or "straatmeubilair" and the more common English term is street funiture. I decided to go for Road Furniture instead, as TTD speaks of roads and not streets and this will eventually also include stuff to dress up your motorways and those are definitely not streets. The road furniture itself can be anything that you find next to the roads in the Netherlands. Be it fingerposts, highway direction signs, barriers, guardrails, hard shoulders, lamp posts and suchlike. Basically everything to make the road more comfortable.

Downloads
See the release topic.

Screenshots
Below are some screenshots of what you currently can find in this set.

Screenshot courtesy of Quast65

Last edited by FooBar on 08 Jan 2012 17:15, edited 11 times in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Road Furniture

Post by Hyronymus »

kamnet wrote:Is this a NewGRF station set or a NewObject set?
I believe it's a NewObject set after reading the project page on the devzone:
Dutch Road Furniture is an eyecandy object NewGRF that features road furniture which can be found alongside Dutch roads.
EDIT: Silly me forgets to mention this is a nice idea. NewObjects will make games nicer if you can be bothered to fund some realism.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Pfft, stole my idea!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Leanden wrote:Pfft, stole my idea!
Did you have a patent on it :P?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

This is indeed an object set, so no station misuse here :)
Leanden wrote:Pfft, stole my idea!
That is very well possible. I believe I read somewhere someone pondering a British road signs set. And I figured I could make something Dutch myself :)
But if it's indead you're idea, I'll credit you in the next release if you want.

EDIT:
Hyronymus wrote:Silly me forgets to mention this is a nice idea. NewObjects will make games nicer if you can be bothered to fund some realism.
Thanks!
Attachments
dutch_fingerposts.png
dutch_fingerposts.png (24.09 KiB) Viewed 30958 times
Last edited by FooBar on 09 Sep 2011 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Its a little bit different to my GRF, in my GRF ive put the roadsigns straight onto the road graphics as not to interfere with buildings and such.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That wouldn't work with signs this big. Ideally it should be possible to build objects directly on road (or rail for that matter).
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Your signs like kind of massive compared to the RVs though. so maybe they need to be scaled down, the signs i used for my set (and these are quite big IRL: Image) And they are only 5 pixels high.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Leanden wrote:Your signs like kind of massive compared to the RVs though. so maybe they need to be scaled down, the signs i used for my set (and these are quite big IRL: Image) And they are only 5 pixels high.
The Dutch fingerposts are that high.

@FooBar: They look nice, I will use them sometime soon.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Beautiful, this make a dutch eyecandy map complete.

It would be nice to have some kind of guardrail. So you cnn make nice highways without big cities building along them.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I just looked at the way posts: The signs attached to the post don't hide anything of it. It'd look probably better, if they overlapped the post they're attached to by one px.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

jor[D]1 wrote:It would be nice to have some kind of guardrail.
I have some ideas for that, but haven't found the time to draw them yet. So yes, those will be added eventually.
planetmaker wrote:It'd look probably better, if they overlapped the post they're attached to by one px.
Yes, you may be quite right. I'll investigate that whenever I intend to fix the "hovering".
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I'm back with a teaser from the hard shoulder, to show you what I'm working on right now. I must say I quite like it myself :D

A screenshot perhaps? Yes, here's one:
hardshoulder.png
hardshoulder.png (7.66 KiB) Viewed 31339 times
If you still don't get what it is: it's a hard shoulder to be built next to roads. Makes them look motorway-ish and prevents houses building themselves next to the road. The roads themselves are of course still your normal roads that vehicles can use!

I agree that this isn't Dutch in particular, but some later variations on this adding guardrails, lamppost and traffic signs will be inspired by Dutch roads though. Can you get this anywhere? Not yet; what you see in the screenshot is everything I have drawn and coded so far.

Hope you like it, too bad if you don't :wink:
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

It supports corners too, right? :shock:

PS Maybe make the color of the line configurable to allow NA Roads support?
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I'd slightly step down on the brightness of the white lines. They seem more shiny than the middle one - while they usually are less so.

But great stuff! :-)

Btw, as idea for implementation, I go for a similar thing with the fenced land: an object can have 1, 2 or 4 vies. The road shoulders could get like 4 views where one is plain, 2 are one thing or another and the 4ths is a random thing (all additionally next to the shoulder, like signs, trees, ... as you mentioned). this might make for some variety while also giving the player some choice and not cluttering the menu ;-)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Level Crossing wrote:It supports corners too, right?
Not yet, but I intend to make tiles for corners. Outside corner will be a bit tricky though...
Also the slopes need separate graphics.
Level Crossing wrote:PS Maybe make the color of the line configurable to allow NA Roads support?
The line colour is actually fine for NA Roads, as roads in North America have yellow lines in the middle and white lines at the sides. But it's the tarmac that's the problem; I'm using the OpenGFX road sprites to make the shoulders and these just don't fit the NA Roads, see for yourself:
hardshoulder_NARoads.png
hardshoulder_NARoads.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 31305 times
On the other hand I've seen numerous hards shoulders in the US made from a different type of tarmac/asphalt than the actual road surface, so in that sense it could work that it's different...
At this point I don't have plans to draw matching sprites for any other road set myself, but if someone else wants to make the sprites I can look into adding them.
planetmaker wrote:I'd slightly step down on the brightness of the white lines. They seem more shiny than the middle one - while they usually are less so.
Actually I used the very same colour, it's probably because of the larger 'surface' that it looks brighter. I'll make them less bright, as they are currently too bright for my liking as well :)
planetmaker wrote:But great stuff! :-)
Thanks!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

FooBar wrote:Outside corner will be a bit tricky though...
In retrospect the inside corner is probably the more tricky one. Needs "only" nine sprites to cover all possible adjacent sloped road configurations. And that times four for all corners :evil: The outside corner needs just two sprites and doesn't care about slopes at all. So as you can guess the corners will take a little longer.

I inted to make all corners "automatic", which means that if you place two perpendicular "shoulder pieces" they will automatically show the corner sprite. Don't know how that will work out in code, but it should be possible I reckon.
corners.png
corners.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 31247 times
Straight pieces are done for both flat tiles and all possible slopes. I decided to "cheat" a bit (well, actually the whole thing is a cheat because the shoulders are actually coded as building and are moved outside of their original tile, but I digress) and not follow perpendicular slopes exactly and covering those slightly. Judge for yourself, but I think it works.
Attachments
slopes.png
slopes.png (43.22 KiB) Viewed 31247 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I know im coming up with this pretty late in your development stage, but why did you make the hard shoulder sit on a different tile. Right now the hard shoulder is wider than the actual road lanes which is not realistically scaled at all. The green space along the current roads, changed into a hard shoulder would have been more than wide enough to keep in scale without spilling out onto another tile.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The reason for the separate tiles is that you simply cannot build objects on top of road tiles. So they have to be next to it. I didn't want to change the actual road sprites: I don't want shoulders everywhere. The added benefit of using am additional tile is that this prevents houses being constructed next to roads with this shoulder.

If you look closeley the paved shoulders are just slightly narrower than the width of a lane. This is precisely the case in the Netherlands.

Return to “Graphics Development”