US Set Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: US Set Development Thread

Post by oberhümer »

PikkaBird wrote: Lower running costs for multiheading already well and truly is the case in NARS and UKRS2. :)
Why not put that on their wiki pages? (although that would probably mean a whole new page about variable running costs)
EyeMWing wrote:the available liveries would make it clear enough
Most people won't know them, even those who do care.
Last edited by oberhümer on 23 Aug 2011 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

PikkaBird wrote:
Lower running costs for multiheading already well and truly is the case in NARS and UKRS2. :)
Thats interesting - how much is it reduced by?
Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pack man »

IDK if this set is dead or not. But here's a little something for it.

F45 could be a random SD45 refit, although the MILW one should be an FP45 (later used for freight)
Attachments
US set is not dead.PNG
US set is not dead.PNG (10.42 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

I'm trying to use a parameter in US Train Set 0.87.4:

Supplying parameters to the American Transition set

The American Transition set currently supports six options. Simply add up the "value" numbers and put them after the "newgrf/usset[w].grf" line in your newgrf.cfg file, for example "newgrf/usset.grf 65" to reduce passenger and mail loading rates and disable the grade crossings.

Parameter bit 0 (value 1) will deactivate the American grade crossings included with the set, in case you have another roadset installed.
Parameter bit 1 (value 2) will deactivate the set in the temperate climate.
Parameter bit 2 (value 4) will deactivate the set in the arctic climate.
Parameter bit 3 (value 8) will deactivate the set in the sub-tropical climate.
Parameter bit 4 (value 16) will give consistent boxcars for the same cargo. Normally, American trains, even carrying the same cargo, will have wildly different styles and liveries of traincars, which in this set is provided by random graphics; this parameter disables the randomizing function, so the same car type and cargo will always have the same appearance, as in original TTD.
Parameter bit 5 (value 32) will change the behaviour of the Acela Express and HSE 'Sunset' trains slightly so that the AI can use them more effectively.
Parameter bit 6 (value 64) will change passenger and mail loading rates to 10 of each per tick.
Parameter bit 7 (value 128) will remove the length restriction of 8 cars (including the engine) for multiple units.

In the majority of cases, no parameters or bit 1 only (set in order to coexist with the DB Set ["newgrf/usset[w].grf 2"]) will be appropriate.

I want to use:
Parameter bit 4 (value 16) will give consistent boxcars for the same cargo. Normally, American trains, even carrying the same cargo, will have wildly different styles and liveries of traincars, which in this set is provided by random graphics; this parameter disables the randomizing function, so the same car type and cargo will always have the same appearance, as in original TTD.

And in OpenTTD I set:
Number of parameters: 1

Parameter 1: 16

But the wagons keep having different liveries :(

I've also tried setting 8 parameters, like 0 0 0 0 16 0 0 0.. No luck..

HELP :bow:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Are you setting this in your NewGRF config before you start a new game, or are you trying to apply it to a current savegame?
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Before starting
Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pack man »

Some new EP5s:
Attachments
USset EP5.PNG
USset EP5.PNG (8.22 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

we need some new steam engines. what i was thinking is like mid-19th century steam. i know that there is a set that already has engines dating to the 4-2-0 norris. i was just thinking that this set could use a 4-4-0, probably pennsylvania's d16sb. also, throw in the m-497 black beetle, a yellowstone, and a 4-6-0 if your up to it. also, where is the us set's ecs extension?
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

Hi guys,
I've decided to take over this set's revival set, know as RUST (Revived US Train Set), originally started by EyeMWing. I was thinking that I could reuse you set's cars & engines and using them in the re-continued set. I also plan on adding more engines, mostly steam, to the set. I would like your help if possible to "grow" the set. I might contact PikkaBird for help also. So, what do you think?
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

I was lured back to this site earlier by a PM. I noticed someone requested the source for the US Set. You will probably be disappointed with what is attached but I found that file on my computer (though I couldn't find the associated sprites - they may be elsewhere). I didn't use all that many comments - far too much of it was in my head. I am unlikely to work on the set in the forseeable future. But if this helps someone with their own improvements then that's great.
Attachments
ussetw.NFO
US Set v0.86 original NFO
(537.04 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

I've just noticed that in the tropic climate, there is no train car for coal when used with the ECS vectors, at least not in the early days (i'm in 1925). E.g the "Small mineral hopper" available in temperate and arctic is not available in tropic.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

Very good set but lack buildings like Chicago Union Station, New York among others.
Jatnascar02
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jatnascar02 »

Well i love the train set so far especially the MBTA train since i live in Boston. But i thank there should be more Amtrak trains like the metroliner, and the livery of the coaches shoud change when the p40 turns into the p42 as well as the ame7. But good job so far
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Are you guys still looking at this thread?

I was wondering if I could borrow some sprites like the Jet Train and 2-6-6-6 Allegheny sprites for the NARS Add-on Set. Of course credit will be given to the artist(s) that drew the sprites I borrow.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I still follow the thread. I don't have any problem with borrowing sprites out of it, I'd love to see an updated modernized version of the whole set, or seeing it all rolled into NARS. There's a lot of complexity in the older versions that seem not to be widely available, e.g. the different styles of signals for each climate that haven't appeared in any other set AFAIK.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

krtaylor wrote:I still follow the thread. I don't have any problem with borrowing sprites out of it, I'd love to see an updated modernized version of the whole set, or seeing it all rolled into NARS. There's a lot of complexity in the older versions that seem not to be widely available, e.g. the different styles of signals for each climate that haven't appeared in any other set AFAIK.
Alright, thanks, could you tell me who made the graphics for these sprites so I can provide proper credits?

H8 Allegheny

Jet Train

M2 "Cosmopolitan"

Alco RSD-15

GE 44-Ton Switcher

Bombardier ALP-46

and

Colorado DMU and Bi-Level DMU

Mind you these will be modified to replace the real life liveries to 2cc liveries, basically just a recolor of the sprites.

As you can see here I already have a H8 Allegheny going :) It can really tackle pretty steep hills hauling a train full of coal (520,000 metric tonnes of coal) while still moving 65-70 mph
Attachments
h8_allegheny.png
h8_allegheny.png (94.98 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, they are all listed in the Credits on this old dev website:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/index.html

You will want to consult the license in the Readme for the set regarding credits and permissions:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/USSet_Readme.htm
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

krtaylor wrote:Yes, they are all listed in the Credits on this old dev website:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/index.html

You will want to consult the license in the Readme for the set regarding credits and permissions:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/USSet_Readme.htm
Well I already have permission from DanMacK to use their stuff seeing as they also did a bunch of stuff for NARS which I'm also using sprites from.

It'll be a big help that I can use sprites that have already been drawn as I rarely have the patience to make my own sprites.

Return to “Graphics Development”