Roller Coaster Tycoon Engine Prototype 0.2

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Roller Coaster Tycoon Engine Prototype 0.2

Post by timfrombriz »

Hey guys,

Been tinkering away on my little toy...
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=54638

Here is version 0.2, not too much to see yet, but the main engine behind the scenes is really tight, efficient and designed with the future in mind

- Now renders in DirectX instead of GDI
- Killed All bugs so everything is 100% stable (ie. Moving a window past the screen edge crashed, mouse pointer didnt clip on edge of screen)
- Improved Window/Mouse functionality and how it integrates with Windows
- Behind the scenes stuff mainly, just to get it really optimized for speed

Next part Im working on will be the real guts, the Mapping system, Tile Heights, Vertical faces, sprites, big maps. I got it all blueprinted, and hope to have a prototype ready by September.

Download 0.2 by the link below...
http://anotherprophecy.com/system/scrip ... %200.2.zip

Appreciate Feedback - Motivates me to work so I can show off new features :P
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Roller Coaster Tycoon Engine Prototype 0.2

Post by JacobD88 »

Fantastic work :bow:

Downloading now!

With your plans for the map array, seen as you mentioned "Big Maps" are you going to permit very large maps of 1000's by 1000's of tiles al la OTTD? Or just double or triple size? I always found the RCT engine very limiting in map sizes (as with all the CS games)

EDIT: You may want to fix the link; it only downloads "IsoMatrix", with no suffix, i had to manually rename it to a zip file
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Question, why? Don't fix something that ain't broke, and RCT was one of the least broken games of its years.

Apart from RCT:3. Don't get me started on that one.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Jolteon wrote:Question, why? Don't fix something that ain't broke, and RCT was one of the least broken games of its years.
Why not? The same reason TTDPatch and OTTD got made, i guess - add more features, fix any bugs and just to explore your coding skills :)

Will take a look at this, it looks interesting :)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Jolteon wrote:Question, why? Don't fix something that ain't broke, and RCT was one of the least broken games of its years.
So was TT. He isn't fixing anything, and he doesn't say anything is broken. And *because* RCT is a damn epic game (apart from RCT3, which was epic fail), I'm really looking forward to a project which expands the fun I had in RCT, similar to how OpenTTD expands the fun from TT, even though it wasn't broken.

So, good job. Even though a chuck of tiles is rather boring to look at, I know code-wise it isn't that simple :P Keep it up and keep us informed :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

This is impressive. Do go on.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

It may not be broken, but there are certainly points that can be improved.

Very impressive btw, I have just one small comment though: is it at all possible for you to also make it run under Linux and possibly Mac? I would certainly love to be able to play RCT on Linux once I get around to reinstalling that again :P
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I'd love a Linux version too, but the other topic says: "It renders solely using Windows GDI, no SDL, no DirectX, no OpenGL". ( http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=947264#p947264 )
So I guess we have to wait until MS ports his GDI to Linux :p

It's a pity you're not using C or C++, the BASIC may be portable, the inline ASM is going to be a nightmare.

Any chance of releasing source code?
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

XeryusTC wrote:and possibly Mac?
This. I only own Macs.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Locomotion is using the same (or a modified version) of this engine. Maybe an idea? :)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by timfrombriz »

Thanks for the feedback. :) Appreciate it.

At this moment, Im making good progress on the mapping system, but juggling personal life requirements around it, so I dont get much time in the day to implement, but rather sit at work pondering how to solve the next issue in the engine, lol.

This isn't going to be a remake of Rollercoaster Tycoon, I dont want to be sued, and the RCT name still makes $$$ so someone will be pissed if I did. What this project is aiming to do is implement a engine design that mimics RCT 1/2 and Locomotion, during the trial I will use RCT graphics to do testing/demos, but making a RCT clone is too risky legally. One day RCT may fissle out enough that Atari dont give a crap about the franchise anymore but with talk of RCT 4 I dont think thats likely. RCT 2 isnt broke either in my opinion as discussed by some, but I would like some added features into the game, how about a terrain tool to make mountains (was in RCT 1 but taken out of RCT 2), bigger maps and allowing more peeps, day/night time and lighting effects in the world, there just a few things I can think of.

Once I have a solid game engine, I may start to consider game ideas, something in the midst of Cities in Motion/Transport Giant / Industry Giant 2 / Transport Tycoon, or maybe something unique, like a Mall Tycoon in isometric view. Don't know for sure, but that's not where I'm focused on at the moment.

The engine is coded in Visual Basic, and at this stage Im keeping it closed source, because its my personal hobby. Thus, Mac and Linux wont be supported any time soon, but I want to port it to C++ one day, but because my strength is in VB, and because it allows me to quickly develop, I think its a good platform to build a solid prototype. At this stage, performance isnt a bottleneck.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

timfrombriz wrote:during the trial I will use RCT graphics to do testing/demos,
You do realise Atari will own the rights to RCT, and all materials within, right? Meaning those textures/graphics are more than likely copyrighted. You should probably try throwing together some quick textures, for the sake of real immunity from Atari/Sawyer.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Jolteon wrote:
timfrombriz wrote:during the trial I will use RCT graphics to do testing/demos,
You should probably try throwing together some quick textures, for the sake of real immunity from Atari/Sawyer.
Or search around the RCT sites out there and use graphics that have been released openly to the public domain. Fortunately, with RCT been such a popular game, there's pretty much a sprite replacement for all elements out there if you search around :mrgreen:

Only issue would be continuity of quality and style using public domain sprites. So maybe making your own or finding a permanent artist to assist you would be better (Afterall, CS did this with TTO/TTD) as then you get the continuity and hopefully, close working relationship, that will bring your engine forward
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

You could also do what Openttd did in its early years (I think) which is require you to import the graphics from the original purchased game files.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

That is true; at least that way if any legal issues arise it falls on the user to explain why they don't own a purchased copy of RCT as you haven't distributed anything that's copyrighted
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

timfrombriz wrote:
Once I have a solid game engine, I may start to consider game ideas, something in the midst of Cities in Motion/Transport Giant / Industry Giant 2 / Transport Tycoon, or maybe something unique, like a Mall Tycoon in isometric view. Don't know for sure, but that's not where I'm focused on at the moment.
I would genuinely love to see a good quality property development game in isometric view. Or some sort of retail tycoon game, where you manage a chain of hypermarkets or similar.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Looks nice.

The processor usage is over 50% on my Pentium 4.
Locomotion had the same problem, It takes a lot of processing cycles on my CPU.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

maquinista wrote:Pentium 4.

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
K.Y.Chung
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by K.Y.Chung »

It should be a great encouragement for me to continue developing add-on objects for lomo as I see the hope for an open-source clone of lomo. Keep going on, and I should give donation if it comes true :wink:
Visit Nanyue Express for my railway car drawings
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Daan Timmer wrote:
maquinista wrote:Pentium 4.
I am not an expert about PC hardware. I know that It runs at 3Ghz and It has 1 Gb of RAM. The OS is Windows XP.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “Off-Topic”