Dutch Tram Set Release Candidate 1 released 2008/08/12

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

BlueEagle_nl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Dutch Tram Set Release Candidate 1 released 2008/08/12

Post by BlueEagle_nl »

With the Dutch Trainset nearing copletion, how's progress on the Tramset?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

None at all. IMO, the only thing that would qualify as "bug" is the capacity not displayed correctly in the purchase menu. I'll fix that some day and then I think we can release a final version 1.0.
BlueEagle_nl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by BlueEagle_nl »

ok, take ur time. I've got till March 1st to finish the Trainset ;)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

He... we found some funny glitches in one of the trams when they turn the wagons seem to go all directions:
tram turning
tram turning
screenshot#1.png (3.43 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
tram name & another alignment issue
tram name & another alignment issue
screenshot#3.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
The vehicles otherwise look very great, though :) Good job.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That indeed are signs of misalignment. Also, that's not a Dutch tram, so you most likely are in the wrong topic. :wink:
It looks like a vehicle from the Modern Tramset to me, so you might want to check there.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

I found 2 glitches in the newer trams of the set.

the DTTM "Rendalyne" never comes available, even in 2037 it is still not available.
the DTTM "SlrTrm" has a speed of 11km-h.

Besides that, the set is great to work with!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

What game and what version of it are you using?

The rendalyne might be discontinued in the latest version of this set. The 11 km/h speed is clearly an error, but to investigate that further I need to know what game you are using.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

Sorry about the late reply, i'm using oTTD 0.7.3 with eGRTVSv1.0, dutch tramset RC1(r26) and generic tram set v0.4
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Maybe you can check if that also happens with no other road vehicle sets loaded. Multiple of those things sometimes fight each other. Quite frankly I don't have the time to check that out myself right now, but if you could determine if it's really broken, I can add fixing it to my very long to-do list. ;)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

It's almost three years since the release of Release Candidate 1, and I thought it was time to do a complete overhaul of the Dutch Tram Set.

What can you expect? First of all a couple of fixes, like the alignment of vehicles (especially in corners) and the capacity stated in the purchase menu (this only listed the capacity of the first articulated part).

You can also expect some new features, like extended vehicle information in the purchase menu, see screenshot below. I also plan to add 2CC support to all vehicles, which allows you to choose between the real liveries or company colours, which I think is useful in multiplayer games. An option to allow the vehicles to refit to any cargo you like can also be expected; who am I to decide what you want to carry in a passenger tram?

Furthermore, the code will be completely rewritten in NML. Progress of this all can be followed at the #openttdcoop DevZone, and as soon as all original vehicles are coded you can expect nightly releases there as well.

Lastly, I plan on adding more vehicles! Because this is a lot of work, I am looking for graphic artists and statistics researchers. Basically all trams that were ever used in the Netherlands are acceptable, but the main focus is public transport and historically important trams. I've added some details on how you can help to the TT-wiki: http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Dutch_Tram_Set#Development
Please note that the new set will be licensed GPL v2 and higher, so all contributions must comply with that license.
Attachments
example.png
example.png (5.41 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Sorry for the double post, but I like to point to some new developments.

A wiki page for the collection of vehicle properties has been set up. If you want to help finding vehicle properties, you can add your efforts there. The tables you find there are templated, so they should be easy to use and it should be easy to add more vehicles as well.
You can log in to the tt-wiki with your tt-forums account.

Of course, the template can also be used for other road vehicle sets.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

something i noticed looking at your vehicle list in the previous post: the vehicles appear as going to the right, while the convention in all other sets is that vehicles go to the left.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That is exactly correct (and on purpose). Most vehicles only have doors on the right hand side; this side is far more interesting to show in the purchase menu than the other side without doors. :D
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

hm, ok, that makes some sense. but it might bite you in the face when you want to adopt features like "road vehicle wagons" [which may or may not come in the future]
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I use separate sprites for the purchase menu, so that shouldn't be too problematic in the future.

Road vehicle wagons of some sort would be nice though. I'm currently thinking of the best way to implement wagons for some vehicles: two separate vehicles (one with and one without trailer), or accomplishing that via refits. Code-wise it doesn't matter much, but I'm not sure what's most practical from a gameplay perspective. On the one hand a long vehicle list is annoying. On the other hand, a long refit list with every cargo option twice (one with, one without trailer) is also annoying. Plus I want a vehicle without trailer to be cheaper than one with. In case of refits, this means that a player should get (some) money back when refitting to remove the trailer. Don't know yet if that is possible.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

using refits is a bit tricky, since the number of vehicles is fixed after building, so you need shortened invisible vehicles when having fewer wagons. HEQS does it this way. But you may get unwanted increased distance between two vehicles if doing that incorrectly.

using different vehicles is probably easier, but you get a longer purchase list.

there might be a refit cost callback, but i don't know how usable that is.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I had a look at the specs. It appears that you cannot refund money.
That leaves adding all variants as a different vehicle as the only feasible option IMO.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:I use separate sprites for the purchase menu, so that shouldn't be too problematic in the future.

Road vehicle wagons of some sort would be nice though. I'm currently thinking of the best way to implement wagons for some vehicles: two separate vehicles (one with and one without trailer), or accomplishing that via refits. Code-wise it doesn't matter much, but I'm not sure what's most practical from a gameplay perspective. On the one hand a long vehicle list is annoying. On the other hand, a long refit list with every cargo option twice (one with, one without trailer) is also annoying. Plus I want a vehicle without trailer to be cheaper than one with. In case of refits, this means that a player should get (some) money back when refitting to remove the trailer. Don't know yet if that is possible.
Both is annoying and both is desirable ;-)

Two vehicles allow to use the autoreplace option - which is nice. But it lengthens the vehicle purchase list - which is annoying
One vehicle with the refit option keeps the purchase list clean - which is nice. But autoreplace won't work and it has to be refit manually - which is annoying. But it can be refit via orders - which again is nice ;-)

So it's more a matter of making a choice and choosing between two evils (or two cherry cakes - depends on how you look at it).
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Being able to use autoreplace seems to be a big advantage over a cleaner vehicle list.
Besides, it's not that there are 50 different trams available at any one time. Including with/without trailer options max 10 I reckon.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Good progress has been made. Nearly all vehicles have been recoded in NML (still awaiting permission from Bastiaan for the 'Sneltram Utrecht') and some variations on existing models have been added (models that previously came with a trailer are now also available without the trailer). The screenshot below shows an overview.

Nightly Builds
Nightly builds have been enabled and will be available from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchtramset/nightlies/. Please note that these nightlies are currently not compatible with the previous RC1 of the Dutch Tram Set, so you can only use them in new games. I cannot guarantee that I will not break compatibility again, but I'll try to restore compatibility with RC1.

Currently known bugs:
- Vehicles without trailer are still just as expensive as vehicles with trailer.
- HTM 3100 only has one livery (4 others will be added later).

Translations
I will be accepting translations for the different strings in the set. You can find the language files here. The main translation file with all strings is English, but you need not translate all strings (see Dutch for example). Improvements for the English strings are also welcome; I'm sure I made some gramatical errors here or there.

Vehicle properties
Vehicle properties of all vehicles need to be reviewed. You can help me with that by finding missing properties and adding them here.
Attachments
dutchtramset_r45.png
dutchtramset_r45.png (11.33 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

Return to “Graphics Development”