32Bpp Graphics Pack (13/03/2010)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sufkop
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 32Bpp Graphics Pack (13/03/2010)

Post by Sufkop »

:?: :?: ??? :?: :?:
Where are you talking about???
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Sufkop wrote:By the way; how long does it take to model one train?
{now ending off-topic}
I don't know... there are lots of things: watch photos, model in blender (some hours), create the liveries, render the sprites, watch that I have forgotten to add the shadow plane on some of them, and render them again...
There are some freight wagons with lots of combinations (4 colours, various cargos, various loading stages..).

Also, now I have learned how to model a vehicle who needs the same offsets than other vehicles, and It is easier to code, but I have spent lots of time coding the 440s trains and other stuff sprite by sprite... :lol:
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
joostlek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joostlek »

:arrow: hello,
i will be a beginner 23-bit graphics maker but what for a program you use. do you use aint or another progam. and PNGcodec doesn't startup i've got 2 WIN7 pc's and 1 WINXP and by one WIN7 and by the WINXP he still doesn't anything and my pc must i restart :( . but wath for program you use for making of the .PNG. :))

:mrgreen: joost :mrgreen:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

pngcodec is a commandline program. You need to use it via a command window. Doubleclicking the executable will not work.
joostlek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joostlek »

how do you do that i have only an executable but i can't startup from a commandline (that's cmd.exe, right?). but what of program you use for making .PNG files

:mrgreen: joost :mrgreen:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Use the graphics programme of your choice to create the graphics files. Even if you want to create 32bpp files, it might be a good idea though to choose one which can handle palettes properly
joostlek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joostlek »

planetmaker wrote:Use the graphics programme of your choice to create the graphics files. Even if you want to create 32bpp files, it might be a good idea though to choose one which can handle palettes properly
but between what programs can i choose??? ?(
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

joostlek wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Use the graphics programme of your choice to create the graphics files. Even if you want to create 32bpp files, it might be a good idea though to choose one which can handle palettes properly
All those and more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... cs_editors

Most people I work with use either Gimp or Photoshop
joostlek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joostlek »

planetmaker wrote:
joostlek wrote:
All those and more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... cs_editors

Most people I work with use either Gimp or Photoshop
but how are you drawing. do you put the picture that you renovate at the background and than overwrite or do you out of your head without example
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

How you want to draw is up to you. I think most people either make a 3D model first in Blender or 3DSMax and then convert that to a 2D image with the correct size. Others directly draw a 2D image, either by drawing from their imagination, or looking at some photographs for inspiration.

If you're having troubles with the command line, I recommend reading something about basic DOS commands, in particular cd and -?. Or have a look at visual png codec: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=43671
Cyrilshark
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cyrilshark »

Hi, how do I use this on a Mac?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Same as on any other operating system. Put the graphics in the data dir and off you go. You might want to read the posts from June 22nd and onward in this topic, as somebody asked the very same question.
Quince99
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quince99 »

Having read through pages and pages of information about 32bpp graphics I have reluctantly conceded defeat in that, despite spending time and effort downloading and re-downloading files, nothing actually works.

My PC is hugely capable in terms of hardware and I have a great many TAR or GRF data files that are 32bpp. There is so much detailed and, in some cases, contradictory information that it has not proven possible to achieve the images shown in some of the excellent screenshots.

As a result, I shall wait until (if) the project is completed and EVERYTHING can be packaged into one archive that is consistent and in a position to run immediately once unzipped without hours of tweaking, fiddling or reconfiguring.

The quality of the 32bpp graphics in the screenshots is superb and I congratulate the talented designers and artists who have brought so much to realisation already. Naturally, I am disappointed that I cannot experience it at firsthand...
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Return to “Graphics Development”